BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 7h, 14m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 4718MB of 10563MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:58 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Introduction

What I am using (and what I recommend you use if you go through with this)
* Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, fully updated, Windows Installer 3 installed and the like. Windows XP service pack 2 with IE7 and auto updated turned off. Using a windows install disk Vista or later, format the drive, and then create two partitions labeled Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Exit setup, put in the 2000 disk and install that normally to its respective drive. Once done, install XP SP2 to its respective drive and then you're done.
* Updated Ethernet driver for Windows 2000. With a computer connected to the internet, look up your computer manufacturer and search around for the latest released Ethernet drivers. Put those onto a USB drive (any will work, and if device installer pops up, you can safely close it and navigate to the drive to pull the files off of it), and then copy them to the 2k installation. Make sure you have 7zip (they still support 2k I believe) or an older winrar (though with Extended Kernel, the latest version for XP should work) to extract anything if possible.
* Internet Explorer 7 installer.
* Resource Hacker by Angus Johnson. For this, grab the portable version. You won't need to install it, you can just unzip it and open up the exe.
* Older version of Winrar or any 7zip for extracting any zips we may encounter. If you use Extended Kernel, the latest supported XP version of Winrar should work
* Your favorite internet browser that is fast and has a version that supports 2k. Extended Kernel users can get a newer version working.
* An Ethernet cable and a valid windows installation separate from the experimental one (I.E. 10).

Is it possible to install IE7 on Windows 2000? Not in its current state. The installer will refuse to work on Windows 2000, and running it through Extended Kernel also fails. What this means is we are going to have to do a fair amount of file searching to find files related to IE7. This will involve peeking into the Windows, System32, Program Files, and the hidden folder AppData (More on these later). The Registry Editor will be involved as well. Even though we are only copy and pasting the Internet Explorer values to a notepad document, it is recommended you back up the registry in case something goes awry (do this to both 2000's and XP's registries).

What are the Windows, System 32, Program Files, and AppData folder? Why can't I see the AppData folder?

The Windows folder contains everything related to your windows installation. Trying to access it will produce a "These files should not be modified" message, which can be safely ignored, but will probably get annoying. To disable it on both Windows XP and Windows 2000, open a folder, and click tools. Inside the dropdown menu should be Folder Options. Click that and navigate to View. Under view should be an option to Enable or disable protected files view. Enable it and the warning message should no longer appear.

System 32 contains all the DLL's, and other program components such as Task Manager.

AppData is an initially invisible folder located in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username Here folder. To enable it, open up Folder Options once again, and click Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives. This will makes files such as Desktop.ini visible, and folders such as the aforementioned AppData visible.

How can I dual boot Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2? Is special software needed to mod the loader?

Dual booting is as easy as putting in the 2000 disk and installing that first, and then putting in the XP disk and installing it. Both can be installed like normal, but when XP SP2 asks you about automatic updates, turn those off completely. Not doing so will upgrade the browser to 8 and the version to Service Pack 3, which we do not want. Before beginning, use a Windows Vista or later install disk and prepare two partitions with equal space named Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Once that is done, exit the setup and follow the above. If you want more than two partitions, then go ahead, it won't harm anything. Dual booting generally doesn't require a bootload mod unless you install newer OS first, and then older OS last. If you install the older OS first, you're fine and installation is normal for both.

Why do I need a newer windows OS such as 10 for this experiment?

The newer OS is for internet connection sharing. If you can connect directly to your router, then do that as it will save you time and you can skip this section. If you can't, like me, then follow these steps.

1. On the internet capable computer, look up your computer manufacturer and look for the latest released Ethernet drivers for Windows 2000. If XP SP2 doesn't have a working wireless driver, then do the same for that as well.

2. If you got a zip, extract it to the desktop and follow the setup directions for it. If you got an exe, open it up and follow it through.

