BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 7h, 55m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5532MB of 10826MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: how to change the taskbar-style        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WfW 3.11
does anybody know how to get the start button from the left site to the right site? like in winxp arabic

http://staff.bath.ac.uk/mpsmnkb/unit9/ArWinXP.jpg

Admin Edit: Image made a link since it doesn't seem to be working. Please use the BA Image uploader in future.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Lupus Project
Translating arabic core files???

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:22 am 
Donator

marxo wrote:
Translating arabic core files???

No, because it also looks like that when using an Arabic/Hebrew MUI on top of an English XP. Maybe it's just a setting triggered in that language version (and if such a MUI pack is installed...)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:25 pm 
FTP Access

You might be able to edit some of the DLLs to move the position of the button.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:38 am 
Donator

It looks fake to me but that's just me. I'm not sure because I've never actually used a different language in XP. I've always used English as my language. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:35 pm 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
It looks fake to me but that's just me. I'm not sure because I've never actually used a different language in XP. I've always used English as my language. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Windows versions localised into "Right-to-Left" languages such as Arabic and Hebrew have the Start button on the right side of the taskbar. See my Hebrew copy of Windows 2000:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:42 am 
Donator

This behavior started with localized versions of Windows 98 (95 just had the menus reversed, NT4 never had Hebrew/Arabic localized versions, AFAIK).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 am 
FTP Access

ppc_digger wrote:
NT4 never had Hebrew/Arabic localized versions, AFAIK

There are such versions of NT4 but I don't know how much of the interface is reversed as I haven't installed them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
ppc_digger wrote:
NT4 never had Hebrew/Arabic localized versions, AFAIK

There are such versions of NT4 but I don't know how much of the interface is reversed as I haven't installed them.

I also have Arabic, Hebrew and Thai versions of NT4, but as I haven't installed them either, can't comment on that. It could be that the UI itself is in English but the system is able to deal with Arabic/... characters.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 pm 
Donator

Small update, the Arabic NT4 I have here (from MSDN, has the SP3 slipstreamed) is "enabled", not localized; that doesn't tell us if there are completely localized editions of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:39 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:
Small update, the Arabic NT4 I have here (from MSDN, has the SP3 slipstreamed) is "enabled", not localized; that doesn't tell us if there are completely localized editions of it.

From http://www.microsoft.com/israel/downloa ... rsion.mspx (translated from Hebrew):
Quote:
The Hebrew-supporting client operating systems are divided into three groups:
1. 9x Systems (Windows 95,98,ME) - 9x systems came out in Hebrew Localized version, which is a fully translated version (Hebrew interface, Hebrew menus and Hebrew help files), and in Hebrew Enabled version, which supports Hebrew (allows writing Hebrew, but the interface, the menus and the help files are in English).
2. Windows NT 4.0 - This systems came out only in the Hebrew Enabled version.
3. Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems - These systems "canceled" the Enabled version. Therefore, in addition to the Hebrew Localized version, there is a multilingual English version, which supports Hebrew (English with Hebrew Support).

I think it's safe to assume the Arabic versions are the same.

As a side note, did anyone here ever see a Farsi version of Windows?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:13 pm 
Donator

ppc_digger wrote:

I have at least a Farsi version of Windows 3.1 but I can only guess that it is the localized version because the install fails when it's supposed to switch into graphical mode and all I get is a garbled screen.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:42 pm 
Donator

empireum wrote:
ppc_digger wrote:

I have at least a Farsi version of Windows 3.1 but I can only guess that it is the localized version because the install fails when it's supposed to switch into graphical mode and all I get is a garbled screen.

The Hebrew versions used to do that when a DOS Hebrew codepage wasn't loaded. Try loading codepage 864.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:19 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
empireum wrote:

Yeah, only Windows 3.1 seems to have been localized into Farsi, and I'm having problems with installing it as well. I found out that it's because there's something wrong with the GDI.EXE file. I trired replacing it with the one from the Arabic version, but the characters displayed were all wrong, but it is localized completely, pretty much like the Arabic and Hebrew versions. Too bad it's very difficult, if not even impossible, to find a properly working GDI.EXE file for it. :(

- ppc_digger: My attempt to install the Farsi Windows 3.1 was in the same Virtual Machine, into which I successfully installed the Hebrew Windows 3.1 before, and without the appropriate code page loaded.

However, I am now going to try installing the Farsi Windows 3.1 under MS-DOS 5.00 with Arabic support. I'm going to report the results of it here. ;)

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM