changing boot screens

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
dirtwarrior
FTP Access

changing boot screens

Post by dirtwarrior »

I want to change the boot screen and icons in windows 2000. I would like to change it where windows is installed the new things are installed also. The problem is I have never done it before and really dont know to do it.
Can someone give me a step by step tutorial, please?

sp4rkbr
FTP Access

Post by sp4rkbr »

I found this

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-9.html

Maybe it can help.

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

I saw that before. This only works after windows is installed. But thanks for looking.
I wanted it to install while windows is installing.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Im not quite sure about exactly what you want but i think you mean you want to change it from installation. In which case, you would:

1. Copy the contents of the CD to somewhere you can edit the files, or edit the ISO using a utility like UltraISO and extract the NTOSKRNL.EX_ file in the i386 folder. Then use the expand command in the command line to extract it into NTOSKRNL.EXE. This is the file described in the tutorial above that you would edit.
You use the expand command like:

Code: Select all

expand x:\NTOSKRNL.EX_ x:\NTOSKRNL.EXE
2. To change icons, most are contained within shell32.dll, which is contained within SHELL32.DL_ in the i386 directory of the CD. Again use the expand command, and edit the icons using ResHacker and an icon editing tool.

3. Then use the makecab command at the command line to convert your files back into compressed cab files.
This is done like this:

makecab x:\NTOSKRNL.EXE x:\NTOSKRNL.EX_
If it asks, overwrite the existing file.

4. Place these files back with the others on a new CD or insert the back into the ISO using UltraISO and save.[/code]

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

Are you sure that it's makecab? I believe that .??_ files are expanded with EXPAND.exe (like you said) and compressed with COMPRESS.exe. If you don't have those, there's a compatible free version, supposedly, at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/mscompress.htm. Can't vouch for that, as I haven't tried it.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

i think its compress in some versions of windows, but in Windows XP, which is what i was using, its makecab...

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

After compressing the files (I believe it's indeed the makecab utility)), don't forget to apply the modifype tool (available for download) on the file, otherwise, Windows setup may complain about the file and refuse to copy it.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

empireum wrote:After compressing the files (I believe it's indeed the makecab utility)), don't forget to apply the modifype tool (available for download) on the file, otherwise, Windows setup may complain about the file and refuse to copy it.
I've never had to do this before, but then again i was doing Longhorn 3718 Ultimate (my own project, not public), so im not sure about all windows.

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

Yeah its modifype. How do you do it? Is there an easier way instead of command line?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

dirtwarrior wrote:Yeah its modifype. How do you do it? Is there an easier way instead of command line?
Before (I was wrong on that one, sorry) compressing with makecab, use it like this (replace filename, of course):

modifype ntoskrnl.exe -c
Don't know what you mean with an easier way, this is easy, isn't it?

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

Should be. I just never did it before. I thought I could just right the mouse and presto it is done

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

I tried it with a comand line. It says file not found

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

dirtwarrior wrote:I tried it with a comand line. It says file not found
You need to download modifype first and put it into your Windows\system32 directory so it's in the path.

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

I did thanks

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

dirtwarrior wrote:I tried it with a comand line. It says file not found
Did you read the post I made at Vipertech regarding tools I use during
the modding of an OS...
I posted a download link to an app that does exactly what modifype does,
only it does it from the right click menu entry, no command line in a
dos box needed...

EDIT::
Nevermind, I re-posted them HERE for you

Windows OCmanage V2

Post by Windows OCmanage V2 »

repack driver.cab

fusi0n
FTP Access

Post by fusi0n »

I suggest you try finding unattented install tutorials. These will help you and solve any questions you might have.

aimfiend

Post by aimfiend »

according to my exp
i got 3 resolves for ya
1. reshack ntoskrnl.exe ,modifype -c , and repack it back into ur disk
2. make new ntosboot.exe with booglogo.exe , add parameter to ur boot.ini redirect the kernel to newone
3. add parameter /noguboot and place boot.bmp to ur %windir%, that is simple way but without progressbar