BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 49m | CPU: 23% | MEM: 5368MB of 11537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:05 am 

Favourite OS
Qubes
Battler wrote:
Noone here has mentioned bitcoins. And please, let's keep civil and not backseat moderate. Warning issued.

one of your bots or administration approved that post.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
I can't believe the ReactOS 0.4.0 .iso is only 113MB, and I saw in their meeting minutes that someone thinks they have some duplicate files and they could shrink it a bit!! I guess I'm so used to modern OSes, it seems shocking that it is so small, but I sure like the idea of no bloat! It installed pretty quickly under VirtualBox on my 10 year old PC.

Once I was playing with it, I was disappointed to get "WOW16 applications are not supported at the moment" messages, it seems like maybe lots of older apps that aren't 16-bit themselves might have 16-bit installers? And then I tried Visual C++ 6.0 and got a blue screen error. I'll keep trying to find something that will actually install :) The built-in solitaire app seems to work though!

Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Ask AMD Radeon folks if they can take 100% advantage of their hardware. Ask Optimus users about the hacks that they need do with their laptops to run Linux on them.

You don't need to ask them, just tell them about your driver problems and they will tell you how much worse they have it :) I think someone told me some buggy Optimus-related script did "rm -rf /". No Windows driver ever did that to me!

Edit: I found https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic ... 22&t=10988, which covers the issue with 16-bit installers, or, as that post suggests, installer stubs. One of the workarounds involves running the installer on a real Windows machine so you can get the extracted 32-bit part of the installer. However, I think 7-Zip understands some of those installer formats, so that might be a better workaround. I'll try this out sometime.

Edit 2:
I haven't managed to use 7-Zip to do the above, but I did manage to install 7-Zip itself (version 15.14, and it had to be the 32-bit version).
I installed the VirtualBox guest tools from VBox 4.3 and can use shared folders. ReactOS didn't seem to be able to list the shares under \\vboxsrv, but you could provide a full path like \\vboxsrv\myshare and it worked - at least I could copy things from the shared folder, but trying to run installers directly from it seemed to cause hangs where it wouldn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I installed the old free Borland C++ 5.5 compiler and compiled a trivial C program with it.
I played Stella, the Atari 2600 emulator, for about 30 seconds (didn't do a stability test).
I tried to run AppleWin, but it seemed to hang, and my attempt to kill it using Task Manager failed and made Task Manager hang too, but the OS still responded to Ctrl-Alt-Del and I was able to use the Shut Down button, so that was nicer than hitting the (virtual) power button.
Google Picasa 3.9 seemed to be working, although a bit slow and with some weird font rendering issues for a little bit of the text.
It has a lot of quirks, like redraw issues, and keyboard shortcuts not working in the Start Menu and Explorer, but I was surprised by how much it is able to run!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
So... While we're on the road to 0.4.2, I want to pause the time and say a number of things:

Firstly, despite the devs' assertions, 0.4 was a biiig kernel, win32k and shell bugfix update. Not much work was done about USB, WiFi and sound issues, we have manpower shortages, some fixes was incorporated though. Instead, work was focused on the core. 0.4 contains about 1400 bug fixes, including very bigger ones! Stability has much improved over the 0.3.17.

Secondly, after big release, future plans was shifted: We'll now release about every 3 months, meaning we'll see more bug fixes in the long run. And we see: check out ReactOS for newly running programs! 0.4.2 is going to be a huge update for filesystems. It's not pointless, it helps us: some bugs were found in ntoskrnl (mainly common cache and filesystem runtime) and there are still known ones.

And... application compatibility tools are being added. In near future, we plan to shift to Vista and upwards! Now we have fastened! Some new devs are coming! Four GSoC 2016 students are working on different projects for improving our drivers!

You should really download a nightly build and test ReactOS!

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Nice, I like the optimism towards the project.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 am 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 16.04
I actually think ReactOS could be a really decent OS if some time was spent actually working on it. As for opinions, I quite like the OS just because of how easy it is to use. With a couple of apps installed, you can end up with a fully working system that you can do anything on. Also, because of the compatibility with Windows binaries, you can install pretty much any 32-bit Windows apps you can think of! :OD

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
0.4.2 released recently, or "ReactOS Filesystemania Update". That's good, at least we can improve our kernel... and FastFAT driver. Even though after branching for 0.4.2, fixes for reducing FS corruptions are ongoing. Second one is "small" shell fixes and improvements which makes some programs working now. Along with this, Win32 DLLs (from Wine), UNIATA, ACPI drivers updated; some system utilities improved, 1st stage setup issues fixed and so on... Now we start to do big things.

There's a small (?) problem: Due to an unimplemented function, Wine's latest D3D can't be synced ATM. Implementing this function requires rewriting some parts of our Win32 subsystem, which is not easy, so this was bypassed. Hope it'll be fixed on 0.4.3.

In the end, a funny thing: A patch that returns TRUE instead of 0 from SetThreadStackGuarantee made much-advertised .NET working :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
cantasan99 wrote:
0.4.2 released recently, or "ReactOS Filesystemania Update".

