BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 21h, 17m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 2001MB of 4305MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: UNIX/LINUX for Laptop - again        Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I've got a laptop, 16MB RAM, 1.3GB HDD space, and no CD drive, and no way of hooking it up to my desktop machine. I'd like to fix it up with a UNIX or LINUX system so I can just muck about with it; programming and whatnot. GUIs, I'm not too bothered about, but if I can just have TWM on it that'd be OK (how much memory would that require?). I've tried MINIX, but the versions I put on it seemed to be broken (no man pages, half the software missing!).

What I want is a generic UNIX (or UNIX-like) system that I can use on the machine, just to learn to program, and to fart around with (I've asked this before, and kept being put onto CD images and systems that obviously won't work on it, like Ubuntu or whatever.). I want, specifically, something from around the 1996-or-so era that will have no problem running on the machine!

Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:29 pm 
FTP Access

Damn Small Linux would run great on that computer. I am just not sure how you could put it on there. Could you use a flash drive or a usb cd drive?

http://damnsmalllinux.org/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
No USB or anything on it I'm afraid.

I said I was after a period version, 1996 or so, anyway. I'm thinking, if there's a version of Slackware or FreeBSD, or even 386BSD; or whatever. I just can't remember where the archives are, that's why I asked. It's mainly text-only I want it as well - if there's a version of TWM that can autodetect an 800*600*4bit colour laptop monitor without me guffing around with it, then that's OK, but I can't see myself using any X applications on it.

BTW, does anywhere know where the MINIX 2.0.0 man pages have gone?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:28 pm 
Donator

People are going to tell you use this and that version of linux, but even damn small linux is hefty for such a machine anymore... believe me, I've tried oh so many on my fathers Celeron 300, with 64MB of ram.... Damn Small linux, Xubuntu, Gentoo... linux is just a bird that has grown into a walrus.

My recommendation would be to grab a linux of that era... Slackware 3.3 or Redhat 6... something with a 2.2 kernel, with the option of moving to 2.4 if you have the need/resources. Slackware is good for that.

If you don't at least have a floppy drive, you are pretty much screwed. If you do however, Slackware, and several version of linux back then came in sets of floppy disks. Also, there are plenty of boot-over-serial-port boot floppies out there, and you can have a tftp server waiting on the other side to provide an image to put on there.

The best suggestion, however, is to just go to a local shop and pick up a laptop hard drive adapter, plug the laptop harddrive into your desktop, and at least put a minimal image on it that way.

Good luck.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Yeah, that's what I've been after. Specifically, I'm after a set of floppy images for Slack 3.x for it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:06 pm 
Donator

ftp://ftp.cs.stevens-tech.edu/pub/Linux ... slackware/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 pm 
Slackware is the the first thing that pops into my head. That or Redhat (although that may have come after 1996).

You could always put whatever *current* linux operating system kernel you wanted in and create the illusion of 1996 by using a CDE desktop and legacy versions of programs.

You know, that would be a really neat project, I wanna see what you come up with!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I'm thinking - when a modern system requires at least 64, and most often 128MB of RAM, that might be fun.

And what's more, I prefer TWM!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:21 am 
floppy drive? love hobby operating systems?

Have you heard of MenuetOS?

I know they maintained a whole operating system, with graphical desktop (written mostly in assembly)

I know they have more bloated CD versions now, but check out the older MenuetOS ones. It's a unique operating system, neither linux nor Unix, but I think you'd enjoy it.

Also, the Kerberos project is an offshoot of Menuet, it's probably less what you're looking for, but I thought you should check it out for your main computer sometime if you do enjoy Menuet.

Best of luck, innovati!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:34 am 
Permanently Banned

innovati wrote:
Also, the Kerberos project is an offshoot of Menuet, it's probably less what you're looking for, but I thought you should check it out for your main computer sometime if you do enjoy Menuet.

Why'd they use the same name as the security/authentication protocol?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:11 pm 
Donator

Zimmy wrote:
innovati wrote:

Why'd they use the same name as the security/authentication protocol?

I know of a MenuetOS fork called KolibriOS, maybe he's referring to that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I've looked at MenuetOS, and it looks good; but I don't think it's really what I want. I specifically want a UNIX-derived OS that I can insall to a smallish partition and multiboot with WindowsNT (3.51, I think), just to play with when I'm needing something to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 pm 
Donator

I have an ISO of 386BSD 0.1 if that's of any interest. It's from 1992. Or, if that's too old, 4.4BSD-Lite.

Besides, I'd agree with others saying use an older "mainstream" distro of about the same age as the machine. Most modern Linux distros, even those that are "designed for low-power PCs" still require at least 64mb of RAM and will thus run very slowly, if at all, on your machine.

A welcome positive exception is Desktop Light Linux, especially designed for 486 machines with as little as 16 MB RAM, in fact, it is developed on a 486 system w/16MB & running smoothly on that! A full install is said to take about 350 MB. Multi-booting is no problem. I think you should have a look at this one. It uses kernel 2.4 (2.4.34 as of now).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Do either of them (386BSD or 4.4BSD-Lite) have X11 on them?

I think 4.4BSD-Lite looks better, from what I've read about it etc.. How does it install?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:33 pm 
Donator

As far as I can see, 386BSD has no X11, 4.4BSD-Lite has X11R5. However, the 4.4BSD-Lite CD contains source code only so you need an existing OS/another system to compile the OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Aw, nuts :(. 386BSD it'll have to be then. Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:01 am 
Donator

So do you want me to upload it then? It's a 200MB ISO containing both 0.0 and 0.1 as it seems, in the form of floppy images compressed with gzip.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Yes, please. If I can get it working, is it alright if I put a copy on my website for download?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 am 
Donator

Ok, will do this later today or tomorrow. Feel free to offer it for download somewhere else, I got this from an ftp as well (whose address I can't remember otherwise I'd have directed you there).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 pm 
FTP Access

Why not try DeLI (Desktop Light Linux)?
DeLi Linux only needs a 386 with 8 MB RAM as a minimum, and it sounds like it would be perfect for your system.
http://www.delilinux.de/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:47 am 
Donator

intellivision wrote:
Why not try DeLI (Desktop Light Linux)?
DeLi Linux only needs a 386 with 8 MB RAM as a minimum, and it sounds like it would be perfect for your system.
http://www.delilinux.de/

I've already suggested this to him. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:19 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'm going to try this light weight version of Linux on my old P166Mhz 32MB RAM laptop :P

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:40 am 
At one point I used NetBSD on a 50MHz 486DX2 with 8MB of memory and 540MB hard drive space. It could do basic command-line tasks but with 8MB RAM, a GUI of any sort of out of the question.

So, yeah, basically, I'm gonna reccomend NetBSD or OpenBSD for that system. I would strongly avoid a GUI on 16MB RAM :|