BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 76d, 23h, 9m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6352MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:34 pm 
FTP Access

Well, is Linux better just because it's more secure? Or it's actually Mac? I'd like to know because after Windows 8 support ends I will switch to one of these 'cause I don't like 10.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Well, you have a good 8 years to decide.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Depends on the distribution of Linux you'll be using, as you know there are hundreds to choose from, some good and other less good. Additionally, OS X will require you to purchase Apple hardware unless you're into Hackintosh stuff, in which case you'll need compatible hardware as well if you don't have it already, so either way with OS X additional cost is almost guaranteed. Linux will run on any remotely modern PC and it's completely free.

I can't really comment beyond the above, as I've spent only limited time with Linux and have no experience with OS X whatsoever. And yeah, there's still plenty of time for you to decide on, perhaps by then there'll be a more likeable version of Windows available or maybe you'll simply change your mind on Windows 10.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
ovctvct wrote:
Well, is Linux better just because it's more secure? Or it's actually Mac? I'd like to know because after Windows 8 support ends I will switch to one of these 'cause I don't like 10.

It's a matter of opinion. Take your pick. Linux has many distros to try, such as Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Fedora, etc. I personally prefer using Linux distros over Mac OS, but you're different from me, so you'll have to found out from experience.

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Here are my opinions:
Debian is a great distro. It's fast, fairly stable and coped quite well on my P(5)3 box.
Ubuntu became bloated and resource hogging in 12, previous versions were very good. However, if you have resources, you could run it well. It's on like version 15 now, so I don't know if it has changed.
Personally, I like Mint the most because it is a bit of middle ground between Debian and ubuntu. It's fast, stable and its desktop has a bit of similarity with Windows.

It's a good idea to try out the many versions and distros in a VM so you can see which one you like the most. We really can't decide for you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:59 pm 

Favourite OS
linux
Mac osX had very nice gui,but you need to buy expensive apple hw,hackintosh stuff is in my opinion total sh..
You need intel hw,some(most) drivers can cause problems other doesn't work,and when you apply security updates you need a backup and tons of guide because kernel incompatibilities and other pretty things.
I inist :Mac os is for Mac(really mac) machines.
I forgot,nice gui(a little boring) of MAC,nice apps easy to use and..unix core!Yes mac os X is certified unix.
Linux?For some things is best than mac os,but of course gui(linux can use many guis or pure cli: CDE,KDE,Gnome3,Mate(similar to gnome2),fwm,twm,a lot!)is different from MAC OS,but there is more software choice,good opens source and commercial applications and even games native or seminative(steam) or emulated with wine or other emus.
I use linux since 2001.
For security Linux is more secure than mac,can be hardened using selinux or apparmor but security depend first
by user.
Finally:
Mac OS vote 8: nice gui,unix core
Linux vote 9: more os software,unix like,secure but a little difficult than mac

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Slackware is the best linux distro ever, period, end of discussion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
MrFreeman wrote:

lol. Heard of an opinion?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

Yes I have. Slackware is the most stable, functional, secure, usable, and consistent distro.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
MrFreeman wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

Yes I have. Slackware is the most stable, functional, secure, usable, and consistent distro.

Yes, that would be in your experience. 'End of discussion'? No. I've found Arch Linux to be the best (at least after installation :P)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
MrFreeman wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

Yes, that would be in your experience. 'End of discussion'? No. I've found Arch Linux to be the best (at least after installation :P)

See, I can't see how somebody could use a buggy and unstable OS like Arch Linux without first having done some major Acid or Meth.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Maybe because some people would have a different experience from you?

Get Xfce on there and you should be fine. Or maybe you would have a different experience.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I've tried a few times to run Arch before and after the switch to systemd, and all my experiences were negative. systemd actually made it worse.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Even on a Raspberry Pi Arch is just garbage. Configuring stuff is just one thing, getting programs running is another.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 pm 

Favourite OS
linux
MrFreeman wrote:
I've tried a few times to run Arch before and after the switch to systemd, and all my experiences were negative. systemd actually made it worse.

Systemd is evil

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 pm 

Favourite OS
linux
MrFreeman wrote:

Is my favourite distro,i use it and imho is the more near unix-style distro.
But if you want to know linux you must use,slackware,debian and..centos or redhat,and maybe suse
:o
This add more knowledge with concepts like selinux,systemd,kernel management with mkinitramfs,rpms,app-armor
In my country on IT the most used distro are Rhel,suse,debian.
Slackware is the best for poweruser: no kernel patched,old and good mixed sysV bsd init(rc.M,rc.K..)
no systemd and a lot of satisfaction.
Long live Slackware

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Longhorn 3718
Linux would blossom if it would be more user friendly
even those who try to mimic Windows OS, its still not that...

I was personally very disapointed when installed newer kubuntu (coz i don't like ubuntu's ui)
but when i saw that it is as bloated as NT 6, ... then I gave up :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
Depends entirely on what you're looking for really. If you're looking for a great typical point and click GUI, excellent font rendering, compatibility with Adobe/MS Office/iTunes, the best support for high-DPI displays, OS X is your OS. If you want an infinitely customizable OS, want complete control over every little piece of software/file, prefer to use a tiling window manager, like the command line, GNU/Linux is your OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
ilpungilione2 wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:

Systemd is evil

This is 100% true. It's sad that this is not as obvious as it should be.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 am 

Favourite OS
windows8
One of the greatest advantages in terms of security for Linux lies in its huge, highly-skilled and diligent community. That is not to say, however, that Linux is invulnerable. It is indeed facing an increase in threats as it gains popularity. There are many advantages about Linux and many people have individual experienced in this term.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:21 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 & Ubuntu
ovctvct wrote:

I'd recommend ubuntu or Debian, apple is in a security hole with Ios right now and they both have about the same compatibility

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 pm 
Administrator

Xenor, what does iOS have to do with Mac? They are not the same, so no, they don't have the same compatibility or security holes. It's like saying Windows Phone has the same compatibility and security holes as Windows...

Choose OS X if you want a simple and easy to use yet powerful operating system (and if you got a Mac of course, don't bother with Hackintoshes), choose Linux if you want the ability to change about everything, but it's far from easy and requires quite a lot of manual tweaks and research before you get it to work optimally. Both OSes are excellent, but they aim towards two different kind of users and different kind of uses. First figure out what you want to use the OS for, then do some reading about that particular use and then compare the OSes. Remember, with Linux you also got about 200 or so different distributions, all of which differ from each other one way or another.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am 

Personally i've been using linux since the mid 90's, but if someone who's illiterate about computers asks me what to get, i always say "get a mac". Worth the extra money, and you save the tons of headaches of being stuck with w**dows....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
delt wrote:
Personally i've been using linux since the mid 90's, but if someone who's illiterate about computers asks me what to get, i always say "get a mac". Worth the extra money, and you save the tons of headaches of being stuck with w**dows....

Macs are way overpriced though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Linux vs Mac- which one is better?        Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
Mac is better desktop OS by far and the OS/updates come free now. ++
Linux code is open source and anyone is free to make their own / improve it over time. ++

Apples and Oranges. Wouldn't you rather play a nice game of chess?

Top  Profile