BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 16h, 50m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 5701MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Beryl not working!        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Posts
321

Location
Eggmanland/Toronto

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
OK, i recently installed Sabayon Linux in a VM, and Beryl is installed, but if i click on the beryl manager to switch to Beryl, the screen flickers then when i check it says it is on the kdwm. Also when i am installing vmware tools, it asks me where rc0.d is, and i have no clue where, could someone give me the directory?

_________________
I am The Eggman! -The Doctor
Like Pictures? Bored? Check out some Photography and "Like" it! Check it out here!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:52 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Gentoo's init system doesn't use these directories.
Look here how to fool the VMware Tools installer: http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/2006/03/install-vmware-tools-in-gentoo-vm.html

PS: I'm not sure if VMware's emulated graphics adapter meets Beryl's requirements.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:34 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:45 am

Posts
40

Location
New Zealand
I agree with empireum, I doubt that any virtual machine can handle the graphics requirements (probably Pixel Shader v2.0)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:35 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
Thirded, VMs don't have spectacular graphics acceleration, and they certainly need it for Beryl. I say go native, install Ubuntu, install Beryl using the package manager (find Beryl in the list, click install) and try it that way. It'll be a much smoother experience hopefully. Ubuntu is also a 700MB CD.

If you prefer GNOME to KDE (if you don't know what they are, search for them in Google images) then choose Ubuntu, if you prefer KDE then go for Kubuntu. They're both 700MB CDs and are both, to my knowledge, capable of running Beryl without a problem. I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 and run Beryl on it with no problems whatsoever, and I'm a fairly noobish Linux user myself :). Make sure you've installed your graphics drivers correctly though.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:24 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
moonlit wrote:
Thirded, VMs don't have spectacular graphics acceleration, and they certainly need it for Beryl. I say go native, install Ubuntu, install Beryl using the package manager (find Beryl in the list, click install) and try it that way. It'll be a much smoother experience hopefully. Ubuntu is also a 700MB CD.

If you prefer GNOME to KDE (if you don't know what they are, search for them in Google images) then choose Ubuntu, if you prefer KDE then go for Kubuntu. They're both 700MB CDs and are both, to my knowledge, capable of running Beryl without a problem. I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 and run Beryl on it with no problems whatsoever, and I'm a fairly noobish Linux user myself :). Make sure you've installed your graphics drivers correctly though.

A question: Why do you recommend (K)Ubuntu? He already has the 700MB CD edition of SabayonLinux installed which is easy to install as well and features the powerful Gentoo base. He also already has Beryl installed. So why should he switch to another distro? (Sorry, Gentoo user here, just had to mention this.)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:27 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
Well I can't honestly say I've tried SabayonLinux but the reason I suggested *buntu is because I know it's easy to install graphics drivers and Beryl installs very easily... I don't know what driver support is like in Sabayon. Ubuntu has a large support base in the community too, so if you have a problem someone's probably had the same problem before.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:24 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
moonlit wrote:
Well I can't honestly say I've tried SabayonLinux but the reason I suggested *buntu is because I know it's easy to install graphics drivers and Beryl installs very easily... I don't know what driver support is like in Sabayon. Ubuntu has a large support base in the community too, so if you have a problem someone's probably had the same problem before.

SabayonLinux is easy to install as well. Beryl also installs easily, can't say anything about the graphics drivers though. Driver support and community ambition is great on Sabayon too because it's based on Gentoo, and this is one of the most well documented distros out there.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:16 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
I might have to look in to that at some point then, I always thought it was quite a way down the "ease of use" list... I keep going in and out of phases where I'm interested in Linux and not so much so I'm usually a little behind the times... good luck to the OP though whichever distro he uses :D


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:59 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:10 am

Posts
53
i have the latest Sabayon build. And it has Compiz pre-installed. Isen't that like beryl also?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:56 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
UltraMan wrote:
i have the latest Sabayon build. And it has Compiz pre-installed. Isen't that like beryl also?

Yes, it's also a compositing manager.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:06 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
I've heard Compiz-Fusion is good but I've not yet tried it, might wanna take a look at that too.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:19 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
moonlit wrote:
I've heard Compiz-Fusion is good but I've not yet tried it, might wanna take a look at that too.

Compiz Fusion is the newest compositing manager and to be included in Ubuntu 7.10; it's already present in the latest SabayonLinux release. It has the tendency to be a bit more unstable than Beryl/Compiz, though.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:38 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
Ooh, didn't know it was gonna be in Ubuntu 7.10... might be interesting to see it in action. :)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:12 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
moonlit wrote:
Ooh, didn't know it was gonna be in Ubuntu 7.10... might be interesting to see it in action. :)

AFAIK, they've not yet decided whether it'll be included or not. You can always manually install it from the repositories, though.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:46 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Posts
514
I'd try it now, but I just uninstalled 7.04 :(


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:09 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
moonlit wrote:
I'd try it now, but I just uninstalled 7.04 :(

Then get yourself the latest 7.10 "alpha" (Tribe 5) and start having fun. :lol: BTW, this is going slightly off-topic... :wink: I suppose Compiz Fusion is available in the Universe repository.


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS