BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 75d, 15h, 44m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 6420MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm 

Favourite OS
linux
Mageia is a good distro for beginner, nice interface and the MCC (mageia Control Centre) is almost like the windows Control Panel. And the 3rd release should be soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Gentoo Linux
There are also Mandriva and OpenSuse, which are beginner oriented like Ubuntu and Mint

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
FEDORA 18
Ubuntu is the #1 and the most popular distro out there. Even though Linux Mint appeals more to new users, Ubuntu has a rigorous release cycle and tends to have more features implemented in each release. Ubuntu does not come with a load of software and codecs pre installed like Linux Mint. So new users may have trouble playing certain media formats and may require a few command line installations. But due to the excellent community support they can be sorted out within minutes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 am 

Favourite OS
Linux 2.6.x
I'd say Linux Mint. Ubuntu is great and I use it, but Unity is confusing and Mint is basically the same "under the hood" as Ubuntu, but in my opinion even easier for beginners and it uses a UI that you'll probably feel much more familiar with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 am 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 10.04
I would go for Ubuntu. I did so myself a few years ago, back then I was a fish out of water when it came to Linux as a whole, but I never looked back. Went pretty smooth, especially after finding the tutorials and cheat sheets to get me started. But with that said; find enough cheat sheets and I'd say Linux Mint is a close second.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:58 am 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
If you want to learn linux, then go with Arch. Everything is well-documented at their wiki.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:20 pm 

Favourite OS
Workbench 3.x
gabrielustuca wrote:
For beginners I recommend Zorin OS.

Yes, I second it.

So does this guy's mother:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiHe_0_bCO0
;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
w7
it depends what youwant - 1) for only experiments I suggest live distros like puppy linux, slax .. only to see what linux does it mean, visual experience where are I find some items ... with live cd/dvd no damage can destroy your pc

2) for serious beginning of linux I suggest ubuntu (for huge advices on ubuntuforums.com - everything is there explained) and after some months and gaining experiences you can try debian stable (for more serious conservative *nix work)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2600 SP3
It sounds weird, but I'd suggest Lubuntu as a good starting OS - it's interface is very similar to Windows in the fact you have a start button at the bottom, the Start menu, stuff like that. If that goes wrong, Linux Mint works well as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:03 pm 

Favourite OS
Build 7601 , Fedora (KDE)
I think the obvious choice must be something like Ubuntu or Mint. Depends on your situation and whether you require a GUI i suppose. With lots of mainstream distributions its important to look at the versions and also whether they are Long Term Support editions. Otherwise you may find your edition isnt supported after a year or so.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
As many people before my allready said, I made the best experience with Linux Mint and Ubuntu. You can also try Fedora, but for beginners I recommend Debian Based Systems as they are sometimes easier e.g. installing packages or something under Fedora and SUSE you have RPM as installation package handler which is not so popular!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good beginners Linux distro        Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:54 am 
FTP Access

The Linux magazine manual which I bought from Poundland here in UK contains a free version of Ubuntu 12.04 and is aimed at new users. It contains step by step workshops in installing and using Linux.

Top  Profile