BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 7h, 56m | CPU: 2% | MEM: 5703MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
I'm trying to run AIX 5.1 downloaded from BA FTP.
Which emulator is able to run AIX as guest?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:58 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Chicago Build 73
I should believe that you can classify it as Linux or Solaris and then you can run it on a more popular emulator such as VMware or Virtualbox. I don't believe that there is an emu spiccifically for AIX. Please excuse me if this is wrong though, I have never used AIX myself.

Looking for mods, if you are interested, PM me!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:56 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4
Is it PowerPC AIX?

Want IBM SOMobjects DTK 3.0 February Beta; also SOM DTK 3.0 for AIX
Want WebObjects 4.5.x for Windows; have Yellow Box for Win: OE4.2, WO4.0.1 and YB5.1
irc.efnet.net #osFree 你懂的

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
of course I really mean PowerPC AIX, since AIX for PS/2 has version 1.2 only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:38 pm 
Donator

For PPC AIX, you might be able to get it to boot on qemu-system-ppc in PReP or System p mode. I suspect it won't work with much of the emulated hardware though, at least in PReP mode...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:59 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Chicago Build 73
Look into PearPC... I think there is a version for AIX, like there is for Mac. Download a blank 6GB image, you'll need that too.

Looking for mods, if you are interested, PM me!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:35 am 
FTP Access

You could also look into bochs, another "whole machine" emulator. Though I don't know off the top of my head if it supports PPC architectures or only x86.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
no emulator is capable of running A/IX (yet). The PowerPC version does some nasty endian stuff at boot that prevents normal emulators from getting that far.

PowerPC's can change endian on the fly, which is something it turns out it relies on.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4
There is a patch for 6.1 only: http://www.vivier.eu/Qemu/

Want IBM SOMobjects DTK 3.0 February Beta; also SOM DTK 3.0 for AIX
Want WebObjects 4.5.x for Windows; have Yellow Box for Win: OE4.2, WO4.0.1 and YB5.1
irc.efnet.net #osFree 你懂的

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
OCTAGRAM wrote:
There is a patch for 6.1 only: http://www.vivier.eu/Qemu/

Nope. This is for running qemu on an AIX host, not for running AIX as guest inside it....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 pm 

Favourite OS
linux
Running AIX in a emulator today is impossible,aix is made for run only on
specific IBM hw.
Like HP-UX is made for running in specific hp hardware and architecture.
Maybe in the future(10 years or more) it will be possible to run on some
emulator as today is possible to run solaris sparc on qemu(only old version 2
and with specific roms).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:31 pm 
FTP Access

As others have already mentioned, no emulator is able to do that (right now). QEMU would be your best bet since that's what PowerKVM is based on. PowerKVM itself however does only run Linux since parts of AIX depend on stuff only implemented in PowerVM and the "original" POWER OpenFirmware (PowerKVM / QEMU uses SLOF). You'd have to monitor for invalid / not implemented device tree accesses and hypervisor calls to figure out what's still missing in QEMU.

There might also be some valuable info in the open-power github repos. But without some serious work being done on QEMU there's just no way. But who knows - maybe IBM will abandon PowerVM in favor of PowerKVM in the future (once it has matured) and make the necessary changes to run AIX themselves.

If you want to give it a try and see how far you can get, try using "qemu-system-ppc64 -M pseries -cpu POWER8" (or POWER7).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm 

I'm working on adding AIX support to qemu, but at the moment it doesn't get past the greeting message or a kernel debugger:
http://tyom.blogspot.de/2017/02/aix-kdb-under-40p.html

Hope to get further once I get more test images for PReP machines.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Awesome :)

Those old platforms really need some emulator love...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 pm 

I know it's not the answer you are looking for but AIX5 will run on an LPAR on suitable IBM POWER hardware under OS/400 or I or whatever they're calling it now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 am 

Decent AIX-capable boxes come up on eBay fairly frequently for a few $$$.
Before you buy one though, see if you can get the seller to tell you the serial number of the box. If you can get that, you can double-check on the IBM website if the box has an APV key available for it. The key is embedded in the system nvram and stays with it forever. If there is an APV key for it, you can create multiple LPARs. Google "IBM POD", and the first link you get is the site where you can check the CoD keys. If I were going to buy one right now for home, I'd be looking at 8202's (Power 720's), though the Power 6 520 (8203) is pretty good also, but can't run the latest AIX 7.2. A lot of sellers may be asking for $2k plus, but the going rate is more like $450-1,500.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:24 am 
FTP Access

The box I'm using for my AIX experiments right now is a 7043-150. It's not very powerful (32bit only PowerPC 604e, max 1 GiB RAM) but it has a nice form factor for home gamers, is reasonably quiet and will run AIX up to 5.3.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Qemu 3 can run AIX 7.2!

https://twitter.com/zhuowei/status/1037795479860338688

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 am 

louisw3 wrote:

I also can confirm that qemu 3 can boot an AIX 7.2 TL3 ISO image. However, it seems to not find the virtual hard disk, so it might have to have SP1 applied per the instructions...

Here is an article with additional information:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/comm ... ok?lang=en

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:31 am 

The best way to learn AIX would be to obtain an account on a machine that's running it. Really, part of what sets AIX apart from other unices is that it's designed for high-end systems (with lots of processors, fancy virtualization capabilities and so on). You won't learn as much by running it in a virtual machine.

If you really want to run AIX on your laptop, you'll have to get an old PS/2 version that runs on an x86 CPU. I don't know if AIX will run on VirtualBox's emulated hardware (PS/2 is peculiar, it's the same problem as running OSX in a VM), but there are hints that it might (user claiming to run an AIX guest). It seems that AIX can run in Virtual PC.

Qemu can emulate PowerPC processors, so it might be able to run a recent, PowerPC version of AIX. But don't get your hopes up.

In summary, getting AIX in a VM would be costly (it's not free software), difficult, and not very useful. Try and get an account on some big iron, or get a second-hand system (if you can afford it).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
StormFiber wrote:
Qemu can emulate PowerPC processors, so it might be able to run a recent, PowerPC version of AIX. But don't get your hopes up.

In summary, getting AIX in a VM would be costly (it's not free software), difficult, and not very useful. Try and get an account on some big iron, or get a second-hand system (if you can afford it).

AIX can run on QEMU, according to this tutorial. As for getting big iron, I wonder if the TALOS II POWER9 systems can run AIX in any sort of productive way, as that might be the cheapest option if feasible, but that's still a pretty hefty purchase. Or perhaps even a high end PowerMac G5 with virtualization, although I doubt any of the most recent AIX versions would work on that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:24 pm 

Favourite OS
osx 10.x
As I know only aix 7.2 can (almost) run under qemu. Anyone know if old version of aix ( like 4.3.3 or 5.1 ) can be run under qemu ?
thank's.

48 Slot Lto tape backup - pcie Expansion with lot of passthrough.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Reality
I've had the best success with AIX 5.1 on qemu-system-ppc64. I use the "pseries" machine with 4gb of RAM. The "-net tap" option provides networking capability. It is pretty slow, and takes quite a while to boot. Other than that, it works well. There was a tutorial online where somebody got the 7.2 rescue disc to boot, but it is not the same as a real installation and requires a patched disc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.3.3 and 5.1 run now on Qemu for sure.

https://tyom.blogspot.com/2019/04/aixpr ... ow-to.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: emulator that is able to run AIX as guest?        Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 pm 

Favourite OS
RedHat Linux7.x
640kb wrote:
I've had the best success with AIX 5.1 on qemu-system-ppc64. I use the "pseries" machine with 4gb of RAM. The "-net tap" option provides networking capability. It is pretty slow, and takes quite a while to boot. Other than that, it works well. There was a tutorial online where somebody got the 7.2 rescue disc to boot, but it is not the same as a real installation and requires a patched disc.

Is your AIX VM 32bit or 64bit (maybe run a " getconf -a | grep KERNEL_BITMODE")? If your AIX5.1 is running in 64bit, could you please share your procedure for how to properly set it up? Much appreciated.
So far, I can only find one for AIX5.1 to run under qemu in 32bit mode, using 40p model.

Top  Profile