BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 79d, 14h, 9m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 6407MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Kind of a stupid question, but, yes can I get it similar to XP? I know that bootscreen reskinning is possible, and there is this ClassicShell project, but is there anything more? Luna instead of Aero, NO references to Windows7, menus and windows acting like XP, and stuff like that. Maybe replacing the explorer.exe with the XP one would somewhat help? Don't hurry to reply, as I'm still using XP now, and haven't even been checking stores for Win7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows DP 8102
You will probably want something like this.
http://www.askvg.com/download-windows-x ... windows-7/
Replacing explorer will not help. Although you can use explorer from 32-bit version of XP in Windows 7 64-bit, but you will get an ugly taskbar, unusable start menu and other things still remain 7.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
tonychau77 wrote:
Replacing explorer will not help. Although you can use explorer from 32-bit version of XP in Windows 7 64-bit, but you will get an ugly taskbar, unusable start menu and other things still remain 7.

Yyyyeeeeeaa, but a simple Luna theme is not enough - it still looks and feels like pure 7. Any more suggestions?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows DP 8102
ATOS Productions wrote:
tonychau77 wrote:

Yyyyeeeeeaa, but a simple Luna theme is not enough - it still looks and feels like pure 7. Any more suggestions?

No ideas other than theming after googling.
I think it is pretty close to XP. Taskbar, windows frame, progress bars, etc. They are all XP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn, Shorthorn, Vista, 7, 8
You can't get XP things other than icons, theme, boot, etc

Maybe install XP theme and install XP mode with VMWare and then replace explorer in 7 with explorer in XP mode. So you got XP experience on 7 :p

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Y'say not even an alternate UI kind of thing? Guess I'm sticking to the XP

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Hey, but is there nothing like unofficial OSes which could be used instead of 7? What I wanted from 7 was mostly just decent 64-bit OS, and DX10/11 support.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm 
Donator

ATOS Productions wrote:
Hey, but is there nothing like unofficial OSes which could be used instead of 7? What I wanted from 7 was mostly just decent 64-bit OS, and DX10/11 support.

Nope. Go with 7. It's not that hard to get used to it. You could dual boot with Windows XP as well.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Nah. If I wanted dual boot, I'd do that. I really want XP interface on 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm 
Donator

ATOS Productions wrote:

Then you are out of luck. You cannot have a fully Windows XP looking interface, ever. Just stick with XP if you cannot get used to 7.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whatever works
Wheatley wrote:
ATOS Productions wrote:

Then you are out of luck. You cannot have a fully Windows XP looking interface, ever. Just stick with XP if you cannot get used to 7.

Guess I'm gonna get used to the SharpEnviro, and use that with an XP theme

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
I found a Transformation pack for Windows 7 that transforms it into Windows XP.

The pack is 2 versions x86 and x64 bit.

I haven't installed it but as it is an .exe I recommend making a system restore point.

Remember to download the CORRECT version for your OS.

x86: http://hameddanger.deviantart.com/art/X ... -276223347

x64: http://hameddanger.deviantart.com/art/X ... -276223304

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:43 pm 

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11
NathanS221 wrote:

I haven't installed it but as it is an .exe I recommend making a system restore point.

Thank you for the links. I too am looking at getting an XP-work-alike on 2 laptops here.
FWIW: Inside the zip for the x64 offline installer is a .exe - which can be opened and browsed with 7-Zip. It appears the package includes a` copy Reshacker. I hope to read here if others have installed it, and what they think of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2600 SP3
There's several XP themes on Deviantart.com, for instance, this one - http://satukoro.deviantart.com/art/Luna ... -136960235. If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft prepackages XP icons with Windows 7, so there's no need to download extra icons. There's also a bunch of places where you can get the XP sounds, like the boot, shutdown, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Wizman wrote:
NathanS221 wrote:

Thank you for the links. I too am looking at getting an XP-work-alike on 2 laptops here.
FWIW: Inside the zip for the x64 offline installer is a .exe - which can be opened and browsed with 7-Zip. It appears the package includes a` copy Reshacker. I hope to read here if others have installed it, and what they think of it.

Your welcome, it should work quite well, I've used this theme before on a 32bit machine.
Be careful when using a theme with a modded boot screen [I.E OS X 10.8 theme/Unbuntu] as I've seen people claim they're stuck in Startup Repair. This theme doesn't have a modded boot screen but I'm just saying incase you get bored of the XP theme and want OS X or Unbuntu etc.

When you install this theme, you'll have the Windows 7 close/maximize/minimize buttons but if you go to the themes through Control Panel, select LUNA not Luna Aero just Luna.

Also I found Windows XP sound scheme for Windows 7 here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sqm7g ... +Vista.rar
Make sure the XP folder is in C:\Windows\Media NOT C:\Windows\Media\Windows Classic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
FTP Access

According to what I've seen and heard, the only way to properly make windows 7 truly look and entirely function like XP is to completely rebuild the whole GUI and somehow force windows 7 to use graphics and codes from windows XP, but a full scale rebuild of the GUI is virtually impossible unless you are building a fresh new version of windows 7 made and coded almost entirely by you-- but it would still have to have windows 7 code by default for things like OS genuine ID, and accessing windows updates.

Other than that, if you want to use one of the conversion packs in the links above, just know that it mainly works for getting the desktop background and most of the toolbar appearance, and it has a bit of the windows xp appearance for each window, but a simple program like that isn't enough to get the actual eXPerience out of windows 7 with an XP graphic code.

Personally, I'd suggest starting from the top by changing the theme itself to either Luna or Royale, (I'm sure there are windows 7 versions of some xp themes) then you should install a program called Vista Start Menu-- this program makes the start menu a lot more tasteful. Next, if you're looking to go full scale, one other thing you might want to try is replacing the right-click menu completely with the right-click menu data the XP uses. (actually, I'm not sure if replacing the right-click menu is possible, but you can try) Finally, if you're seriously in to the XP GUI, what you really may need to do is somehow modify the toolbar to look and function like in XP-- I'm sure there is a program to do this somewhere.

I could go into more detail about how to detail windows 7 graphics making it look like XP, but this is just my opinion on the subject with a few suggestions.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 1.00
i dont think that it'll work. i'd rather pefer to use retail xp than 7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
FTP Access

why dont just use Xp?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Try this site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_al ... or_Windows

Yes, it's wikipedia, but it gives alternate shells. I found that 'classic shell' will do both windows xp and xp-classic (ie 2000) style menus.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 & Ubuntu
if for some reason you cant just get windows XP, just google for windows 7 skins that look like XP

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to make Win7 look and act like XP?        Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 pm 

Favourite OS
any γ release around
You could install themes like Luna for Win7 to have similar appearance. For applications, most XP compatible applications run well with Win7, if you still have a problem you could install XP mode for Win7, using this tool, you could install and run program as if you were using a computer running Windows XP.

Top  Profile