Two copies of FreeBSD on one partition (not slice)?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
empireum
Donator

Two copies of FreeBSD on one partition (not slice)?

Post by empireum »

Hello,

since I couldn't find a definite answer on that question after some googling, I thought I'd ask here, maybe someone can give me a hint.

The thing is: One of my boxes has (the normal maximum of) four primary partitions on the HD, one with Windows, one with BeOS, one that is currently unused and one big extended partition with several logical partitions where I have several Linux partitions and distros (Debian, Slackware, etc.). More primary partitions aren't possible.

What I want to do is: install two copies of FreeBSD (with a shared swap slice, if possible) within that single primary partition. On different slices, of course. Does somebody know if that is safely doable before I go on and get myself into deep trouble?

Thanks in advance

psiren
FTP Access

Post by psiren »

I'm a keen BSD'er myself (Free, Net, Open - pick one!) but haven't ever seen this done. I don't think it'd be possible. But then again - why would you want two different copies of FreeBSD?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

These two copies would be either FreeBSD 6.2 and 7.0 or FreeBSD 6.2 and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD 6.2.

psiren
FTP Access

Post by psiren »

Oh well... in that case, my first reaction would be no! But, try posting to the FreeBSD mailing list. There's bound to be someone that's tried it before. Info on the various lists are here

Or search the mailing list archive here

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Thanks – I'll do that. Or maybe I'll just try it in a VM and tell how it goes.

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

reccomend you look elsewhere for this functionality... If you could explain the situation more then we maybe able to give you an ultanative solution.. Ofcourse you can have both a x64 and 32bit kernel on the same install, if thats the problem...
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

No. This is not what I want. I want to have two completely separated installs within the same partition but on different "subpartitions" (I know this is not how they're called, but it helps to explain better). And I think I've already described the problem as best as I could...