Oooooooold CP/M

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Chicago
FTP Access

Oooooooold CP/M

Post by Chicago »

Hi!!
Well, if you remember, I once told here the oldest OS I own is a beta of CP/M dated from 1974/5. Well, I have them, but, never tried to run them.
It's the source code, in PLM, and obviously, for an 8 bit processor.
I hope you might help me get a running copy!!
Thank you very much!!!!

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

Hmm, I have no idea how to compile that, but just want to add that I have CP/M from 1981, as well as a *WORKING* Osborne-1 system. I've managed to fool around with the OS on the Osborne, but have not done anything constructive with it. I found the copy of CP/M on ebay, about 2 years ago, still shrink-wrapped (possibly re-packaged, though). I've also got a second, european version of the Osborne-1, with a broken keyboard, which I could not test the OS on.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

The original source, by Gary Kindall (c. 1974) in PL/M was written for the 8080 processor, for which the 8086 maintained limited compatibility. The main things you'd really need to do would be to change the names of the registers where applicable, and alter the file system to acommodate the modern disk structure. Obviously, hard disk support would be out of the question, and even HD floppies would probably not be supported by it either.

Your best bet, concerning disks, would be to have the excess space (after about 160/320K) just not there (same as when you format an HD disk to DD).

Also, there's memory. The 8080 could only address upto 64K of RAM, so you'd just have to ignore all the excess after that, too.

Perhaps, the best thing to do would be to just compile it under SIMH for 8080, and use a custom boot/root Linux floppy to emulate the system, somehow. Either way, it's gonna be bloody hard.

EDIT: spelling/puntuation mistakes
Have a day.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

PS: The version is not a beta, but more a POC - Kindall wrote the system to give his PL/M language a practical use. CP/M just developed from 'primitive' to 'useful,' that's all.
Have a day.