BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 75d, 7h, 55m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 6479MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
I came up with some dumb idea. What if I could put the Reactos Kernel into an actual windows xp Os? I tried it out yesterday. The first part of setup went through fine, but when it came to booting up to finish the gui setup, there would just be this black screen after the bios prompt. No BSOD, no error message, nothing. I also tried this with a longhorn 4066 setup ( since it counts as server 2003), and same problem. I copied all the files from system 32 (x86 bit) that started with "nt" or had some abbreviation of "kernel". Could anyone tell me what I did wrong, or if this is even possible. I mean, the reactos site said it was based on xp/2003, so somewhere along the line they decompiled an actual xp/2003 kernel. Please don't post responses like "Why do you want to do this" or "You're dumb bro" or things like that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 pm 
Donator

ReactOS and the Windows NT kernel are both very different. Of course that wont work.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows ALL
Microsoft didn't allow ReactOS to have NT kernel code. So ReactOS kernel is just a NT-like and NT-compatible kernel and much different from NT kernel.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
System 6.0.8L
I definitely agree with 87825670. But... we do have to remember that ReactOS does try to be as close as it can to the 'real' NT kernel. The thing is... why would someone *want* to put the ReactOS kernel on a XP system?! This is essentially just putting a free kernel in a totally non-free software; I have run ReactOS and wouldn't recommend it to anyone on modern hardware anyway--it is too unstable. It looks like Windows 2000, but honestly, it is *not*. (But I do, of course, remember that ReactOS is in alpha stages at this time, so crashes and incomplete pieces can, of course, happen.)

To the OP: Now, if you have an ancient computer you don't use and want to boot and install React OS on that, please do. You can (although a lot will be incompatible) merge a few "real" Windows DLLs or tidbits into React OS if you want to... but I definitely wouldn't try to apply an alpha-grade kernel to a complete, and non-free software.

Anyway, there's my comments on this interesting project. Good luck with this... :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0-8.1 (All systems)
I think it's very difficult putting ReactOS kernel into XP or Longhorn, but good luck in this.

Computer addict, Web Designer and Advanced Programmer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 am 
Donator

At this point, ReactOS kernel is still very unstable and incomplete... And it's not 100% compatible with the NT kernel either (though it aims to be).

As a side note, you should know that the team uses clean room reverse engineering to re-implement (some) NT code. Which isn't copyright infringement and it's thus completely legal.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
I tried putting ros kernel (incl. dependencies, like hal) into a server 2003 iso.

As expected, it didn't work. :)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The Distractor wrote:
I tried putting ros kernel (incl. dependencies, like hal) into a server 2003 iso.

As expected, it didn't work. :)

Very pity, it will be interested if work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The one YOU are using right now
That seems like a recipe for disaster. Even the tiniest inconsistency with the target OS you're going to place the kernel in will lead to it being totally unusable.
Even if ReactOS were completely stable and feature-complete, you can bet that critical system DLLs rely on either rather nasty hacks or undocumented routines.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
It is possible to replace reactos files with windows files but keep an eye on the PE import tables.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
It wont work, but why would you wanna? ReactOS is the most unstable OS ive ever had the sad pleasure of using.

After all these years, its not even out of alpha. 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 pm 
Donator

startmenuisgone wrote:
ReactOS is the most unstable OS ive ever had the sad pleasure of using. After all these years, its not even out of alpha. 8-)

Well, at least I can appreciate their efforts. I'd like to see you create something even remotely compatible with Windows... You should also know that the project isn't financed by any major corporation or organisation. The mere fact that you can run a Windows EXE on a completely unrelated system, is quite an achievement if you ask me...

You should also know that as they aim to create an NT 5.X-like system, they've create it from scratch 15 years ago with little money and time. Microsoft has been working on NT since at least 1991 and they're one of the biggest companies in the world. And don't forget that While NT 5.X introduced new features, much of the code was inherited from previous versions.

But I agree, it's very unstable ATM and clearly not meant for daily use. Hopefully, they'll be able to stabilize it to some extent some day...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
DeFacto wrote:
startmenuisgone wrote:
ReactOS is the most unstable OS ive ever had the sad pleasure of using. After all these years, its not even out of alpha. 8-)

Well, at least I can appreciate their efforts. I'd like to see you create something even remotely compatible with Windows... You should also know that the project isn't financed by any major corporation or organisation. The mere fact that you can run a Windows EXE on a completely unrelated system, is quite an achievement if you ask me...

You should also know that as they aim to create an NT 5.X-like system, they've create it from scratch 15 years ago with little money and time. Microsoft has been working on NT since at least 1991 and they're one of the biggest companies in the world. And don't forget that While NT 5.X introduced new features, much of the code was inherited from previous versions.

But I agree, it's very unstable ATM and clearly not meant for daily use. Hopefully, they'll be able to stabilize it to some extent some day...

I did not say anything like that at all, yet, you seem to think i totally just bashed them to death. 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 pm 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
Perhaps you should try NT 4 or Windows 2000 first.