Cool, thanks for the update!
Quote:
fixes for reducing FS corruptions are ongoing

This sounds a bit scary! Is the corruption only with the new filesystem types that are supported, or is FAT affected?
Quote:
1st stage setup issues fixed

Is this referring to the ReactOS setup itself? I assume it isn't referring to 16-bit installer stubs, since I didn't see any mention of support for 16-bit code in the changelog, but I'd love to be wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
Not at all! :)

FS corruptions might occur from anywhere, Common Cache (CC, a NT kernel module) is still incomplete. FastFAT is worse, since it's been written by ReactOS devs as back as early 2000s, there are plenty of leaks. FS drivers such as Btrfs or EXT2/3/4 are taken from another sources. Our devs sent pull requests occassionally, though. (Note: ReactOS still BSoDs with MS FastFAT driver.)

Sometimes, 1st stage setup (text-based ReactOS setup when booted from CD) can't see a disk, can't configure partitions or copy files, or there are bootloader related issues. Some of them have been fixed. You can take a look at JIRA (bug reports) for which issues have resolved in versions.

We should still wait for 16-bit setup stubs...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Ok. I used almost latest release - 73004 boot cd, and what i can say:
Not good, even if this is alpha. I seen it about a year ago, and nothing changed. Maybe there is a "more than needed" enchantments in api, but why user ( that word is main) see only a theme for desktop lol. I can't even install drivers for sound in vmware.
It is really great for education, but as finished os... Unbeliveable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
leomoskva wrote:
but as finished os... Unbeliveable.

It's not finished...

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Overdoze wrote:
leomoskva wrote:

It's not finished...

Not. But how do you imagine reactOS, that is complete? I mean, looks like it will be never finished

Отправлено с моего Viaan V401 через Tapatalk

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
leomoskva wrote:

It's not finished...

Not. But how do you imagine reactOS, that is complete? I mean, looks like it will be never finished

Ask Putin to put resources on developing ReactOS then :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
roytam1 wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
leomoskva wrote:

It's not finished...

In russia it was a school project. Kolibri OS looks more finished.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:01 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 10
leomoskva wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
leomoskva wrote:

It's not finished...

I'd Take a look on it if it's possible

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
I quite like how conservative the development team for ReactOS is, it doesn't extend much past the philosophy of Windows 2000 nor should it. Compatibility and stability will only continue to grow stronger.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Drapy wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
roytam1 wrote:
leomoskva wrote:
Overdoze wrote:
[quote="leomoskva"]but as finished os... Unbeliveable.

It's not finished...

I'd Take a look on it if it's possible[/quote]
Use nightly builds then

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:13 pm 
FTP Access

ReactOS is releasing new beta versions each 3 months or so, which is pretty nice if we consider it took a year (i guess) from 3.7 to 4.0 version. Their download center is good, make life easier to install tested software. Unfortunately a lot of software still doesn't work yet, but as i said, with new updates every 3 months we can expect a more stable and smooth system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:07 am 

Favourite OS
Last I used it (couple years back) it was pretty sparse in a ton of ways, with some preliminary implementations of stuff. Sorta reminds me of how early Windows worked, but baby steps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 16.04
Has anyone actually been tracking ReactOS?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
atticusb05 wrote:
Has anyone actually been tracking ReactOS?

I am. You can find me in ReactOS community as ctasan.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
0.4.4 released yesterday ;)

This release includes basic printing support, more to come, especially completing spooling modules and adding USB printer support.

In Nov'16, Hermes Belusca was hired for adding Word 2010 support. Major fixes for services, advapi32 and userenv came in, more to come. Also, for shell, major leak fixes were made. Lastly, some Win32k fixes for proper drawing and improving networking DLLs to get more Internet-related apps working.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1
ReactOS is very promising. It needs some polishing though. Now a Wine oriented Linux distribution would be cool ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm 

I don't think there would be much users for a wine-oriented Linux distribution: usually you pick Linux distribution to achieve some certain tasks. Wine is only necessary if some of them can not be achieved with pure linux tooling. Why would anyone switch their current distribution in favor of wine-oriented one?

Actually such thing existed, but proved to be not really popular. It was called "Lindows", and later on "Lindash".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Amiga Workbench 1.3
I've run almost every released version and many of the trunk builds. I see clear progress in the latest versions. The biggest issue I see running in virtualbox is the lack of a sound driver. The latest Firefox version with HTML5 media player and all that stuff works ok.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ReactOS - Thoughts? Have you used it?        Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 pm 

Favourite OS
Amiga Workbench 1.3
alt-x wrote:
I don't think there would be much users for a wine-oriented Linux distribution: usually you pick Linux distribution to achieve some certain tasks. Wine is only necessary if some of them can not be achieved with pure linux tooling. Why would anyone switch their current distribution in favor of wine-oriented one?

Actually such thing existed, but proved to be not really popular. It was called "Lindows", and later on "Lindash".

Yes, no need for such a thing. Wine is only a small supplement for most Linux users. ReactOS is great because it fills that gap between sort of the 'wild west' of Linux and the constrained environment of Windows.

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next