BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 8h, 0m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2350MB of 3931MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Recreating Longhorn        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:13 am 
Hey everyone, I am going to try and customize ReactOS 0.4 to look and feel like Longhorn, I figured that stability wouldn't matter because Longhorn was preetty unstable anyway. Also looking to release it and microsoft cannot stop me as it doesnt use any of their code. :D . I just need some ppl to help me recreate some aspects such as the welcome screen.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 am 
FTP Access

Hm, where did you get ReactOS 0.4?
Website says: "The next release will be 0.3.4 which is loosely-scheduled to be released in January, 2008."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Recreating Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:54 pm 
:o OK, maybe i should have made it clear but i meant 0.4SVN. YOu can get this by going into the downloads section and then into developers. The reason i picked this was because it means that the longhorn version will always remain up-to-date with their latest developments. :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
longhorn_cc is right, if download a iso fron the svn then they are branded as 0.4, 0.3.4 is only a few months away from being released, it is a major improvement on 0.3.3, anyways,i,ll save you some time , http://rapidshare.com/files/83834263/welcome_Center.zip it runs but it doesnt display the bitmaps properly, reactos has a problem with drawing bitmaps, i thought about having a go at this myself your welcome to have a try.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: updated UI style?        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:12 pm 
I wonder, do you think part of the goal of Ros is to look and feel exactly like windows and doing something like theming it like Longhorn would go against the main purpose of their work?

Or do you think making either a fork (maintaining kernel parity) of Ros and making it something better (not longhorn specifically, but a reinvented UI) would be welcomed by the Ros community that uses Ros for what it is?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
the goal reactos is keep the gui/desktop as simple as possible, there is a new explorer being written now but it will not look any different from the current explorer ( although there is a goal to add theming supoport - one day! , i think they are waiting for kde 4 to run solidly on windows and then included kde as install option? so to answer your question, if you want to develope your own gui for reactos then go ahed ( reactos is op[en source so they cant stop you ) but dont expect it to be included as part of reactos, it just wont happen.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
There is a quicker and easier way to get a cool recreation of Longhorn. If you guys are big LH fans, you might have heard of Longhorn Reloaded. I tested both versions and they were crap. But they I found something else. A patch giving Longhorn Build 4074 Media Center, The LHR Theme, and other LHR stuff. If you want the links to the patch or LH Build 4074, just reply.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Try not to bump topics older than 30 days please. Its in the rules, which you should've read.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]