BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 18h, 24m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 6147MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:34 pm 

Favourite OS
netware 2.x
I have Novel netware 2.15 but dont know how to install the OS. I have tried searching the net and not able to find any information.

I also tried searching netware 2.2 and not able to find. netware 2.2 has install.exe disk on system-1 but not able to find instalables.

Please help me in this... :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Hm, it's been a long time since I did that.

Have you tried the NETGEN (or ELSGEN) disks? If you're using the version from BA's FTP, the floppy is in the "ELS Level 2" subdirectory. There should be an install.exe on that floppy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0 SP6
His post count is below 3, so he probably doesn't have access to the BA FTP to get it. Outside of that, it's really hard to get a version that's bootable.

At least from what I could find, my version has some utilities for OS/2 and MS-DOS/Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
Offtopic Comment
You can easy determine what group user belongs
If name is RED-FTP access
BLUE-Donator
ORANGE-Admin
GREEN-Staff
PURPLE-VIP
LIGHT BLUE-newly registered

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:29 am 

Favourite OS
Win7
Read through all instructions below before starting.

First of all you need to be using copies of the disks, at least one of the disks are actually written too, maybe more. (AUXGEN, OSEXE and ELSGEN were over written when I just did an test install)

The reason for this is the disks actually run a linker with several obj files to create the actual server component of netware, yes you read the right, there are objs on the disc that represent the different parts of netware as well as network cards and other resources, all of this is linked together to create the final exe which is used (isnt that awesome!). You could also run netware in 2 different modes taking over the machine completely and running as a full server, or co-operating with DOS and allowing the machine to still be used to run DOS programs.

You will need to run this on older hardware, with an early ISA network card, to get any form of network functionallity.

Use the ELSGEN Disk and run the elsgen program, you will do a lot of disk swapping, but thats life :P
Once the menu comes up you will need to select "Select an Operating System", choose which options you need here, dedicated or non
Then select resource set, here select "Select Resource Sets", then "Select Loaded Item", Add what ever options you think are good, ega/cga, com ports, lpt port. Press Escape as many times as needed to get back to the main menu
Then select Lan Driver, here select "Select Loaded Item", There are only a few options, hope you have a IBM token ring, or NE2000 card laying around :P
Escape again to get back to the menu
Then finally select "Generate Operating System, on the next screen you may have to input network address info, press escape to continue (Novell sure loved using escape in wrong ways :P)
You will then get a screen explaining what options you have selected, escape again to continue, then it will ask Yes/No to generate. Select Yes if you are ready.

Lots of disk swapping, be careful with the disk names, there is an EDOBJ-1(dedicated) and ENDOBJ-1(Non-dedicated) disks, that can be confusing. You have to keep swapping the same several disks over and over, this will happen, so dont think its broken, just follow the prompts and you will be fine.

Next it will go back to the installation, here you will need to run the utility to check the harddisk, this is DESTRUCTIVE, so do not run this on a disk you have data on (TRIPLE CHECK THIS), after thats finished you can carry on the installation.

I hope all that makes sense, I can go more indepth if you need it, (I only ran through the ELSGEN part, I didnt have a disk installed at the time that I wanted to destory so didnt go any further than that, I can get one put in if further help is needed though)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:12 pm 

Hi, I have Netware 2.2 that I can share but I am a new user to this site and struggling to see where to upload it. I applied for membership to the FTP Access group but it looks like it was bounced? No message or anything. I don't know how to proceed?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:39 pm 

OK - I found out how to upload; How do I know that NW22 isnt already in the archive?
If not, how do I make sure the upload is attributed to my account?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm 

Favourite OS
Irix 6.5
merlix wrote:
Read through all instructions below before starting.

Next it will go back to the installation, here you will need to run the utility to check the harddisk, this is DESTRUCTIVE, so do not run this on a disk you have data on (TRIPLE CHECK THIS), after thats finished you can carry on the installation.

To speed things up, the trick we used back in the day was once the COMPSURF started, power off, power on and restart the install process, and it will see it as a pre-COMPSURF'd drive. COMPSURF can take HOURS to complete, and it seems they wrote the info to the disk at the beginning, then began the actual COMPSURF process. This is why HDD manufacturers offered "Netware-Ready" drives, like Seagate SCSI drives with a "-NV" suffix on the model number.

Dang. Can't believe I actually remembered that COMPSURF stuff :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help on novell netware 2.15 installation procedure.        Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm 

Favourite OS
MSDOS 3,30
I managed to acquire two 8bit full size bnc network cards (gateway technologies) and a few boxes of 5.25” floppies also marked, gateway communications, with netware 2.15 on them. Once I kryoflux them I can upload if needed. I’ve got to work out what there first.

If memory serves me correct netware 2.x requires the same serial number on the rom as the software serial number. For licensing. I need to investigate my cards to see if this is true.

Regards,

Top  Profile