BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 3h, 51m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5923MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 am 

Favourite OS
RedHat Linux7.x
Qemu can run AIX5.1 in 32-bit mode, you can find the one here:
https://astr0baby.wordpress.com/2019/04 ... ystem-ppc/

Any one knows how to run AIX5.1 64bit on qemu, could you please share your setting here?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Reality
32-bit on 5.1 indeed. Still can't get 64-bit mode working. Also not sure if the whole 4gb of RAM is being used, I think the address limit might be around 192MB. The patched 40p QEMU seems to only work in 32-bit mode for now. The only way to get 64-bit mode right now is to use 7.2, which I have tested. I use the following command to boot 5.1:
qemu-system-ppc -M 40p -bios q40pofw-serial.rom -serial mon:stdio -hda aix.img -cdrom Disc01.iso -vga none -nographic -net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no
The changes to the patched 40p fork should be merged into the mainline QEMU, but I have not been able to get 5.1 booting with the latest version. I initially thought 64-bit was working, but I was fooled.
Now, the q40pofw-serial.rom OFW BIOS works in 64-bit, but AIX sees a 40p and goes straight to 32-bit mode. I made a mistake with my previous post, mistaking 7.2 for 5.1. 7.2 works fine on "pseries" 64-bit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:27 am 

Favourite OS
RedHat Linux7.x
I was wondering why my try to install AIX5.1 with ppc64 got hung even after I installed the latest qemu software.
Thanks for the clarification.

Top  Profile