BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 1h, 31m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 5743MB of 11073MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: went back to linux        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:18 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
I went back to linux. Xandrow 4.0 home pro to be exact. I got a resident virus on windows so went back to linux. I might even stay with linux if they had a dvd burning software as good as nero.


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:02 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Speaking of a burning app, have you looked at K3b and GnomeBaker? (Don't know Xandros, so no idea if they offer it, but these are pretty much standard apps).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:07 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts
1524

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
dirtwarrior wrote:
I went back to linux. Xandrow 4.0 home pro to be exact. I got a resident virus on windows so went back to linux. I might even stay with linux if they had a dvd burning software as good as nero.

I think there is a Nero version for linux, not sure though

_________________
Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
Thanx guys I will check it out.


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:23 pm 
Reply with quote
dirtwarrior wrote:
I went back to linux. Xandrow 4.0 home pro to be exact. I got a resident virus on windows so went back to linux. I might even stay with linux if they had a dvd burning software as good as nero.

I also just recently had my system totally crash where even a re install
wouldn't fix it.
I've had to browse the web & recover files using an XP live CD made by
another member from here.
Thank goodness for live Cd's :)
Most of the file names in the system32 folder were a garbled mess.
If it was a virus, AVG didn't detect it, typically.


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:02 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
Aztech wrote:
dirtwarrior wrote:
I went back to linux. Xandrow 4.0 home pro to be exact. I got a resident virus on windows so went back to linux. I might even stay with linux if they had a dvd burning software as good as nero.

I also just recently had my system totally crash where even a re install
wouldn't fix it.
I've had to browse the web & recover files using an XP live CD made by
another member from here.
Thank goodness for live Cd's :)
Most of the file names in the system32 folder were a garbled mess.
If it was a virus, AVG didn't detect it, typically.


This sounds like a cd I could use. What is it called?


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:11 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
I think it's on the server and called "Windows PE Ultimate Edition" or something like that.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:53 pm 
Reply with quote
dirtwarrior wrote:
Aztech wrote:
dirtwarrior wrote:
I went back to linux. Xandrow 4.0 home pro to be exact. I got a resident virus on windows so went back to linux. I might even stay with linux if they had a dvd burning software as good as nero.

I also just recently had my system totally crash where even a re install
wouldn't fix it.
I've had to browse the web & recover files using an XP live CD made by
another member from here.
Thank goodness for live Cd's :)
Most of the file names in the system32 folder were a garbled mess.
If it was a virus, AVG didn't detect it, typically.


This sounds like a cd I could use. What is it called?


Not sure what it was originally named, but the iso label itself is
VRMPLIVE_EN , It's 604mb all up in size, I got it from ms_scotlands
server when I was a member on osba, it has a ton of recovery software
& other utilities that make it an iso good enough to not even bother with
a proper installation.
Uses the original XP explorer as it's shell.

empireum wrote:
I think it's on the server and called "Windows PE Ultimate Edition" or something like that.

Could be, if it has a cool lake & mountain scene as it's default wallpaper.


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:08 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Aztech wrote:
empireum wrote:
I think it's on the server and called "Windows PE Ultimate Edition" or something like that.

Could be, if it has a cool lake & mountain scene as it's default wallpaper.

Hmm, size is 618MB, label is WINPE, and it has ~200 wallpapers included, but I don't know which is the default. So it sounds like the one on the server is not the one you're referring to.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:31 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Posts
1004

Location
USA
Would it be possible for you to iso and upload the VRMPLIVE_EN cd to andy's server?

_________________
Old-Computer
BetaArchive VIP | Ex-OSBA Member


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:41 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
I am not entirely sure, but this could be warez according to our rules. (It's based on a RTM version of XP). It's definately if it contains commercial apps.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 am

Posts
201

Location
USA
well, as far as i know, there isn't a bootable XP, in the standard sense
there IS bartPE, but that is legal....
though the new "WinPE 2.0" is great... based on the liveCD that vista uses

_________________
Image

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime


Image
include email


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:28 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
BartPE is legal, yes, but only if you use it to create your own WinPE-like "live CD". I am not sure about using one made by someone else.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:52 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 am

Posts
201

Location
USA
no, using someone else's is illegal, as it uses the other person's key (As far as i know)...

_________________
Image

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime


Image
include email


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:17 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:44 am

Posts
98

Location
Port Orchard, WA
NeroLINUX 2 is worth skipping bacause of its lack of...Nero.
But nero has the BETA version of NeroLINUX 3 that I have been running and it works great, so check that out!


Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:07 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
Aztech wrote:
dirtwarrior wrote:
Aztech wrote:
dirtwarrior wrote:
I went back to linux. Xandrow 4.0 home pro to be exact. I got a resident virus on windows so went back to linux. I might even stay with linux if they had a dvd burning software as good as nero.

I also just recently had my system totally crash where even a re install
wouldn't fix it.
I've had to browse the web & recover files using an XP live CD made by
another member from here.
Thank goodness for live Cd's :)
Most of the file names in the system32 folder were a garbled mess.
If it was a virus, AVG didn't detect it, typically.


This sounds like a cd I could use. What is it called?


Not sure what it was originally named, but the iso label itself is
VRMPLIVE_EN , It's 604mb all up in size, I got it from ms_scotlands
server when I was a member on osba, it has a ton of recovery software
& other utilities that make it an iso good enough to not even bother with
a proper installation.
Uses the original XP explorer as it's shell.

empireum wrote:
I think it's on the server and called "Windows PE Ultimate Edition" or something like that.

Could be, if it has a cool lake & mountain scene as it's default wallpaper.


If someone could up this one. I really dont think it is warez since it cant be installed


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:21 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Posts
70
dirtwarrior wrote:
If someone could up this one. I really dont think it is warez since it cant be installed

that rule doesnt apply dude - you can can portable apps such as nero, tuu2007 via thinstall or similar and you dont have to install them!
it does not need a product key as far as im aware as all you need is your CD image at no point does it ask for a key

(hello guys im new!!)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: went back to linux        Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:47 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
alisdair wrote:
dirtwarrior wrote:
If someone could up this one. I really dont think it is warez since it cant be installed

that rule doesnt apply dude - you can can portable apps such as nero, tuu2007 via thinstall or similar and you dont have to install them!
it does not need a product key as far as im aware as all you need is your CD image at no point does it ask for a key

(hello guys im new!!)


7. The following will NOT be accepted on this forum and will result in an instant ban:
No warez (warez is things that you would normally pay for and is a completed product by a company)
No porn / unacceptable content
No links to shock sites.
No copyrighted software
Torrents or links to torrents (Unless its free, beta, shareware or abandonware software)

This is not warez according to rule # 7


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:53 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Posts
70
under those rules no. but to create a PE enviroment you need your own genuine windwos XP or server 2003 disk. so if you dont have either then it is warez because you are using warez to create it. :)
but i would just find it, and use it. what you do away from this site and on google is your own choice (that was not a promotion to go warez hunting.)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:50 am 
Reply with quote
Warez = you don't own it.
period.


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:59 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
I am not going to get drawn into a flame war about what is or is not warez. Under the rules it is not.


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:30 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12473

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
LordSTITH wrote:
Warez = you don't own it.
period.


So I don't own freeware or shareware so that makes it warez?

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS