BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 1h, 52m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 2034MB of 2917MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Complete Newbie        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:49 pm 
Donator

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to linux but i am egar to learn. I am looking at creating a server to share files, printers, http and ftp. Which distro would be best to use as a server? and how simple is it to share files and printers to a windows network?

Any help would be most appreciated

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:57 pm 
Donator

Well, a server generally requires active maintenance for security patches and such. For that reason, I would rule out Gentoo for you, being that it in itself is a lot of work keeping up to date.

Slackware is a good choice. Installation is a matter of picking what exactly you want from a menu and you go... aside from having to partition the drives yourself. Security is tight from the get go, and the layout is simple and practically unchanged since Slackware 1.0, so support and questions are more than readily available.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:21 pm 
FTP Access

If you are new to Linux I would choose something with a simplified installation method. Against my better judgement I will recommend Ubuntu Server Edition (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUb ... veredition). Though I have never used it, I have used Ubuntu and it is simple and user friendly.

Personally I would choose Debian but it isn't as easy (though I believe their new installation method will allow you to choose a server installation) for beginners.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Try mandrake or Suse, but it maybe better for you to just install Apache server...

If you want free server software you don't have to get Linux...

Ubuntu, is a good distro to learn on but it is horrid using it for a couple of reasons...
#1 Seems to have more junk preinstalled then any OS I have ever seen
#2 It doesn't perform better then Windows, even if you do things like compile the kernel...

When you are choosing a distro to actually use, I would strongly reccomend either Gentoo or Arch, because it is possible to make them perform faster then Windows...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:54 pm 
Donator

I'd also go for Arch or Debian Etch. Both aren't ridicolously easy to set up (but there's good documentation for both) but are suited well for a server. Debian Etch, the current stable release, should be your choice if you go the Debian route. The documentation will get you started quickly and flawlessly (and there's a GUI installer available optionally), and Debian is a very stable distro with focus on security. Maintenance is required, but straightforward (i.e. updating a Debian system is a matter of entering two commands, the rest is done automatically; and so is installing new packages.)

I'd not recommend Mandrake, SUSE or any other of "those" distros as my impression is they seem to be optimised for general-purpose desktop usage and thus contain much stuff you won't need on a server. I generally don't like Ubuntu, but you may want to give Ubuntu Server a go although Debian Etch which my vote goes to isn't much harder to set up and administer. Keep in mind Ubuntu Server will not come with a GUI, administration will be done from the CLI. Same will be for a "server" installation of any other distro though, as GUIs are not required to manage the system. If you want to be able to manage from a browser-based interface, have a look at Webmin.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:16 pm 
Donator

Thanks for all your recommendations, i will look into them however..

I have been looking at CentOS and Fedora as these are used by professional data centres, does anyone have experience with these distros? if so are they any good?

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 pm 
Donator

CentOS and Fedora are closely related to each other, Fedora is designed to be a community desktop distro, CentOS is a recompile of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, thus, I'd prefer it to Fedora. I haven't used any of them for an extended period of time personally (I've only used RedHat/Fedora briefly), but I've heard CentOS is very stable as well, has a fast package management system (RPM-based) and is used by a few commercial web hosters. Feel free to try it, it's designed to be a server from the start.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:57 am 
Permanently Banned

FreeBSD or Darwin :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 am 
Donator

Zimmy wrote:
FreeBSD or Darwin :)

Not to discourage their use here, but the thread starter asked for a Linux distro :) Both *BSD and Darwin are suited well for use as a server, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 am 
Donator

The Gentoo Wiki is a great source of information, even if you're not using Gentoo.

Oh, congratulations! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:17 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Apache wrote:
Thanks for all your recommendations, i will look into them however..

I have been looking at CentOS and Fedora as these are used by professional data centres, does anyone have experience with these distros? if so are they any good?

I have yet to see anybody use CentOS, but Red Hat wasn't a bad server operating system.

I don't know many profesional data centers; out of the two I have seen one was a Windows NT 4 and the other was running some kind of BSD.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:41 am 
i found a prty kul linux, calld puppy linux, im thnkn about pttng it on my lptop, it mite b gud 4 u 2?

Admin edit: Start writing your posts in proper English or I will simply delete them. Everyone else can manage it, so can you.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:24 am 
Donator

Kelsey24 wrote:
i found a prty kul linux, calld puppy linux, im thnkn about pttng it on my lptop, it mite b gud 4 u 2?

I can only repeat what the Admin has said. Write proper English or your posts will be deleted.

On the topic, Puppy Linux is nice and fast, but it introduces some non-standard behaviour (i.e. standad login as root(!)), thus I wouldn't recommend it as a server OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:27 pm 
Donator

empireum wrote:
On the topic, Puppy Linux is nice and fast, but it introduces some non-standard behaviour (i.e. standad login as root(!)), thus I wouldn't recommend it as a server OS.

If it defaults to root login, I wouldn't recommend it at all. That was one of the main criticisms early Linspire (then Lindows) versions suffered from.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:09 pm 
Donator

ppc_digger wrote:
If it defaults to root login, I wouldn't recommend it at all. That was one of the main criticisms early Linspire (then Lindows) versions suffered from.

It does, that's why I'm a bit sceptic. Additionally, it uses a proprietary way of managing software and seems to have some other customization built in.

Top  Profile