BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 3h, 21m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 2092MB of 5253MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: FreeBSD, Beryl and vm, need help.        Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Ok, i am a noob at *nix stuff, so is it possible to run Beryl on Freebsd? I am running it on a Virtual Machine, and recently heard about Beryl. I am running the KDE desktop currently, with KDM at login.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:05 am 
Donator

It is possible to run Beryl on FreeBSD, yes, but probably not in a VM as the emulated graphics adapter will probably have problems with it. That being said, I don't know that for sure, I could just imagine it.

But, allow me one question: Why don't you start out with Linux if you want Beryl? That is not to say I dislike FreeBSD, for god's sake, no. It's just Beryl should be substantially easier to set up on Linux than on *BSD AFAIK.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
1 If i download it (linux) i need a version that will be under ~3.5GB iso and will install under ~4.1GB (my laptop needs more hdd space, my other computer has 1MB of video memory)

And 2 questions, 1, besides yod' m 3d, is there another thing similar?
2, Can i extend the video mem on the other computer? Its a Dell Inspiron 2200 and i cant figure out the graphics card ot gpu. the bios says it only has 1 MB.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:34 am 
Donator

Dr Eggman wrote:
1 If i download it (linux) i need a version that will be under ~3.5GB iso and will install under ~4.1GB (my laptop needs more hdd space, my other computer has 1MB of video memory)

And 2 questions, 1, besides yod' m 3d, is there another thing similar?
2, Can i extend the video mem on the other computer? Its a Dell Inspiron 2200 and i cant figure out the graphics card ot gpu. the bios says it only has 1 MB.

1. Ubuntu, for instance, is a 700MB ISO and installs in under 2GB. Setting up Beryl is very easy on 7.04 or 7.10. Besides, there are plenty of distros (such as Debian) which are very small if set up accordingly and Beryl can also be set up. Debian can be installed in less than 1GB, for instance.
2. Extending the video memory on a separate GPU is often impossible, but if your machine has an on-board GPU sharing its memory with the system RAM, you can usually set the amount of memory it uses in the BIOS. Some stupid on-board GPUs allocate only 1MB by themselves though and let the Windows driver allocate the actual amount they take (8MB, 16MB or whatever). On other OSes, though, you'll be stuck with 1MB – if your system has such a GPU.

Top  Profile