BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 17h, 38m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 1753MB of 3173MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: MS OS/2 1.3 in Virtual PC 2007        Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:38 pm 
FTP Access

As I know, OS/2 1.3 is not a Beta operating system, some may be interested in this, as OS/2 1.x is reported unuseable under VirtualPC. What I did was to install the system on my PS/2 SX56, and made the VHD from the image of this drive. As you may already know, OS/2 was the joint project between IBM and Microsoft, for a better operating system, than DOS, means preempitive multitasking, multithreading, pipes, semafors and all that is needed for a modern operating system. Before Windows NT this was Microsoft's most advenced product, and was sold mainly for servers. You may even find some working copies of this even nowdays in ATMs and stuff. You can download my VHD from here: http://zdanee.uw.hu/os2/os2_13.zip

It is not a vanilla installation, it contains the OS/2 1.1 CD, and some applications from OS/2 1.1 and Windows 3.0 WLO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Didn't work. I've been thinking of buying a couple of old laptops that I can stick some of these old OSes on, but the ones I see are either too new, or old enough but knackered.

Does anyone have an old (1995 or so) ThinkPad I can steal off them to install old OSes on? :) (Seriously, if anyone has a really old laptop, working, that needs a home, let me know!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:19 am 
FTP Access

I own a 1991 Texas Instruments Travel mate 4000 (486dx2@50, 8 Mb RAM, 120 Mb HDD, FDD, 10.4 BW LCD), it runs Warp 4, but cant run OS/2 1.3. However my noname P133, my Cyrix 6x86, my AMD 386, my PS/2 SX56 all runs it perfectly. What was the SYS code of the VHD image above on your VPC?

I updated the file, now it should work on any VPC 2004/2007 (I tried it on 3 machines). It hungs up for a minute showing the fancy MS-patents on boot, but runs perfectly after it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I had a look at this. It is quite interesting. I have never seen 1.3 running.

This is info, things to look at.

The DOS icon points to the "dos box", or "dos coffin". 1.x runs only one DOS session, full screen, all the time. This is a kind of 3.3, which pretends to be 10.x0.

There's a copy of Windows 3.0 installed. It runs in real mode, but it does this in any version of OS/2. More interesting is to compare icons of progman.exe and the OS/2 shell pmexec.exe (Desktop Manager). Many other icons are similar too: One can even see that control panel is Win 2.x vintage.

Control-Esc takes you from the DOS to OS/2 desktop, where we see yet another feature that made it into vista! Notice how PMExec's groups are lists of items, rather than an icon-field. Windows program manager replicates this behaviour, and Explorer, even in vista lines them up.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 am 
FTP Access

The 3.0 win is not part of the system, I was only messing around. The WLO applications are a later addon as well. You also can find a few programs from OS/2 1.1 in that image, like a blockbuster game (c:/os211/bricks.exe), or an alarm clock (c:/os211/aclock.exe), the older, text-graphical version of system editor (.../e.exe), and stuff.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I do realise this. I have the original diskettes for most of this stuff here.

It is interesting to compare icons from Windows 3.0 and OS/2 though.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
zdanee wrote:
I own a 1991 Texas Instruments Travel mate 4000 (486dx2@50, 8 Mb RAM, 120 Mb HDD, FDD, 10.4 BW LCD), it runs Warp 4, but cant run OS/2 1.3. However my noname P133, my Cyrix 6x86, my AMD 386, my PS/2 SX56 all runs it perfectly. What was the SYS code of the VHD image above on your VPC?

I updated the file, now it should work on any VPC 2004/2007 (I tried it on 3 machines). It hungs up for a minute showing the fancy MS-patents on boot, but runs perfectly after it.

SYS code?

