BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 0h, 24m | CPU: 76% | MEM: 5558MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Install Help for OS/2 WARP............no floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:09 am 
FTP Access

I am dying to install OS/2 warp and I come 2 find out I need 2 make 3 install Discs via floppy and I dont have I mean I guess I could spend 40 bucks on a USB one but I wont so is there a WORKAROUND for this????

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I really doubt it. Maybe you can try a later version of OS/2 that is supplied through a single ISO?

Or... I haven't tried this, but you can try Microsoft's Virtual PC, create a new virtual PC, and "mount" the first floppy via a menu command and hope that it runs correctly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 pm 
FTP Access

nope. the os/2 warp 4 required you to make a few disks, if I remember right. you can try eComStation, which is basically an updated version of os/2. 9ecs 1 would be os/2 5, in a sense)

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 pm 
FTP Access

This is a generic process for any multi-floppy install:
  1. Remove the target HDD and place it in a PC that has VirtualPC or VMWare installed (or boot from a Live CD on the target PC); using an external USB/Firewire enclosure is helpful here.
  2. Create a new virtual PC and use the physical target HDD as the first drive in the virtual PC (you should get a warning: this is correct, but make sure it's the right drive). Disable any unnecessary virtual hardware devices that may conflict with installation or lead to drivers being automatically configured/installed (e.g. network card).
  3. Boot the virtual PC with the first floppy mounted and install, swapping disks as normal. Make sure not to pick any drivers that you don't have to (e.g. don't pick any video or sound drivers yet).
  4. Once the installer restarts the virtual PC, immediately shut it down (before the OS boots). Hope and pray this means hardware detection hasn't run yet, or that you can reconfigure anything that you need to once the system boots up.
  5. Remove the target HDD and place it into the target PC. Boot.

Basically, your main problem is ensuring that the OS doesn't get too comfortable with the virtual PC's hardware. Note that since it's OS/2, you might be able to get away with booting to DOS w/ MSCDEX drivers and running setup from there (or maybe not?).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:18 pm 
Donator

rawr wrote:
Basically, your main problem is ensuring that the OS doesn't get too comfortable with the virtual PC's hardware. Note that since it's OS/2, you might be able to get away with booting to DOS w/ MSCDEX drivers and running setup from there (or maybe not?).

Won't work. The setup program is a native OS/2 application, thus, a mini-OS/2 needs to be booted from the two floppies in order to perform the install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:57 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Won't work. The setup program is a native OS/2 application, thus, a mini-OS/2 needs to be booted from the two floppies in order to perform the install.

Thought as much, was hoping there would be a DOS compatible setup given the IBM/MS legacy at the time; not sure how easy a mini-OS/2 would be. How about an older OS/2 boot disk for an environment that fits on one floppy? Could use that as the boot image for a CD, and then proceed to run the CD setup.

Top  Profile