BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 79d, 14h, 21m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 6436MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Window Managers!        Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Gentoo Linux
What window managers are you guys currently using, and what Display Manager are you using?

I usually use (and am using) JWM with SLIM, though i use Gnome 3 with SLIM as well.

(w00t star #1)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp FP15
I use XFCE, so my window manager is xfwm.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm 
Donator

WindowMaker and XDM

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:40 pm 
Donator

I use LXDE, but I am unsure what window manager it uses (openbox?)

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Gentoo Linux
Wheatley wrote:
I use LXDE, but I am unsure what window manager it uses (openbox?)

I think it's LXDM. It is the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, and Desktop Environments usually come with their own Display Manager.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT
I prefer xfce/xfwm over most since it leverages the look and feel of Gnome 2 and low resource usage. I cant stand the new Gnome though, nor unity.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DreckigOS v0.007 Alpha
I use GNOME 2, so Metacity.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7981
Windows 7, so Windows theme manager

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:22 pm 
Donator

xZEROx wrote:
Windows 7, so Windows theme manager

Lolwut? I think you meant Desktop Window Manager...

Also, not trying to backseat moderate, but:
Quote:
Board index » Operating System and Game Discussion » *nix, and Other Operating Systems
Window Managers!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:06 am 
Donator

I only have a Debian VM at the moment and I had chosen to use the build with XFCE, therefore XFWM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
FreeBSD
Fluxbox on newer and Blackbox on older releases. They both have good standard window management, a taskbar, and virtual desktops with little overhead. I have an xterm open with the window manager by default at startup.

KDE and Gnome pull in too many dependencies while tending to install suites of apps you may not want. Of the two I'd go with KDE for appearance and customization options (within limits), but it's also more of a moving target across minor versions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:09 am 

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 SP5
"awesome" is indeed an awesome window manager. It arranges your windows into neat tiles for you, and it's very keyboard-driven.

I usually don't use display managers. I like just logging into the shell and using startx if I actually need to use X. But if I had to use one, I'd use LightDM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Xenix 2.3.4
Because I'm running an ubuntu-ized Chromebook, I'm running XFCE/xfwm right now.

At some point in my copious amounts of free time, I'll build Open Look and run OLVWM again. Still the best...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X !
I'm currently using Gala, on Elementary OS. It is beautiful, but it takes a lot of ressources !

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Take a wild guess what i'm using on my dedi, funnily enough it's Gnome :)

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:04 pm 

Favourite OS
any γ release around
usually you only need to use the default window manager comes with the desktop environement.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 pm 
FTP Access

I've been using Gnome 3 on Arch, but I prefer Cinnamon over it. Cinnamon was broken on Arch for a while, and now I'm using it on Mint.

I think I want to move to MATE with Docky though. I'm not much of a fan of the laggy, bloated interfaces of GNOME 3 and Cinnamon anymore. MATE is simple, works more nicely than XFCE (in my opinion), and can be themed very nicely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 am 

Favourite OS
Any
I use XFCE or Gnome Classic on Debian 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm 

A good choice is the CDE (Common Desktop Environment). It was created by a collaboration of Sun, HP, IBM, DEC, SCO, Fujitsu and Hitachi. Linux version of this Windows Manager at http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 am 
FTP Access

I'm using fluxbox.
But I'm thinking about playing around with Wayland, which unfortunately has a pretty limited choice in WMs (or rather, "compositors") right now...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm 

Xfce is lighter on resources than the other major Desktop Environments (KDE or GNOME). With Active Development Applications and great future.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm 

On both my main PC and my Laptop I use Arch Linux x64, though my main PC is a dual-boot with Windows 8, and I stay in the latter most of the time.

The window manager I use for the main PC is Cinnamon (it can easily handle it), but I keep the laptop feather-light; Openbox + Compton compositor, no DE, and do most file management from the terminal.

Heck, on my laptop, if I can help it, I'll avoid using X at all save for running Eclipse/Chromium or heavy GTK apps. "fbv" and "mplayer -vo fbdev2" work fine for quick image/video viewing from a shell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 am 

Favourite OS
NetBSD
I am a fan of ratpoison, a tiling wm controlled exclusively from the keyboard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 pm 

The ratpoison window manager is interesting for developers and testers - i like it -, but not for working every day. Many apps that people use habitually needs gnome o or kde libraries.

For this, not using kde or gnome due their penalties for cpu and rsources, is more effective fluxbox or xfce - I prefer this last one -. They're gnome and kde compatibles, and "low resource usage".

For compatibility with other unix, CDE is my first option.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Window Managers!        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:57 pm 

Favourite OS
NetBSD
carlos78 wrote:
The ratpoison window manager is interesting for developers and testers - i like it -, but not for working every day. Many apps that people use habitually needs gnome o or kde libraries.

For this, not using kde or gnome due their penalties for cpu and rsources, is more effective fluxbox or xfce - I prefer this last one -. They're gnome and kde compatibles, and "low resource usage".

For compatibility with other unix, CDE is my first option.

Also ratpoison has issues with programs that use floating windows such as gimp. To get around it there is a built-in command to temporarily switch to a different window manager but it has been known to crash if not used carefully.

To be honest, I spend most of my time at the console and keep X11 around merely for mplayer and firefox.

Top  Profile