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows ShortHorn
What we can make is compile the dlls to help project (submit to react OS team) and/or test on Windows. Various fuctions are missing, but, we can try develop the code.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.5 + 10.6, Win NT 6.X
Samuka wrote:
What we can make is compile the dlls to help project (submit to react OS team) and/or test on Windows. Various [censored] are missing, but, we can try develop the code.

What's your programming experience?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows ShortHorn
I'm taking a college's course focusing on programming. And, i know c/c++. The problem are undocumented functions. For it, needs reverse engineering

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Samuka wrote:
I'm taking a college's course focusing on programming. And, i know c/c++. The problem are undocumented functions. For it, needs reverse engineering

For this, I think, you need learn Assembly language.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
George_528 wrote:
Samuka wrote:

For this, I think, you need learn Assembly language.

Wrong.

I am impressed by how committed you are to avoiding posting the right answer to any topic you reply to.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
System 6.0.8L
Well... instead of arguing over languages used for it, remember ReactOS is open source, so anyone could simply look at the code to determine the language, but I'm *very* sure that it's written in C/C++. I've only ran ReactOS a few times, and haven't looked at any particular source code (though I did download a source archive and browse it), and also looked at the Wikipedia page for it; in both cases, it's C.

One other thing I may have said earlier -- I know ReactOS is alpha software, and the team has done a lot... but I still consider ReactOS unstable from the PCs I've installed it on, and probably wouldn't install it on anything that needed to be stable. On one Latitude built in 1999, it actually sent a BSOD during boot and locked the touchpad up, so as much as I don't like Windows, I'd probably put 2000 Pro on instead until ReactOS is ready and leave normally functioning Windows installations like NT4/NT5-based copies alone. But really, like I said before, why put an incomplete, FOSS kernel on closed software?!

Quote:

Great! But why not focus on Gnu/Linux instead (with *lots* of free resources and toolkits, like Glade for Gnome/Gtk+ applications, that you can use to build various projects) or why not try iOS? If you know C & C++ already, Obj-C ought not to be a problem. Or, if you have to use Windows, work on legacy Windows programs for NT and 9x. It'd seriously be a waste of time to try to mess with ReactOS, since the user base is not that large right now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:34 am 

Favourite OS
SuSE Linux 7.2
yourepicfailure wrote:
I came up with some dumb idea. What if I could put the Reactos Kernel into an actual windows xp Os? I tried it out yesterday. The first part of setup went through fine, but when it came to booting up to finish the gui setup, there would just be this black screen after the bios prompt. No BSOD, no error message, nothing. I also tried this with a longhorn 4066 setup ( since it counts as server 2003), and same problem. I copied all the files from system 32 (x86 bit) that started with "nt" or had some abbreviation of "kernel". Could anyone tell me what I did wrong, or if this is even possible. I mean, the reactos site said it was based on xp/2003, so somewhere along the line they decompiled an actual xp/2003 kernel. Please don't post responses like "Why do you want to do this" or "You're dumb bro" or things like that.

The reactos kernel has limited driver support - however - if you were able to get it to continue to use VESA mode after booting up, you might have success. Most installers use VESA allowing the installer to work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:38 am 

Favourite OS
SuSE Linux 7.2
Samuka wrote:

The Haikuos project - is rewriting the BeOS operating system from scratch - with C/C++. In areas of reverse engineering - you may find the Wine project interesting - (www.winehq.com) as their goal is to reverse engineer Windows ABI's. If you like networking - the Samba Project's goal is to reverse engineer the Windows network stack and retain compatibility as they had previously.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm 

Favourite OS
7, OSX, Debian
Samuka wrote:
What we can make is compile the dlls to help project (submit to react OS team) and/or test on Windows. Various [censored] are missing, but, we can try develop the code.

As far as I remember, ReactOS uses Wine libraries. I also remember there was some Command&Conquer game which had a fix based on Wine's libraries since it didn't run on newer systems.

I believe trying to help them in this way isn't going to be time well spent

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm 
FTP Access

Do you think ReactOS will support Office 97 since it works on NT 4.0 Workstation?

Offtopic Comment
What a shame, I downloaded ReactOS 0.3.15 and it just doesn't work.

I know it's not my internet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Putting the reactos Kernel into Windows xp/Longhorn        Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 am 

Favourite OS
SuSE Linux 7.2
DJ Deedahx wrote:
Do you think ReactOS will support Office 97 since it works on NT 4.0 Workstation?

Integration of wine features into Reactos is unknown to me. It is worth trying, you have a reasonably good chance in ReactOS, as Office support has been in place for quite some time, at least in Wine. Office 97 is fairly well supported by the Wine Project, which runs in many of the mature Unix like operating systems. The Wine project has tracked its functionality here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=5143

What this means practically, is that you can run Microsoft Office 97 in Linux or the BSD's, including PCBSD.

Linux has Cross over Office, which works reasonably well in my experience, and doesn't require the user to deal with the details outlined in the below web page. I know it works, as I have done this before.

Here is an older tutorial on doing so in the BSD's: http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/041129A/

Top  Profile