BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 9h, 21m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 4788MB of 10643MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 am 

Favourite OS
XP SP3
Well it is an interesting project. I did tried it once or twice in VirtualBox, but for my purposes it was pretty much unusable. You could start few simple apps like notepad and maybe some old versions of Excel but anything more than that is a bust.

So yeah, as a concept it's nice, but I'm not sure if it will ever be ready for normal usage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Archlinux, 98SE 2222 A
I tried it on bare metal a long time ago, around the time they were conducting their code audit. It was crazy fast, but due to the lack of driver support for all my hardware and the lack of general support for all the mainstream applications I used, I ended up tossing it to the wayside.

At this point I don't think it is a serious OS unless you're setting it up for your Windows 98 loving grandmother and for enthusiasts to commit code to. The thing I like about it now is that it has a symbiotic relationship with the WINE project, making WINE more robust and more able to run various windows applications on my Linux desktops.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:30 am 

Favourite OS
macOS
I never used it and I don't think anyone would be talking about it because it isn't known as most OS's but they do have good intensions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
windows
I have tried it on a virtual machine. But I have quickly abandoned because of the poor performance of this alpha OS, compared with a virtual XP. I think it's only valuable for professional testing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I tried one developement build (r6xxxx if I remeber correctly) and it's quite good for a unstable release of a OS clearly labelled alpha.
That said, I have better hopes for 0.4.x than 0.3.x.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago build 34-had it :(
I used it back when it was new, was a pretty damn OS not gonna lie. Don't know about it's status today, hopefully it hasn't deteriorated in terms of stability since i last used it.

R.I.P EX OSBA Title :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
0.3.16 is pretty good.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
It's outdated. Use a trunk build, aka Nightly build.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:58 pm 

Favourite OS
linux
Tried on a Virtual machine,too slow and really unstable.
Maybe in the future will be a great os,they must only :OD reach at least
90% compatibility with windows os and drivers

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
Nowadays, the explorer-new has been merged into the trunk builds. Test with latest revision and see.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
It's got some interesting utilities not found in Windows 2k/xp, and some better arranged ones.

ctm. console task manager
winefile.exe filemanager with long file name support
mc midnight commander
servman.exe A service controller (non mmc proggie)
devmgmt.exe Device manager - does not go through mmc)
edit.exe freedos 0.3 editor compiled for winnt
imgsoft.exe alternate bitmap editor
calc.exe This has the conversions, and works under win2000.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:49 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP6
I tried several builds. What i mostly remember is that when you install any drivers for nvidea or vbox guest addons the whole systems goes into the mist. I could have been changed by now. Apart from driver issue's the software that can be installed with it's package management does work. With lot's of craches, but what doesn't crash in alpha state.

ReactOS could be a good alternative for Windows 2YK and XP but much needs to be done. But they'll get there...someday

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
AlphaBeta wrote:
I agree with user99672 on that one.

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:
And it's based on NT core, just in case you guys were wondering. It's not a clone, it's more of an open-source port.

What? It is a clone of NT 5.2.
No, it isn't a clone. If you want to be really accurate and anal, it's something called a dark-room reimplementation.

I've played with ReactOS before, but I never found it interesting or complete enough to dedicate an actual computer to. I am impressed with how complete it is, though, and how small; but it's a bit too-little-too-late for me, what with taking over a decade and still not having a stable version. It's going to be another decase before it's usable and by that point you might as well be using Windows 3.1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:05 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Build 9600
I have used it briefly, and it was very unstable at the time. I do think it will get there eventually, but it will always be behind Windows due to the nature of the project, a reactive OS to run Windows apps. It should be good for running certain legacy apps though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:55 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
I used it once on a VM. It seemed fine at first, but on the next reboot I got a BSOD, so....
Well, whatever. It definitely has a very long way to go before going into even the simplest practical use, but it's still a very impressive effort.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
BetaMan121 wrote:
I used it once on a VM. It seemed fine at first, but on the next reboot I got a BSOD, so....
Well, whatever. It definitely has a very long way to go before going into even the simplest practical use, but it's still a very impressive effort.

If you're using VMware, set the compatibility mode to 4.x. I know this problem, ReactOS still doesn't like USB 2.0 controllers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:09 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
I never really used ReactOS before but I think that ReactOS is a neat combination of Linux, Windows, and Unix.
Edit: changed bever to never

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Last edited by Archenemy on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I once tried ReactOS on an ancient P3 laptop and it sort of worked, but it crashed a lot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:45 am 

Favourite OS
NT 4
Archenemy wrote:
I bever really used ReactOS before but I think that ReactOS is a neat combination of Linux, Windows, and Unix.

ReactOS is simply ReactOS, not Linux, Windows or Unix. Its kernel and core system components (except the Win32 subsystem, which is mostly derived from Wine) were written from the scratch.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
I tried it in a VMware Virtual Machine back in 2008, It was OK, But it is pretty buggy, I also tried to run it in VirtualPC, It wouldn't work on that, It just showed a black screen, I forget when, It was a long time ago.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
MSUser2013 wrote:
I tried it in a VMware Virtual Machine back in 2008, It was OK, But it is pretty buggy, I also tried to run it in VirtualPC, It wouldn't work on that, It just showed a black screen, I forget when, It was a long time ago.

Now it runs :) Many fixes have been committed in order to get ReactOS in VBOX/VMware/QEMU/VPC 2007. Also over 6 years, ReactOS has taken lots of steps... try it again from a daily (aka nightly build) :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
ReactOS has been chosen as a second OS for Russia's efforts for supporting open-source OSes!

https://reactos.org/node/946

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
Also you can look at the ReactOS Community Channel in YouTube, it's recently opened. Therefore, you can see capabilities of the ReactOS!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:28 am 

Favourite OS
They All Suck
ExplicitNuM5 wrote:
It kind of sucks for me. It just looked old, Unix-like. It was ugly.

By the fact that Windows are such complicated, bloated piece of OS, and that many pieces don't have open specs (e.g. Native API), the ReactOS team is doing a great job indeed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
As some of you may know, 0.4 RC1 is available! Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos ... z/download

We have really major improvements and fixes over 0.3.17!

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next