BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 74d, 18h, 23m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 6452MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 am 
FTP Access

Is palm os still being supported? I used it quite a lot a couple of years ago, now I hardly hear anything about... Is there any device that still uses it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
I actually still have a couple of old Palm OS devices, but I haven't used them in a while.

In the same vein, I have some Palm OS applications around somewhere too.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:34 pm 

Favourite OS
I also have some old Palm OS Devices, a Palm Zire 21, Tungsten E2 and Palm TX. though I never use them anymore there in my parents basement. they were all reformatted to factory defaults.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:33 pm 
FTP Access

The device I used was an Alphasmart Dana; It could run most applications, but obviously not in colour.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
i had a palm VII, it was kinda cool, but just so limited when it came to doing stuff on the internet... But once the sidekick's came out well that was that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
To actually be on topic.. as you may or may not know, Palm was bought out by HP.
The last device running Palm OS to be released was probably the Palm Centro, in late 2007.

Updates for Palm devices are still available here: kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/47831_en.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:30 am 
FTP Access

q3hardcore wrote:
To actually be on topic.. as you may or may not know, Palm was bought out by HP.
The last device running Palm OS to be released was probably the Palm Centro, in late 2007.

Updates for Palm devices are still available here: kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/47831_en.html

Oh, what a Pity I much prefer Palm OS to Windows CE

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP bought it, it became WebOS and then HP killed it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 3.51
AFAIK, the last "official", public release of the classic "Palm OS" was version 5.5, designed for and only released with an emulator (called "Garnet VM") that the Nokia "Internet Tablet" devices (ARM Linux based devices). This was part of the plan to replace Palm OS with a Linux-based system ("Access Linux Platform"). This was completely separate to what became webOS (webOS was developed by Palm Inc. while ALP was developed by ACCESS, owners of the Palm OS IP after having bought PalmSource which had been spun off from Palm Inc in 2002).

There is/was also Palm OS "Cobalt" (6.x), but this is no longer based on the original Palm OS code and is somewhat derived from BeOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 6.3.9600.16497
I highly doubt that support's still on for both HP and Palm OS Devices.
But HP bought Palm, made a few device, and at around these years, LG's purchased Palm and was making some Smart TVs.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 3.51
Note that the "Palm Inc." that HP bought is/was not the owner of Palm OS. In 2002-3, the original "Palm Inc." split into two companies; palmOne and PalmSource. palmOne made devices and PalmSource owned the OS (this made all device manufacturers "equal" as they all had to licence from PalmSouce). In 2005, palmOne bought the remaining trademark rights from PalmSouce and renamed themselves "Palm Inc." It was this "Palm Inc." that was purchased by HP. PalmSouce was purchased by ACCESS.

webOS was developed by "Palm Inc." (palmOne) and is in no way related to Palm OS. LG licence it from HP. They don't own it, nor do they have any involvement in Palm OS.

Thus, HP/webOS/palmOne/LG are of little relevance to a discussion about Palm OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:12 am 

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
It's kind of a shame that it got killed off (more or less) after being purchased, but looking back, I sort of feel like there's a decent chance it would have died a natural death a la Blackberry as Android and iOS gained popularity.

The other thing that would have done it in is the demise of standalone PDAs. I remember when it was unusual that a PDA had cell connectivity (like the i705) but now, our smartphones are essentially glorified cell-capable PDAs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
derpbynature wrote:
It's kind of a shame that it got killed off (more or less) after being purchased, but looking back, I sort of feel like there's a decent chance it would have died a natural death a la Blackberry as Android and iOS gained popularity.

I think it's pretty much a given - the demands of modern devices have no time for the simplistic embedded OSes of yesteryear. Which is why all three leading competitors have, at their core, truly modern scalable kernels. iOS shares Darwin with OS X, Android is Linux, and as of WP8, Windows Phone has the NT Kernel.

It's far easier to scale down these kernels than it is to scale up the old embedded OSes - after all, those three kernels all supported slower hardware just a few generations of PC ago, such is the power of the modern ARM device in comparison. In fact, it makes you realise just how far desktop computing has come over the past decade when you realise just how far mobile devices have come, and yet are still so far behind the modern desktop. A vital reminder that the only way to exploit this modern abundance of power is modern software.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
HP has a history of attrition with the operating systems it acquires. The fate of Palm OS will be no different than any other OS HP obtained through acquisition:
ULTRIX
Domain/OS
OpenVMS
Tru64 UNIX
... ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What ever happened to Palm Os?        Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 3.51
milatchi wrote:
HP has a history of attrition with the operating systems it acquires. The fate of Palm OS will be no different than any other OS HP obtained through acquisition:
ULTRIX
Domain/OS
OpenVMS
Tru64 UNIX
... ?

HP don't own Palm OS. ACCESS do. HP own what was formerly hardware side of the Palm business, as I explained above.

Top  Profile