BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 10h, 1m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5679MB of 10799MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Does anyone know how to install opensolaris the opensolaris CD? I have no idea how to do it. I have like no experience working with Linux CD's other than Ubuntu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista RTM
Don't do opensolaris.
Seriously its a very diff. linux.

Its weird. :\

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
Eddie wrote:
Don't do opensolaris.
Seriously its a very diff. linux.

Its weird. :\

It's a UNIX, that's why it's very different to Linux.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:15 pm 
FTP Access

hurricanegeek921 wrote:
Does anyone know how to install opensolaris the opensolaris CD? I have no idea how to do it. I have like no experience working with Linux CD's other than Ubuntu.

First, it's not Linux. Second, installation is very straightforward, it's actually as simple as Ubuntu's. Initial post-install configuration is a bit more difficult, especially for a new-comer to not only Unix, but Linux as well, since support from forums is very faint, but you should get over it at last. What's worst for me is that the repositories (at least official, I didn't try others) are very small. When I had OpenSolaris installed on my PC in June, there were only 1500 packages. Oh and now that I remembered it, one more: if your PC is old, don't try to install OS, as it was pretty slow on my PC with C2D and 4GB RAM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't pick favorites.
Yes, Solaris, and OpenSolaris, they aren't Linux at all. They are UNIX based; they have their own kernel, however, all Linux Distributions use the Linux kernel. Mac OS is UNIX based.

To install, you need a program. A program that aids in burning cds, and dvds, and also burns ISO files. I recommend Deep Burner. It works well for that kind of thing. Download the ISO, and burn it to the DVD with Deepburner.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
gammainfection wrote:
To install, you need a program. A program that aids in burning cds, and dvds, and also burns ISO files. I recommend Deep Burner. It works well for that kind of thing. Download the ISO, and burn it to the DVD with Deepburner.

Some time ago I haven't had broadband and I asked my friend to download the Solaris ISOs and burn them. When I wanted to test them, they wouldn't boot. I decided to check in Windows whether my DVD had trouble reading them or something else happened. I was a bit suprised to see only one file on each CD: Solaris10_CD1.iso, Solaris10_CD2.iso, Solaris10_CD3.iso...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

GL1zdA wrote:
gammainfection wrote:

Some time ago I haven't had broadband and I asked my friend to download the Solaris ISOs and burn them. When I wanted to test them, they wouldn't boot. I decided to check in Windows whether my DVD had trouble reading them or something else happened. I was a bit suprised to see only one file on each CD: Solaris10_CD1.iso, Solaris10_CD2.iso, Solaris10_CD3.iso...

LOL, you can't just burn the image to a CD an burn it, but burn the very content of image. To do it, use e.g. ImgBurn. Anyway, you don't have to download OpenSolaris, you can order it free of charge from https://oscd.sun.com/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
pkubaj wrote:
LOL, you can't just burn the image to a CD an burn it, but burn the very content of image. To do it, use e.g. ImgBurn. Anyway, you don't have to download OpenSolaris, you can order it free of charge from https://oscd.sun.com/

Yes, the problem was I would have never guessed that he (IT student) doesn't know what to do with ISOs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't pick favorites.
That's suprising... I'm not even in college. Umm.. 7th grade. You'd expect an IT Student would know what to do with something as simple as an ISO file. You can even open them up in WinZip. Funny...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Hey, im in 8th grade lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OpenSolaris Install        Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
hurricanegeek921 wrote:

Boot from it (it's a Live CD, I have one too), and when you boot it there's a button "Install".

Top  Profile