Windows 3.3 suggestions?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Windows 3.3 suggestions?

Post by blahsucks-two »

I'm thinking of working on a custom OS based on WFW 3.11 (okay, it's not technically Windows 3.1, but it's really close). This will be done through a revamped setup process (with new drivers, applications, and tweaks).

Basically, I'm going to have the setup program copy a full installation of the OS, with everything installed, directly to hard disk and then SYS it. It's the simplest solution, IMO.

The AUTOEXEC.BAT copied will launch Windows Setup on reboot, giving the user a chance to select drivers and such.

The real question is about what I will include. I already have drivers for Virtual PC, but not VMware.

At this point, I'm going with:
Netscape 4.? 16-bit
IE5 16-bit
Opera 3.62
TCP/IP stack
-maybe- Calmira and other similar stuff (optional in the setup process, of course)
VESA drivers
Network drivers

That's about it. Anyone have any similar suggestions? I'm seriously considering going with NT 3.51, which would probably have a lot more things to include. Any comments on that would be nice, too.

Flare
FTP Access

Post by Flare »

Sounds fine to me.

kichimi
Donator

Post by kichimi »

Maybe you could make it look a bit nicer, i know theres a way to change the colour of the BSOD, and maybe try and get it to suport 32 Bit colour
The better candies are in the cage

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

kichimi wrote:Maybe you could make it look a bit nicer, i know theres a way to change the colour of the BSOD, and maybe try and get it to suport 32 Bit colour
Thats funny, but dont discourage him

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

I think better thing woud be customizing NT 3.51 while its 32-bit and can be integrated with the New shell...

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

FiFi wrote:I think better thing woud be customizing NT 3.51 while its 32-bit and can be integrated with the New shell...
That could be quite a nice project - NewShell is a bit buggy so if it could be fixed you could make a very small NT for PCs that otherwise can't run a "modern" (Explorer interface) NT. Although with NewShell is NT3 almost as heavy as NT4?

Antz
FTP Access

Post by Antz »

FiFi wrote:I think better thing woud be customizing NT 3.51 while its 32-bit and can be integrated with the New shell...
would be interesting

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I got a "Windows 3.13" from RentedMule's FTP recently, it is a hacked copy of WFW 3.11 as far as I've looked into it, but I don't know if anything has been integrated or changed...

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

I would add Wired for Sound (Motherboard Sound) and finally add as many drivers I could find...
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

benny1091
FTP Access

Post by benny1091 »

Maybe you can implement some new features into it, like a dock or sumthin. Im sure if you did that, people would really like it. I am writing an mp3 player based on quicktime, maybe that would help? pm me if you are interested. But as for Calmira, use Calmira XP. That will win a few people over. Windows 3.1 was, in my opinion, the best Windows ever made. If this update is given, it will be the best, at least for older system. I heard there is a USB Driver for MS-DOS on the internet, apply that before starting Windows and you could have a small, 98+ like operating system that is only 16bit. I'm thinking of doin sumthin like wut ur doin, but with Windows 3.0, bcuz it was one of the best windows 3.x programs. You made a godd choice with Win 3.11 For Workgroups, because you can have network support too, lol. I can just go on and on, but I wont.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

There's not only a USB driver for DOS, but also a FireWire driver. And I heard you can even get WLAN working (but only with a certain card IIRC).
(But the idea of a customized and modernized NT 3.51 is even better in my eyes even though NT is more hardware-hungry than 3.x).

Orry Verducci

Post by Orry Verducci »

I personally would be more in favour of a customised NT3.51. Also please do use Calmira XP. All we need now is someone to make a Calmira Vista

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Orry Verducci wrote:I personally would be more in favour of a customised NT3.51. Also please do use Calmira XP. All we need now is someone to make a Calmira Vista
Hmm... I believe all these 32-bit icons and the visual style would look awful as Calmira (XP) supports up to 256-color icons, if I remember correctly. Other than that, I second your idea. NT 3.51 + Calmira XP (or without it if you like the Program Manager/File Manager more) is the way to go for a light-weight Windows to use on older PCs. I'm looking forward to installing NT 3.51 on my "new-old" laptop and tweaking it, especially seeing what programs more or less programs will still run on it.

RentedMule
Donator

Why?

Post by RentedMule »

NT4 runs great on a 486 with 16MB of ram. It is stable, has a full implementation of the win32 api, not to mention oodles more. Hell, you CAN run it on 4 MB of ram.

AnDrEwP182
FTP Access

Post by AnDrEwP182 »

Windows 3.3 is th equivilant to Windows 3.1 Japanese.
Because we all know that Windows 3.2 was Chinese...

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

AnDrEwP182 wrote:Windows 3.3 is th equivilant to Windows 3.1 Japanese.
Because we all know that Windows 3.2 was Chinese...
Where did you get that from? AFAIK, there has never been a Windows 3.x version >3.2. There was a Japanese Windows 3.1, as there was a Traditional and Simplified Chinese 3.1 as well.

RentedMule
Donator

Windows 3.2

Post by RentedMule »

When I had my MSDN subscription, there was a version of Windows 3.2 for Simplified Chinese

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

Actually, I am more interested in 3.51, but it's a bit more complex. I haven't had much time, but I am looking into it.

A bit off-topic, but I actually used Arachne on DOS with a packet-driver and wired LAN for a few weeks. The browser is really old, probably around NS4 or IE5 level compatibility.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@RentedMule
You're right, it's like this IIRC:

Windows 3.1: Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
Windows 3.2: Simplified Chinese only

concerning Asian Windows 3.1x versions. But there has never been a real Windows 3.3 by Microsoft I guess.

Orry Verducci

Post by Orry Verducci »

I am 99.9% sure that an official Windows 3.3 DOESN'T exist.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Me too.

Betaman2000

Post by Betaman2000 »

I think this will be a good project. I can help out if you want. Just PM/Email me if you need me

James
Staff

Post by James »

Dude!!! to change the BSOD color, go to Toastytech.com and click on BSod Properties and it lets you change it in 3.1,95,98,ME. no effect on NT
James *~*~* BA Moderator | Alternate History writer

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

Why bump a topic more than 30 days old?

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

WildEye001 wrote:Dude!!! to change the BSOD color, go to Toastytech.com and click on BSod Properties and it lets you change it in 3.1,95,98,ME. no effect on NT
Yes, This topic is extremely old, Almost 11 months old in fact. Please read the rules.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"