ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Princess Cadence

Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?

Post by Princess Cadence »

Battler wrote:Noone here has mentioned bitcoins. And please, let's keep civil and not backseat moderate. Warning issued.
one of your bots or administration approved that post.

DOS
FTP Access

Post by DOS »

I can't believe the ReactOS 0.4.0 .iso is only 113MB, and I saw in their meeting minutes that someone thinks they have some duplicate files and they could shrink it a bit!! I guess I'm so used to modern OSes, it seems shocking that it is so small, but I sure like the idea of no bloat! It installed pretty quickly under VirtualBox on my 10 year old PC.

Once I was playing with it, I was disappointed to get "WOW16 applications are not supported at the moment" messages, it seems like maybe lots of older apps that aren't 16-bit themselves might have 16-bit installers? And then I tried Visual C++ 6.0 and got a blue screen error. I'll keep trying to find something that will actually install :) The built-in solitaire app seems to work though!
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:Ask AMD Radeon folks if they can take 100% advantage of their hardware. Ask Optimus users about the hacks that they need do with their laptops to run Linux on them.
You don't need to ask them, just tell them about your driver problems and they will tell you how much worse they have it :) I think someone told me some buggy Optimus-related script did "rm -rf /". No Windows driver ever did that to me!

Edit: I found https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic ... 22&t=10988, which covers the issue with 16-bit installers, or, as that post suggests, installer stubs. One of the workarounds involves running the installer on a real Windows machine so you can get the extracted 32-bit part of the installer. However, I think 7-Zip understands some of those installer formats, so that might be a better workaround. I'll try this out sometime.

Edit 2:
I haven't managed to use 7-Zip to do the above, but I did manage to install 7-Zip itself (version 15.14, and it had to be the 32-bit version).
I installed the VirtualBox guest tools from VBox 4.3 and can use shared folders. ReactOS didn't seem to be able to list the shares under \\vboxsrv, but you could provide a full path like \\vboxsrv\myshare and it worked - at least I could copy things from the shared folder, but trying to run installers directly from it seemed to cause hangs where it wouldn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I installed the old free Borland C++ 5.5 compiler and compiled a trivial C program with it.
I played Stella, the Atari 2600 emulator, for about 30 seconds (didn't do a stability test).
I tried to run AppleWin, but it seemed to hang, and my attempt to kill it using Task Manager failed and made Task Manager hang too, but the OS still responded to Ctrl-Alt-Del and I was able to use the Shut Down button, so that was nicer than hitting the (virtual) power button.
Google Picasa 3.9 seemed to be working, although a bit slow and with some weird font rendering issues for a little bit of the text.
It has a lot of quirks, like redraw issues, and keyboard shortcuts not working in the Start Menu and Explorer, but I was surprised by how much it is able to run!

cantasan99
FTP Access

Post by cantasan99 »

So... While we're on the road to 0.4.2, I want to pause the time and say a number of things:

Firstly, despite the devs' assertions, 0.4 was a biiig kernel, win32k and shell bugfix update. Not much work was done about USB, WiFi and sound issues, we have manpower shortages, some fixes was incorporated though. Instead, work was focused on the core. 0.4 contains about 1400 bug fixes, including very bigger ones! Stability has much improved over the 0.3.17.

Secondly, after big release, future plans was shifted: We'll now release about every 3 months, meaning we'll see more bug fixes in the long run. And we see: check out ReactOS for newly running programs! 0.4.2 is going to be a huge update for filesystems. It's not pointless, it helps us: some bugs were found in ntoskrnl (mainly common cache and filesystem runtime) and there are still known ones.

And... application compatibility tools are being added. In near future, we plan to shift to Vista and upwards! Now we have fastened! Some new devs are coming! Four GSoC 2016 students are working on different projects for improving our drivers!

You should really download a nightly build and test ReactOS!

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

MrFreeman
FTP Access

Post by MrFreeman »

Nice, I like the optimism towards the project.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

atticusb05

Post by atticusb05 »

I actually think ReactOS could be a really decent OS if some time was spent actually working on it. As for opinions, I quite like the OS just because of how easy it is to use. With a couple of apps installed, you can end up with a fully working system that you can do anything on. Also, because of the compatibility with Windows binaries, you can install pretty much any 32-bit Windows apps you can think of! :OD
Never deem MS-DOS unusable. TeamViewerFTW- Minecraft, Desura and more!

cantasan99
FTP Access

Post by cantasan99 »

0.4.2 released recently, or "ReactOS Filesystemania Update". That's good, at least we can improve our kernel... and FastFAT driver. Even though after branching for 0.4.2, fixes for reducing FS corruptions are ongoing. Second one is "small" shell fixes and improvements which makes some programs working now. Along with this, Win32 DLLs (from Wine), UNIATA, ACPI drivers updated; some system utilities improved, 1st stage setup issues fixed and so on... Now we start to do big things.

There's a small (?) problem: Due to an unimplemented function, Wine's latest D3D can't be synced ATM. Implementing this function requires rewriting some parts of our Win32 subsystem, which is not easy, so this was bypassed. Hope it'll be fixed on 0.4.3.