Got an old laptop you'd be willing to part with?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 am 
FTP Access

You know, when OS/2 had an error, it reported a SYS code. You said, you failed to run the VHD above.
I have a PowerBook 180, but has serious problems with its power supply (not just the battery, but some ICs as well). I also own the said TI 4000, it has a Gate A20 problem, so if you want to use the keyboard, and memory above 640k, you need an external keyboard. Makes me wonder who the hell touth that building a memory-controller into the keyboard is a good idea. Here is a small review I wrote about it (its hungarian, but you can see the pictures :D). I pretty much like this system, so selling it is out of question (sorry :P), but I dont mind, if I wont see it for a few months, so as it is a TravelMate, we can make it travel a few miles :D
Why dont you just buy something from ebay? Im pretty sure you can get something like this for a couple of bucks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Your review made sense to me :).

It's alright if you don't want to sell it; I'll look around on eBay, like you said. It's just easier seeing if the person I'm talking to has one that they'll sell, because eBay isn't very reliable :(.

Thanks anyway.

PS. OS/2 Does work now :), thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Can something like that not be done with OS/2 1.1? That'd be cool to play with :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 pm 
Just tried this in Virtual PC. It's so much like the first windows versions its scary. (H)

Thanks for posting this.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:21 pm 
Donator

Jamson wrote:
Just tried this in Virtual PC. It's so much like the first windows versions its scary. (H)

Thanks for posting this.

Considering the early OS/2 releases were developed by both IBM and MS this is nothing too surprising.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:02 am 
FTP Access

It would be easy to do the same with OS/2 1.1, but i miss a bootable floppy for it, so setup cannot start. I tried downgrading OS/2 1.3, but ofcourse i failed. Well, the files are all executeable, so probably one can try to replace PM of 1.3 with PM of 1.1, since it is the main difference (and HPFS and REXX and ATM...). As far as I know, Michal Necasek has a working version of even 1.0, he has a website and knows alot of OS/2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I ran OS/2 from 2.1 onwards, and for some years, did not have a MSFT operating system on board (PC-DOS + OS/2).

OS/2 was the only system that could bypass the 504MB limit on my PC, so it was used extensively for burning CD-ROMS (using GEAR of all things). Most of the cd-layout went into high partitions (ie past 504MB), while DOS, OS/2 etc shared the 1008 MB below this.

Because 20 MB is not a lot of core, i had a special 9MB version of OS/2 3.0, set up with SYSINTX, to reduce load while the cdrom was prepared. It had some non-default shell, which kind of looks like a menu bar.

The normal OS/2 was usually the latest (2.1, 2.1w, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0). I still have OS/2 eComStation (vv 1.0/1/2).

Windows 95 came in 1998, and to this i hacked 95Plus to 95Minus (mostly by culling the install!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
There are full sets of floppies on the FTP servers here - just go on SillyProject or AbyssUnderground. I had the first floppy booting in VPC, but then it froze :(.

I could never be bothered with OS/2, really, but I've decided to learn how to use it now, because then I'll have experience of every major operating system that was in use during my lifetime (and before).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:39 am 
FTP Access

Well then the trick is easy, the floppy froze because the code is for i80286, and to switch between real and protected mode it uses some weird technics (making the CPU fault for 3 times then restart it in real), witch does not work in VPC. But if you install it on an actual system, something between a 386DX and a Pentium, the install can run, and detect the CPU as a 386, and after that all you need to do is to make a VHD from the actual HDD. For this i use savepart on the actual system (booting DOS from a floppy), and then restore the image in VPC on a VHD with the same size.

Hmm...I dont yet have access to the FTP, need more posts :S

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Here are some other applications running under OS/2 1.3

Top is 't2', or tinyedit (IBM Ews), second is "list". for OS/2. amd last is none less than QEdit (tse/jr), also OS/2.

On the left is the old E editor running under Windows 2k's OS/2 subsystem.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 am 
FTP Access

Im more interested in native OS/2 Word/Excel for 1.x. After OS/2 2.x it was just as good to simply use the windows version, since it was better DOS than DOS and better windows than windows.

Top  Profile