BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 45d, 20h, 32m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5624MB of 11669MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating system        Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:57 am 

I know that cisco routers and switches run on an operating system, but I can't seem to find a topic or a thread on it.

By the way. Does anyone know how to switch from, "Router(Config)#" to "Router(Config-if)#" mode in the cisco OS, on cisco Router?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 pm 
Donator

I don't think Cisco IOS is that much imporant to deserve its own forum section. Regarding your second question, you enter "interface [interface name]" to the config prompt, e.g. for fa0/0 you type "interface fa0/0".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:47 pm 

A.S. aka nanocomp.invent. wrote:
I know that cisco routers and switches run on an operating system, but I can't seem to find a topic or a thread on it.

That depends upon the version of IOS you're referring to.

The classic IOS (say for GSR, Cat6k/7600, c8xx, c2900 etc) is a single monolithic program with a cooperative scheduler, and no protection between tasks. So not an OS as such; or to view it another way akin to how windows 3.1 (or classic MacOS) is structured, albeit not a 16 bit program.

Later developments do use a distinct kernel, and memory protection (i.e. IOS XR using QNX Neutrino, and IOS-XE having a Linux kernel).

You also have CatOS used on some of the older switches, but that may be EOL by now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
There is also Cisco NX-OS which is used on basically all of their newer datacenter switches (Nexus). The syntax is mainly the same as IOS but there are some subtle (and some not-so-subtle) differences that can make your life a bit harder ;-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
PIX firewalls had/have PIX OS.

There must be more Cisco OSes :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:38 pm 

DOS wrote:

There were a bunch (including PIX, CatOS) which came from acquisitions, and eventually got replaced with versions of IOS (classic).

Some internal developments were stillborn.

IOS, IOS-XE, IOS-XR were essentially home grown. XE had an interesting history (using Linux as a core/kernel), and IOS (classic) as a daemon. XR uses Neutrino as a core/kernel, with almost entirely new code.

I believe NX-OS was also home grown - but I never worked on it, so would have to ask around to be sure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!

By the way. Does anyone know how to switch from, "Router(Config)#" to "Router(Config-if)#" mode in the cisco OS, on cisco Router?

The OS you are using is Cisco IOS. Yes Apple bought the name later.

To exit a config level type in

Exit

It's that simple.

There are large books written on using IOS. It's a little weird at first, but not too complicated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
DOS wrote:
PIX firewalls had/have PIX OS.

The Catalyst switches originally from another company, and Cisco rebranded their os CatOS. I felt the router IOS everywhere was a big mistake, but I was just a custom..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:54 am 

Does anyone know how to switch from, "Router(Config)#" to "Router(Config-if)#" mode in the cisco OS, on cisco Router?

Type the interface name (e.g. interface FastEthernet 0/0).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there any discussion about cisco routers Operating sy        Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
louisw3 wrote:
The Catalyst switches originally from another company, and Cisco rebranded their os CatOS. I felt the router IOS everywhere was a big mistake, but I was just a custom..

So do you think it is a mistake to have IOS everywhere on a Catalyst 6500, and it is better to run IOS on the MSFC but CatOS on the supervisor? *hehe* Just kidding, what matters there isn't so much the two different OSes, it was the two different places to perform configuration, and once IOS was used on both processors the configuration was shared, if I recall correctly.

Top  Profile