BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 3h, 11m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 1843MB of 3037MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: uh-oh        Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:33 pm 
FTP Access

Hello.
Im not exactly sure what happened, but I need help fast. I was updating my sound drivers from realtek (btw, I'm using Ubuntu Fiesty) and my computer froze.
Now when I log in, there is an error and it logs back out. good thing I installed kde a while back or else I don't know what would of happen. but basically, any session option having to do with gnome will crash with the same error message about ALSA (can't recall what it is ATM) and when I load up in KDE, I am completely not use to it and it has a... busy look to it. Also my sound don't work now.
I was wondering if there was an easy way to repair this problem as I put 2 weeks into this and if I just try to install ubuntu over it, that would wipe EVERYTHING. If it is not possible (which, I would believe so is more than getting my sound back, and there is a possibility in that) maybe someone could give me some good advice on KDE. Of course, Ill look around it myself as the last time I tried it, I barely scratched the surface ( but messed up my video drivers, fixed now)

There are also a few general questions I have for ubuntu:

1) My TV tuner, leadtek winfast TV Global Expert, worked out of the box right away (take that, windows) but I have no sound. any help?

2)since mac os x is loosely based off of BSD, is it possible to run mac apps on linux, or a compatibility layer?

3)what about HP-UX apps? Solaris?

4)can I covert NTFS partitions to ext2 or ext3 without losing any data?

also Sorry for being so unorganized on this topic.

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm 
Donator

To some of your questions:

2) No. At least no GUI programs as they rely on the Aqua layer. And most of the non-GUI programs are open-source and available for any *nix anyway.

3) Maybe, I'm not sure, but I tend to say no. They need to be x86 apps in the first place, and I don't think HP-UX even runs on x86.

4) With delivered tools, no. Try if PartitionMagic or something else supports this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: uh-oh        Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 am 
FTP Access

ToastyCheesy wrote:
1) My TV tuner, leadtek winfast TV Global Expert, worked out of the box right away (take that, windows) but I have no sound. any help?

2)since mac os x is loosely based off of BSD, is it possible to run mac apps on linux, or a compatibility layer?

3)what about HP-UX apps? Solaris?

4)can I covert NTFS partitions to ext2 or ext3 without losing any data?

also Sorry for being so unorganized on this topic.

I'll note that KDE has nothing to do with the problem (probably)
KDE is just a window manager, and unlike XP and explorer, if it crashes, the OS still runs (Abeit in command prompt)... KDE just "makes" the windows you see.... and of course the X Windows system.

1.) Perhaps your cards have opensource equivelants, or perhaps Linux drivers were released in addtion to windows... but always do a decent google on a driver before you install it. Since linux is opensource, someone may have found the same glitch as you and make a quick fix.

2.) Yes you can run mac, windows and basically everything in different emulators.. just google or use sourceforge. Natively the answer is no though, because though mac is based on BSD and looks like Gnome, its really different now...

3.) see above

4.) Possibly, however if you google "Ubuntu Fiesty NTFS support" (without quotes) you can find your answer... Ubuntu can support read/write of NTFS now, how ever you'll need to use the command prompt a little... but don't be scared of the command prompt... you'll be able to find exactly what you need to type... Fedora 6 natively supports NTFS

probably not much of help... but i'd like to think i helped a little

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Disk Space/Permissions        Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:47 am 
Donator

You will find a LOT of software doesn't work (like XDM) if your disk is full, or it can't write anywhere.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 pm 
FTP Access

yeah, I must have been really tired as I fixed my problem by re running my souncard files outside of GNOME. had to spend the last few hours figuring out what went wrong with Ndiswrapper.

1)still no luck on the sound, but this is the most Ive seen this card ever work.

2) so if there is a way to wrap the aqua layer, they would work, somewhat?

3)ah, ok. I tried running a solaris binary (.sol) and it wouldn't work.

4) I, also figured this out from downloading a few tools from apt

yes, I know kde isnt part of linux, its a shell. thats why I can ave multiple shells at the same time.

My hdd isnt full its about 60 GB out of 320 GB

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:52 am 
Donator

Currently, there's no way to run Mac OS X GUI apps natively on Linux. You'd have to use an emulator. I wouldn't call things like KDE a shell. It's a window manager or a desktop environment. The shell is the thing like bash, tcsh, etc. you see when opening a terminal window or quitting X11.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:05 am 
FTP Access

yeah, I mean't windows manager. I must have typed out as shell as I knew it was less to type

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM