BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 11h, 7m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 2657MB of 4289MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: A Decent Torrent Application In Linux        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:10 pm 
I have been using Ubuntu Linux for about 3 years now as my main Operating System and for that time I have been searchin for a decent Torrent application. Recently I think I have found my fix in Transmission. This application was initially created for OS X but it carried over to linux very well, and it is by far the cleanest, most efficent torrent application I am yet to find for Linux, if anyone else has any other applications that you think work better please post below.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:41 pm 
Donator

I've been using Azureus for years, on both Windows and Linux (being a Java application, it works just about everywhere). I find it highly customizable, even though it's a little heavy (it couldn't be that heavy as it worked perfectly fine on my old Palomino).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:14 pm 
Donator

I use Azureus as well, although it is indeed a bit heavy. But foir the features it has, I am willing to accept that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:41 am 
yeah, the reason I'm siding with Transmission with opposition to Azuerus is that I am running all of my torrents off of an old Pentium 3 server box with 512 MB of RAM and has trouble handling a full featured GNOME Desktop not even counting how hard it is to run a heaving program, such as Azuerus based in Java.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:05 am 
Donator

Erm... Are you saying you run a full-blown GNOME desktop on a server? Why the hell would you do that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:34 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
empireum wrote:
Erm... Are you saying you run a full-blown GNOME desktop on a server? Why the hell would you do that?

Because he can? :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:45 am 
Donator

Yes, he can, but it would make no sense :)
It doesn't make sense to run Aero or Luna on a Windows server either.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Uh...        Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:26 am 
Donator

My main machine is a P3 800 w/ 512 MB of ram, and Azuerus runs FINE. As a matter of fact, it terms of just about every kind of resource, Firefox is much mroe of a hog.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 am 
I really like Enhanced CTorrent. It is a pure console-client and therefore useable in nearly any environment. For Gentoo-Users it is available via Portage. =)

/edit: Grammar ... in my first posting. :(

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:15 pm 
FTP Access

I too, use azureus. but before I started using azureus, I used ktorrent

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:39 pm 
FTP Access

I use Azurues
mainly because I can easily start a torrent in Linux, reboot into windows, with azurues autostarting in both, so it rarely stops...
plus it's not THAT resource intensive... I have 4 plugins and average seeding 5-20 torrents and downloading 1-3.... never goes over 128 MB of ram, nor 3% CPU... and has WAY more features
Plus I made Azurues Vuze a portable app for my flash drive

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:06 pm 
Donator

spaceship9 wrote:
I use Azurues
mainly because I can easily start a torrent in Linux, reboot into windows, with azurues autostarting in both, so it rarely stops...

Do you force rechecks all the time? Because if you don't, it will redownload parts and upload corrupted data (which will probably make the tracker ban you).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:44 am 
FTP Access

never get any of that...
always works fine, no errors ever
I actually did run a test tracker once to test for those things, nope
I know i SHOULD be getting those errors, but i'm not
and i'm not complaining either

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:19 am 
FTP Access

Probably saves the data in the Azureus directory so it knows what the progress is at.

I hear that uTorrent works with Wine or Cedega

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:17 am 
FTP Access

I use rTorrent.
It is a CLI application but since i run my download on a old Pentium MMX running a very light version of Gentoo, i love it because it doesn't trigger the Linux kernel's OutOfMemory Process Killer :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:43 pm 
I've tried kTorrent and Azureus. Using azureus now. I compleatly dislike kTorrent becouse of:
1) Very small download speed - 3 times slower on same torrent then azureus.
2) Less stable then Azureus. KTorrent runs for 3-4 days, then crashs, Azureus can run for weeks.
3) More CPU usage. It uses around 4% of CPU per Torrent on my 2-nd Box - Athlon XP 1800+@1150MHz (11.5*100 instead of 11.5*133) and when you have 10 torrents in parallel it becomes rather annoying.
4) Some bugs in Web Interface - KTorrent have some minor but Annoying bugs in Web I-face, Azureus have good plugins with web-iface.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:09 pm 
FTP Access

thenico wrote:
I use rTorrent.
It is a CLI application but since i run my download on a old Pentium MMX running a very light version of Gentoo, i love it because it doesn't trigger the Linux kernel's OutOfMemory Process Killer :)

I also use rtorrent. Beats every other torrent app I've tried, ktorrent among others.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: i'll sum up what i know        Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:14 am 
There's a fair number of torrent clients for *nix, some are GUI, some are command line, some are very exotic and many are no longer developed. The popular ones seem to be

* Azureus - It's java, so it runs on everything, it's also a huge memory hog and bit of a CPU eater, but it's the client I use. It supports all sorts of things, including protocol encryption

* Ktorrent - Comes with KDE, needs qt, seems to be fast and slick, not teeming with all the features of Azureus though. Has protocol encryption.

* rtorrent - Command line, written in C, very, very fast. Has protocol encryption, downside... it's command line and can be a bit difficult to use. It's probably your best bet if you have a dedicated server box you want to download your torrents on though.

* the Mainline torrent client - Python, a bit slow, doesn't fully support protocol encryption.

You might want to check out Wikipedia's page on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent_client

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:19 pm 
how abt aria2
it is fully capable of
HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/BitTorrent

http://aria2.sourceforge.net/

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:53 pm 
When i first started using bittorrent I used Azureus and loved it when i switched over to linux though I really started to notice that it was really resource intensive compared to the rest. So I tried a lot of others. The one I finally decided on after quite a while of looking is torrentflux which is a completely web based gui for BitTornado I like it because you can throw it on almost any linux webhost and it will work with out any install. great for web seeding files or adding files to download if you cant use bittorrent on the pc you are currently on (at work or school). But it also takes very little resources since the gui is all web based.

I have also started using Deluge which is a very feature rich bittorrent client for linux. It is still in beta and doesn't have all the features that Azureus has but it uses about 1/3 the resources that azureus was using on my PC and is very stable.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:08 pm 
I'd recommend Deluge:

http://deluge-torrent.org/

No Java, no Wine required, which is always a plus. I have found the latest version (0.5.5) to be very stable, up and running on one of my linux boxes for several weeks without any issues. Supports encryption too, which is always good. :)