BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 79d, 13h, 34m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 6376MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:18 pm 
FTP Access

I was taking a peek at the ancient versions of UNIX, and what mostly interested me was Unix System V, which, I believe, Solaris is based on.

(Take note that UNIX was first mentioned as an unknown PDP-11 operating system in July 1969, then renamed Unics, then UNIX.)

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, Unix SVR4 (System V Release 4) was the most successful version, and it was released in October 1988.

Wikipedia info:
System V Release 4.0 was announced on October 18, 1988 and was incorporated into a variety of commercial Unix products from early 1989 onwards. A joint project of Unix System Laboratories and Sun Microsystems, it combined technology from Release 3 as well as 4.3BSD, Xenix, and SunOS. New features included:

• From BSD: TCP/IP support, sockets, UFS, support for multiple groups, C shell;
  • From SunOS: the virtual file system interface (replacing the File System Switch in System V release 3), NFS, new virtual memory system including support for memory mapped files, an improved shared library system based on the SunOS 4.x model, the OpenWindows GUI environment, External Data Representation (XDR) and ONC RPC;
  • From Xenix: x86 device drivers, binary compatibility with Xenix (in the x86 version of System V);
  • Korn shell;
  • ANSI X3J11 C compatibility;
  • Multi-National Language Support (MNLS);
  • Better internationalization support;
  • An application binary interface (ABI);
  • Support for standards such as POSIX and X/Open.

The primary platforms for SVR4 were Intel x86 and SPARC; the SPARC version, called Solaris 2 (or, internally, SunOS 5.x), was developed by Sun. The relationship between Sun and AT&T was terminated after the release of SVR4, meaning that later versions of Solaris did not inherit features of later SVR4.x releases. Sun would in 2005 release most of the source code for Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10) as the open source OpenSolaris project, creating the only open-source (heavily modified) System V implementation available. The "Principal Publisher" for SVR4 on the Intel platform was ISC.

Many versions of SVR4 appeared, because of hardware vendors (HP, SGI) adapting it to their platform, and because porting houses (SCO, Microport, ESIX, UHC) sold enhanced and supported x86 versions. SVR4 was even ported to the Amiga (oh, finally, a Unix OS hits the Amiga :)) as Amiga Unix and to the Atari TT030 as Atari System V. Other popular System V derivatives include Dell SVR4 and Bull SVR4. A consortium of Intel-based resellers including Unisys, ICL, NCR Corporation, and Olivetti developed SVR4.0MP with multiprocessing capability (allowing system calls to be processed from any processor, but interrupt servicing only from a "master" processor). Release 4.1 ES (Enhanced Security) added security features required for Orange Book B2 compliance and Access Control Lists and support for dynamic loading of kernel modules.

Therefore, it was very advanced at its time. :)

Offtopic Comment
I'm not quite sure if you guys have it UNIX System V Release 4 on the FTP, but if you don't, I'll be glad to post the link in the download offers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:31 am 
Donator

An x86 version is on the FTP, as "AT&T UNIX System V Release 4 Version 2.1 (3½)" in the Abandonware Operating Systems section. I (for one) would appreciate any other builds or versions you have. I have run it in Bochs, set to emulate an ISA PC with a Pentium and a small (100MB) hard disk, and have also been playing around with it in my spare time. I cannot get it to run in VirtualBox (panics during install) or PCem (hangs forever before the copyright message is printed). I may post a writeup of some things you can do with it, once I have sorted out my VMware ESXi server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

Knuckx wrote:
An x86 version is on the FTP, as "AT&T UNIX System V Release 4 Version 2.1 (3½)" in the Abandonware Operating Systems section. I (for one) would appreciate any other builds or versions you have.

Well, it's the only version I have so far.

Speaking of which, what processor should I get for Bochs for UNIX System V? Is a Pentium 2 "Klamath" okay?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:21 pm 
Donator

With Bochs, I have been using pentium_mmx, but it seems to boot correctly with p2_klamath and p3_katmai. Choice of processor doesn't seem to really matter so much as the hard disk size and controller, as I have had it panic on boot with large HDDs. What would really be interesting is working network support, as one of the install disks is for a networking package...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:25 pm 
FTP Access

By the way, I did get it to work on VirtualBox! :D

Specs:

100MB VHD (I don't use VDI since it is VBox-only)
8 MB RAM
VT-x/AMD-V DISABLED

Now I need a few commands to get started. Time to explore /etc!

Offtopic Comment
FIX: I may make a video of it soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 pm 

Favourite OS
UNIX SVR4.2
I have a UnixWare 1.1 Personal Edition running on Bochs 2.5.1 using Athlon64_Venice.
Using VGABIOS-lgpl-latest-cirrus I can also configure the desktop to a 1024x768 resolution.
It did not recognise CDROM so I had to pass the tape to diskettes (in 2.01 is not possible) so I was able to install it.
floppy_bootsig_check: disabled=1; with floppy_bootsig_check: disabled=0 It does not boot.
HD is: ata0-master: type=disk, mode=flat, translation=none, path="D:\Downloads\bochs\Bochs-2.5.1\Systems\1.1 Personal Edition\unixwarePE.hdd", cylinders=4161, heads=16, spt=63, biosdetect=cmos, model="Generic 1234"

It runs very well in Bochs.

By the way: Sorry for my English, is not my native tongue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:34 pm 
FTP Access

ManelAL wrote:
I have a UnixWare 1.1 Personal Edition running on Bochs 2.5.1 using Athlon64_Venice.
Using VGABIOS-lgpl-latest-cirrus I can also configure the desktop to a 1024x768 resolution.
It did not recognise CDROM so I had to pass the tape to diskettes (in 2.01 is not possible) so I was able to install it.
floppy_bootsig_check: disabled=1; with floppy_bootsig_check: disabled=0 It does not boot.
HD is: ata0-master: type=disk, mode=flat, translation=none, path="D:\Downloads\bochs\Bochs-2.5.1\Systems\1.1 Personal Edition\unixwarePE.hdd", cylinders=4161, heads=16, spt=63, biosdetect=cmos, model="Generic 1234"

Is UnixWare 1.1 PE on the ftp? I am really not done checking it.

No, it isn't.

Last edited by DJ Deedahx on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Taking a closer look at Unix System V        Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am 

Favourite OS
UNIX SVR4.2
DJ Deedahx wrote:
ManelAL wrote:

Is UnixWare 1.1 PE on the ftp? I am really not done checking it.

It's an original system that I have. I'll upload when I get ftp access.

Top  Profile