how to change the taskbar-style

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
xyz
FTP Access

how to change the taskbar-style

Post by xyz »

does anybody know how to get the start button from the left site to the right site? like in winxp arabic

http://staff.bath.ac.uk/mpsmnkb/unit9/ArWinXP.jpg

Admin Edit: Image made a link since it doesn't seem to be working. Please use the BA Image uploader in future.

marxo
FTP Access

Post by marxo »

Translating arabic core files???
May our software be open-source, and our women closed-source.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

marxo wrote:Translating arabic core files???
No, because it also looks like that when using an Arabic/Hebrew MUI on top of an English XP. Maybe it's just a setting triggered in that language version (and if such a MUI pack is installed...)

strekship
FTP Access

Post by strekship »

You might be able to edit some of the DLLs to move the position of the button.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

It looks fake to me but that's just me. I'm not sure because I've never actually used a different language in XP. I've always used English as my language. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

mdogg wrote:It looks fake to me but that's just me. I'm not sure because I've never actually used a different language in XP. I've always used English as my language. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Windows versions localised into "Right-to-Left" languages such as Arabic and Hebrew have the Start button on the right side of the taskbar. See my Hebrew copy of Windows 2000:

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

This behavior started with localized versions of Windows 98 (95 just had the menus reversed, NT4 never had Hebrew/Arabic localized versions, AFAIK).

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

ppc_digger wrote:NT4 never had Hebrew/Arabic localized versions, AFAIK
There are such versions of NT4 but I don't know how much of the interface is reversed as I haven't installed them.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
ppc_digger wrote:NT4 never had Hebrew/Arabic localized versions, AFAIK
There are such versions of NT4 but I don't know how much of the interface is reversed as I haven't installed them.
I also have Arabic, Hebrew and Thai versions of NT4, but as I haven't installed them either, can't comment on that. It could be that the UI itself is in English but the system is able to deal with Arabic/... characters.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Small update, the Arabic NT4 I have here (from MSDN, has the SP3 slipstreamed) is "enabled", not localized; that doesn't tell us if there are completely localized editions of it.

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

empireum wrote:Small update, the Arabic NT4 I have here (from MSDN, has the SP3 slipstreamed) is "enabled", not localized; that doesn't tell us if there are completely localized editions of it.
From http://www.microsoft.com/israel/downloa ... rsion.mspx (translated from Hebrew):
The Hebrew-supporting client operating systems are divided into three groups:
1. 9x Systems (Windows 95,98,ME) - 9x systems came out in Hebrew Localized version, which is a fully translated version (Hebrew interface, Hebrew menus and Hebrew help files), and in Hebrew Enabled version, which supports Hebrew (allows writing Hebrew, but the interface, the menus and the help files are in English).
2. Windows NT 4.0 - This systems came out only in the Hebrew Enabled version.
3. Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems - These systems "canceled" the Enabled version. Therefore, in addition to the Hebrew Localized version, there is a multilingual English version, which supports Hebrew (English with Hebrew Support).
I think it's safe to assume the Arabic versions are the same.

As a side note, did anyone here ever see a Farsi version of Windows?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

ppc_digger wrote:As a side note, did anyone here ever see a Farsi version of Windows?
I have at least a Farsi version of Windows 3.1 but I can only guess that it is the localized version because the install fails when it's supposed to switch into graphical mode and all I get is a garbled screen.

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

empireum wrote:
ppc_digger wrote:As a side note, did anyone here ever see a Farsi version of Windows?
I have at least a Farsi version of Windows 3.1 but I can only guess that it is the localized version because the install fails when it's supposed to switch into graphical mode and all I get is a garbled screen.
The Hebrew versions used to do that when a DOS Hebrew codepage wasn't loaded. Try loading codepage 864.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

empireum wrote:I have at least a Farsi version of Windows 3.1 but I can only guess that it is the localized version because the install fails when it's supposed to switch into graphical mode and all I get is a garbled screen.
Yeah, only Windows 3.1 seems to have been localized into Farsi, and I'm having problems with installing it as well. I found out that it's because there's something wrong with the GDI.EXE file. I trired replacing it with the one from the Arabic version, but the characters displayed were all wrong, but it is localized completely, pretty much like the Arabic and Hebrew versions. Too bad it's very difficult, if not even impossible, to find a properly working GDI.EXE file for it.

- ppc_digger: My attempt to install the Farsi Windows 3.1 was in the same Virtual Machine, into which I successfully installed the Hebrew Windows 3.1 before, and without the appropriate code page loaded.

However, I am now going to try installing the Farsi Windows 3.1 under MS-DOS 5.00 with Arabic support. I'm going to report the results of it here.
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.