BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 79d, 13h, 46m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 6442MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Most popular Linux distros before ubuntu?        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:13 am 
FTP Access

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System was the first real distro. And I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X was the first to have bootable installation media before that you just had to dump the distro on the disk from an archive. Gentoo is still installed in that manner today.

I remember Fedora Core, I think a friend may have used Corel Linux but I never saw it running personally. PuppyLinux was my first distro... small download size was the key factor there since I was on dialup at the time. Specifically I was using MeanPup 1.05 which had opera and a few other things in a 50Mb iso. I think it was still using a 2.4 series kernel back then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most popular Linux distros before ubuntu?        Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:20 am 
FTP Access

It depends on what you mean by 'popular.' There are many different marketplaces to consider.

In terms of the 'Enterprise' market, Ubuntu was never even considered. There it's either Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SuSE Linux Enterprise Server. RHEL tends to be more popular in the US enterprise market, whiles SLES is more popular in the European enterprise market.

In terms of non-enterprise, but still business based Linux distributions, the popular variants were the above mentioned Enterprise distributions, there free variants (re: CentOS instead of RHEL), and Debian.

In terms of the Desktop marketplace, that was an area where lots of people have tried, but Ubuntu had the most success. I think Ubuntu did a lot of work to create an actual Desktop Linux marketplace, and took a bunch of marketshare in business and startup based Linux distributions. They never got any traction in the Enterprise market, and I don't see that ever happening. The enterprise market is conservative, and Ubuntu is not.

In terms of where Ubuntu is going? I don't see it having a very good future, at least in terms of the official Canonical Ubuntu. Ubuntu does not have a real business plan. They're basically doing what Red Hat and a bunch of others tried in the late 90s. Except, back then it would make sense to go to BestBuy or such and pay $20 for a boxed OS, now you can just download it. Red Hat failed with Ubuntu's current strategy, and only became a successful business when they went Enterprise. I don't see Ubuntu entering the Enterprise market ever. I think Ubuntu's future is that Canonical will bleed cash, and Ubuntu will be forked into a community distribution.

Ubuntu is trying for tablet/phone market, but Android has long since won that.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I've been using Linux for about two decades now, and I've seen a lot of distributions comes and go.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most popular Linux distros before ubuntu?        Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP1
Mandrake, Gentoo and Debian come to mind as distros popular before Ubuntu. I do think that Ubuntu's glory days are numbered. I don't like the way it's becoming more and more cloud focused, plus ever since they introduced Unity as a DE I've just been put off by it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most popular Linux distros before ubuntu?        Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 14.04
Mint, Debian, GNOME, KDE, gOS, Chrome OS... Look here:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
for an idea of what are the most popular. But I'd definately say Mint comes after Ubuntu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most popular Linux distros before ubuntu?        Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:01 am 
FTP Access

xeznofdsf wrote:
Mint, Debian, GNOME, KDE, gOS, Chrome OS... Look here:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
for an idea of what are the most popular. But I'd definately say Mint comes after Ubuntu.

Yes, that is very true, for Linux Mint originated as a beta release in 2006.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Most popular Linux distros before ubuntu?        Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 6.1, WP8, OS X 10.6
Chrome OS came out about 3 years ago, not exactly a popular distro before Ubuntu.

Top  Profile