In the end, a funny thing: A patch that returns TRUE instead of 0 from SetThreadStackGuarantee made much-advertised .NET working :D

DOS
FTP Access

Post by DOS »

cantasan99 wrote:0.4.2 released recently, or "ReactOS Filesystemania Update".
Cool, thanks for the update!
fixes for reducing FS corruptions are ongoing
This sounds a bit scary! Is the corruption only with the new filesystem types that are supported, or is FAT affected?
1st stage setup issues fixed
Is this referring to the ReactOS setup itself? I assume it isn't referring to 16-bit installer stubs, since I didn't see any mention of support for 16-bit code in the changelog, but I'd love to be wrong.

cantasan99
FTP Access

Post by cantasan99 »

Not at all! :)

FS corruptions might occur from anywhere, Common Cache (CC, a NT kernel module) is still incomplete. FastFAT is worse, since it's been written by ReactOS devs as back as early 2000s, there are plenty of leaks. FS drivers such as Btrfs or EXT2/3/4 are taken from another sources. Our devs sent pull requests occassionally, though. (Note: ReactOS still BSoDs with MS FastFAT driver.)

Sometimes, 1st stage setup (text-based ReactOS setup when booted from CD) can't see a disk, can't configure partitions or copy files, or there are bootloader related issues. Some of them have been fixed. You can take a look at JIRA (bug reports) for which issues have resolved in versions.

We should still wait for 16-bit setup stubs...

leomoskva
FTP Access

Post by leomoskva »

Ok. I used almost latest release - 73004 boot cd, and what i can say:
Not good, even if this is alpha. I seen it about a year ago, and nothing changed. Maybe there is a "more than needed" enchantments in api, but why user ( that word is main) see only a theme for desktop lol. I can't even install drivers for sound in vmware.
It is really great for education, but as finished os... Unbeliveable.
Belive or not - i'm still alive. Like GlaDOS

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

leomoskva wrote:but as finished os... Unbeliveable.
It's not finished...
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

leomoskva
FTP Access

Post by leomoskva »

Overdoze wrote:
It's not finished...
Not. But how do you imagine reactOS, that is complete? I mean, looks like it will be never finished[emoji1]

Отправлено с моего Viaan V401 через Tapatalk

roytam1
FTP Access

Post by roytam1 »

leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
It's not finished...
Not. But how do you imagine reactOS, that is complete? I mean, looks like it will be never finished[emoji1]

Ask Putin to put resources on developing ReactOS then :P

leomoskva
FTP Access

Post by leomoskva »

roytam1 wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
It's not finished...

In russia it was a school project. Kolibri OS looks more finished.

Drapy

Post by Drapy »

leomoskva wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
It's not finished...

I'd Take a look on it if it's possible
Nope, I'm back on the same old account.

Shrimp
FTP Access

Post by Shrimp »

I quite like how conservative the development team for ReactOS is, it doesn't extend much past the philosophy of Windows 2000 nor should it. Compatibility and stability will only continue to grow stronger.

leomoskva
FTP Access

Post by leomoskva »

Drapy wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote: It's not finished...

I'd Take a look on it if it's possible
Use nightly builds then

marotinho
FTP Access

Post by marotinho »

ReactOS is releasing new beta versions each 3 months or so, which is pretty nice if we consider it took a year (i guess) from 3.7 to 4.0 version. Their download center is good, make life easier to install tested software. Unfortunately a lot of software still doesn't work yet, but as i said, with new updates every 3 months we can expect a more stable and smooth system.

Feveth

Post by Feveth »

Last I used it (couple years back) it was pretty sparse in a ton of ways, with some preliminary implementations of stuff. Sorta reminds me of how early Windows worked, but baby steps.

atticusb05

Post by atticusb05 »

Has anyone actually been tracking ReactOS?
Never deem MS-DOS unusable. TeamViewerFTW- Minecraft, Desura and more!

cantasan99
FTP Access

Post by cantasan99 »

atticusb05 wrote:Has anyone actually been tracking ReactOS?
I am. You can find me in ReactOS community as ctasan.

cantasan99
FTP Access

Post by cantasan99 »

0.4.4 released yesterday ;)

This release includes basic printing support, more to come, especially completing spooling modules and adding USB printer support.

In Nov'16, Hermes Belusca was hired for adding Word 2010 support. Major fixes for services, advapi32 and userenv came in, more to come. Also, for shell, major leak fixes were made. Lastly, some Win32k fixes for proper drawing and improving networking DLLs to get more Internet-related apps working.

mijk

Post by mijk »

ReactOS is very promising. It needs some polishing though. Now a Wine oriented Linux distribution would be cool ;)

alt-x

Post by alt-x »

I don't think there would be much users for a wine-oriented Linux distribution: usually you pick Linux distribution to achieve some certain tasks. Wine is only necessary if some of them can not be achieved with pure linux tooling. Why would anyone switch their current distribution in favor of wine-oriented one?

Actually such thing existed, but proved to be not really popular. It was called "Lindows", and later on "Lindash".

plat

Post by plat »

I've run almost every released version and many of the trunk builds. I see clear progress in the latest versions. The biggest issue I see running in virtualbox is the lack of a sound driver. The latest Firefox version with HTML5 media player and all that stuff works ok.

plat

Post by plat »

alt-x wrote:I don't think there would be much users for a wine-oriented Linux distribution: usually you pick Linux distribution to achieve some certain tasks. Wine is only necessary if some of them can not be achieved with pure linux tooling. Why would anyone switch their current distribution in favor of wine-oriented one?

Actually such thing existed, but proved to be not really popular. It was called "Lindows", and later on "Lindash".

Yes, no need for such a thing. Wine is only a small supplement for most Linux users. ReactOS is great because it fills that gap between sort of the 'wild west' of Linux and the constrained environment of Windows.