BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 77d, 6h, 27m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 6401MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is it?        Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1 & Windows 95
Last year I bought a collection of junk (advertised as good floppies). Whitin this collection there was not many interesting stuff except for at least one pile of floppies... 15 floppies to be precise.

These 15 floppies are all Olivetti branded and as far as I can see mostly untouched (except for one IHC header). 2 disks have headers that could be interpreted by Dos/Windows (IBM format) and the others seems to be without any kind of header and just the information starting at 0x0.

These are 4 of the 15 disks...
Image Image Image Image

The question: What is it?
The only thing I can think of is that it's an Unix based OS developped by Olivetti...

EDIT:
Tested the disks in Virtual PC. I can mount all of them...

2 disks does have a IBM format header and can be booted. One shows some diagnostics for a tap streamer and the other one says it could not find a "Computone board".
1 disk boots the OS on the HDD (due to the fact that the header part on the floppy is filled with NULL (00)).
1 disk hangs on boot and makes the cursor flickering everywhere on screen.
The rest of the disks just simply hangs on boot with a flashing cursor on column 1 line 2.

EDIT2:
If someone wants to test the disks... It could be downloaded HERE. Scans of the disks are also in the archive...

Last edited by MBaNL on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
I believe these are the Unix disks for a Olivetti LSX5000, from what I can find it's a multi 486 processor system from the 90s.

These would be awesome to have imaged and uploaded.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1 & Windows 95
compgeke wrote:
I believe these are the Unix disks for a Olivetti LSX5000, from what I can find it's a multi 486 processor system from the 90s.

These would be awesome to have imaged and uploaded.

Images are made (after several tries for 1 particular disc that would't image properly but now is) so technically it could be uploaded but first I want to know what it is and how complete the set is... see the starting post again for the EDIT part... tested all the disks but there is no way in installing anything at the moment.

About the LSX 5000... there is very little information on the system on the internet, the only realy interesting thing I could find is something with Pentium possibility's for the system.

EDIT: see EDIT2 in the starting post for a download link to the images + scans...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1 & Windows 95
The zipped images have been downloaded 10x by now and no one can say a useful thing about it?

Found some other disks which are labeled LSX5020 but these are probably copy's or so since they are not Olivetti branded. Still have to test if I can so something with them...

EDIT: DOWNLOAD the images of the disks mentioned above...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 pm 
Administrator

After doing some string searching I've found out the following....

The first one you posted, as your floppy scans says, it's UNIX System V/386 Release 4.0, and it's for the Olivetti LSX5000. The second set you posted seems to be UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 loaded from a MS-DOS 4.01-equipped user disk. The first disk seems to be a "LSX5020 User diskette - System Configuration Disk", I have not yet checked the rest. None of them boots in a regular VM, but that's no suprise considering the hardware needed.

Thanks for the 4.0 scans, I'll add it to BA. I am not sure about 3.2 tho since I don't know if it's complete or not. We need to dig a bit deeper for that one. We already have a System V-386 3.2 on BA and it's 46 floppies, so this one is most likely incomplete, perhaps it's only the LSX5020 user disk and driver disk.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1 & Windows 95
@mrpijey, good to know you've downloaded the the RAR files. No need to upload it to BA for me anymore...

Yesterday I've looked further in the box of disks where these came from but no other Olivetti, LSX, 5000, 5020, 5030 disks or whatsoever in there.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 am 

Olivetti made a line of unix minicomputers in the earlier 90s. These are some of the boot disks. Not sure what the MS branded one is. They were finicky machines. The 5030 was a quad-486 with EISA architecture. I do not recall if it was SCSI or IDE. Not heavy iron by any standards, but definitely big machines, and a quad 486 wad pretty impressive at it's time. It's rare to find them floating around and it's been years since seeing those disks. Thanks for the memories!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
FreeBSD
Unfortunately these diskets does not contain all Unix System V R4 images because no core SVR images and boot floppy, in these disk only network part and drivers (Disk 14 for Xenix and SCO Unix., Disk 12 and Disk 15 DOS utilities for maintenance Olivetti PC, other disk it is Unix System V Packages)
This is all stuff what you got ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:09 pm 

Favourite OS
Xenix
This is an interesting find!

Does anyone know whether the Olivetti LSX5000 machine could be booted with a MS-DOS floppy disk, i.e. was it PC-compatible?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:08 pm 
FTP Access

Nice find!

As others have already mentioned, these are part of Olivetti's version of AT&T System V Release 4 Version 2.1 UNIX. Unfortunately, it's not a complete set - as mrRadio has already mentioned.

The disks with no apparent filesystem on them are in SYSV Package Datastream format (as used by Solaris). You can manipulate them with the Heirloom Packaging Tools under Linux:
http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/pkgtools.html

If you want to play around with SVR4 UNIX, have a look at this:
http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=1878

This is Dell's version of the same OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
SCO Xenix 2.3.4
pepinho wrote:
This is an interesting find!

Does anyone know whether the Olivetti LSX5000 machine could be booted with a MS-DOS floppy disk, i.e. was it PC-compatible?

Here (written in italian) it says that it could run Unix, OS/2, DOS, Novell Netware, Windows and LAN Manager, depending on the model.
The 5030 could address 30 GB of ram :OD

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 pm 

Greets- I have an old Olivetti. I acquired it some yrs ago. I have never tried running it yet so don't know if it is even functional. I'm not sure but thimpk is a 6800 Unix box. Is in storage so can't get to it ATM. AFAICR, it was given to me by a friend. The monitor sits on the top of the console w/a pivot to adjust angle and has a keyboard and mouse. I took it as I was collecting Unix boxes. I got the AT&T 3B2 68000 box shortly after. If & when I can get 2 my storage again I might have to try your disk in it.

The light at the end of the tunnel-- is coming from a curtain of flame with a flaming image behind saying, "I am the Great and Powerful Oz" (with a small booth to one side).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Olivetti Unix System V R.4.0 - Got the disks but what is        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS 7.6
Oh, that's really neat. You should consider also sending this to Bitsavers and to the Internet Archive, if they're not already there. The Olivetti stuff can be pretty hard to find.

Top  Profile