BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 74d, 9h, 18m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 6354MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
Found this online. Any thoughts?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57616 ... ops-clues/

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
It's in a very, under development

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 6.3.9600.16497
Could that be the fruit of "Singularity"? It mentions C. And Singularity has .Net AND C.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.5 + 10.6, Win NT 6.X
Just looks like taking Singularity further and developing it more for commercial release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
Apparently Microsoft invented M# to help build it. It was just moved up into a different development department or something for further development, so it appears to actually be moving up

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
M#; ain't that Metro?
This could be Windows 9...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
M# is an extended version of C#, I think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:17 am 
Administrator

Why guess when you can find out the facts instead?

Wikipedia

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
mrpijey wrote:
Why guess when you can find out the facts instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_Sharp_(p ... g_language)

I can't seem to access that link...

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I have a feeling that if this project is successful and shows that operating systems can be created with managed code, Microsoft may decide to rewrite Windows in managed code (C#).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 am 
FTP Access

ratsrock2323 wrote:

That's because it's missing the closing bracket. Let's try again: M#

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Development Release #5
Still, however, I believe the wikipedia article is talking about something completely else.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-midori-the-m-connection-7000024664/ wrote:
[...] noting that M# (a codename he never uses himself) "should be seen (as) more of a set of extensions to C# — with minimal breaking changes — than a completely new language."

So it's not THE m# that's already avaliable, and the codename M# was probably made up by Mary Jo Foley. Also, while the finished M# the wiki article talks about it being made for web development, the Midori M# is supposed to be an extension to C# providing low-level functionality.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 am 
Administrator

ratsrock2323 wrote:

Sorry about that, seems the forum has issues with certain combinations of chars. I've edited my post to adjust this.

And it would be mighty confusing if MS has several projects named the same but differs significantly. M# should be M# and not something else entirely based on what it's used for... But if it's indeed just a codename then someone made a mistake by naming the codename in such a way that it would be easily confused. The zdnet link however seems to have a more accurate description of what is intended here, hopefully the wiki will be updated with this info as well to avoid future confusion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Development Release #5
The M# that is mentioned by wikipedia isn't by Microsoft, but by something called Geeks ltd.

So they codenamed it with a name that was already used by a third party. That's all the confusion there is. A solution for the wiki would be to add a disambiguation with links to something like "M# (Microsoft programming language)" and "M# (Geeks ltd. programming language)", but given the MS Programming Language's "M#" codename is still unconfirmed and from the looks of it something Mary Jo Foley came up with, I doubt anybody will bother to update wikipedia with the info anytime soon.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am 
Administrator

Ah, very well. At least we got an explanation now :).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Well, actually the CNET article in the open post links to a Microsoft developer's blog post (for the record it's http://joeduffyblog.com/2013/12/27/csha ... ogramming/), which provides a lot of first hand information on such language.
The name M# itself is never mentioned in the blog post, but that's not important, as it's probably made up by journalists.
So yeah, M# is a set of systems programming extensions for C#.
I'm not sure if writing Midori in M# can be a good idea, it really makes me think of Longhorn.

On the other hand, I don't think Microsoft has now the appeal to launch a completely new product.
It's not the 90's or the early 2000's anymore, when everyone felt the hype for every new Microsoft product.
In my opinion, if they don't build on Windows success, they won't succeed at all.
Furthermore, they should just "give up" on mobile and accept to be the little fish in the market, at least for the next few years.
It would be smarter to put some effort to consolidate their position in the desktop and server market instead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
I prefer to call that (M#) Top-C#.

So, Roslyn is compiler for that. As I said earlier in 2013 or something - Midori, the Singularity based OS is in development. Let's wait when 8 will be rolled out, then '9', and you'll see Midori in action.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm 
Donator

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:
Could that be the fruit of "Singularity"? It mentions C. And Singularity has .Net AND C.

Singularity has got a low amount of C when compared to C#/Spec#/Sing#
_______
M# is extended version of C#, probably based again on Spec#, just like in case of Sing#.
And, yes it could have been codenamed better, like Mid# or Mido#

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I'd love to know more about "M#" and to get my hands on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Probably for the next major version of the NT kernel (NT 7/8), we will see the kernel and drivers being rewritten into managed code (C#, M#, etc.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
So since Singularity is written in C(++/#), I suppose Microsoft is trying to recreate Singularity using a slightly better functioning language and build the kernel with certain extra extensions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yeah, Midori looks to be Singularity with a more commercial aspect and more lower-level code developed in "M#"/C#.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Terra854 wrote:
Probably for the next major version of the NT kernel (NT 7/8), we will see the kernel and drivers being rewritten into managed code (C#, M#, etc.)

Oh I love how you guys come out with all these big claims, with absolutely no argument to back them.
At the moment there's no proof Midori will belong to the NT family or even be marketed as a Windows OS.
My guess is a non-Windows, mostly cloud based OS. It makes sense, because if they move most of the computational load on the cloud, then they can overcome the loss of performance that managed code is going to bring.

And yes, Windows NT won't stay forever. As long as Microsoft stick with traditional computing, they'll be just fine with it for some time.
But if they decide to go for the cloud, it's possible that they won't need it anymore.
Use of a managed system programming language is consistent with the intention of switching to a simpler, easier to maintain OS codebase.

So, let's wait for more news about it, we know too little to make accurate predictions now.
I'm not that into speculation (like what you're reading now).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
bcfk, Midori IS non-Windows OS. And it's succesor to Windows. That's all.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft "Midori"        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:19 pm 
Donator

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:
So since Singularity is written in C(++/#), I suppose Microsoft is trying to recreate Singularity using a slightly better functioning language and build the kernel with certain extra extensions.

Singularity ISN'T written in plain C#. It's written in Sing#, which is an extension of Spec# (itself an extension of C#). And the lowest-level interrupt dispatch code is in C and ASM.
So I'd guess Microsoft will be extending Sing#, with the result being that mystery M#.

Top  Profile