3. Once the driver installation is finished, plug in the Ethernet to the old computer and the new computer.

4. On the newer computer, navigate to Network and Sharing center and double click on Change Adapter Settings. In there, Ctrl+Left click on your wi-fi connection and the Ethernet connection, and then right click one of them and click Bridge Connections. It may take a little bit of time for it to go, but you have successfully shared your internet connection with Windows 2000, which means the internet should work. Test it out in your browser to see.

What files are we researching here?

The internet explorer files, and perhaps any other files that contain stuff related to Internet Explorer. We will also be scourging the registry as well. Make sure to back it up. Though we are only copy and pasting Internet Explorer 7 values to a notepad document, it is better to be safe than sorry should something go awry (such as you accidentally deleting an unintended value due to something like a mouse jump).

Will Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 7 be needed?

If you have enough hard drive space to do a tri-boot of Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, then by all means, go ahead. I doubt Vista would be needed since XP should have everything we shall need.

Research and Development

Now that the requirements are out of the way, here comes the fun part. Load up the Windows XP installation and find any files within the Windows, System 32, Program Files, AppData, and any other folder that may contain IE7 files. The registry will also probably have IE7 files as well. Save those to a notepad document. Once again, make sure to back it up in case something goes awry. Once all these are obtained, we can then copy them to the desktop on the Windows 2000 partition. We can now open them using resource hacker (if there is something better, please suggest it) and investigate the files further. This includes finding any other files that "link" to the IE7 files.

I believe if we R&D the IE7 files and any other files that link to it that porting IE7 to Windows 2000 would be possible. This has the potential to be huge if we can get somewhere with this. If this works, then we might even be able to port IE9 to XP SP3, and even IE10 to Vista. Heck, we could possibly backport IE's successor Edge to 2000, XP, and Vista once it moves to the Google Chrome based engine. This new Edge will supposedly also support Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in addition to Windows 10 and Mac. I am going to start researching the files, but the problem is I don't have a Windows XP Service Pack 2 ISO. Could someone point me to one please? And as a reminder, anyone is welcome to contribute to this project in their free time. The more information, the better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Did you know someone actually ported Internet Explorer 6 to Windows 95. Also someone was able to get newer programs working on Windows NT 4.0 by adding missing functions to it's dll files and even got Windows Media Player 10 to work. If you do manage to port Internet Explorer 7 to Windows 2000, why not you do the same thing for Internet Explorer 8 since that version of Internet Explorer also supports Windows XP with SP2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
AussieCartoonFan2001A wrote:
Did you know someone actually ported Internet Explorer 6 to Windows 95. Also someone was able to get newer programs working on Windows NT 4.0 by adding missing functions to it's dll files and even got Windows Media Player 10 to work. If you do manage to port Internet Explorer 7 to Windows 2000, why not you do the same thing for Internet Explorer 8 since that version of Internet Explorer also supports Windows XP with SP2.

Yes I did! I actually have had this idea for many years, which was before I knew of the IE6 port to 95. I've also flirted with porting IE9 to Windows XP, and am willing to revisit that if the 2000 port is a success. I did not know IE8 supported Service Pack 2, I thought you needed Service Pack 3. If IE7 can be ported over, then IE8 should not be much of a problem. Anyone, including you are welcome to help out researching the files. Gonna find a SP2 ISO so I can get IE7. People have done the same with Windows 2000, since the version numbers are very similar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Also I got Internet Explorer 7 working on Windows XP SP1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:28 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Also I got Internet Explorer 7 working on Windows XP SP1

I saw that. I did see that the maker of Extended Kernel for W2k got Internet Explorer 7 to open up, but it wouldn't load webpages from my understanding, even with typing them into the Explorer folder address bar. You can find that post in your thread about Internet Explorer 7 on sp1 (someone links to it).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:03 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Apparently someone had ported Internet Explorer 9 to Windows Vista Build 5840

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7

Interesting. If they got it working there, would a full port to Windows XP work, or is build 5840 too close to the RTM to work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:39 pm 
Donator

Moline wrote:

Interesting. If they got it working there, would a full port to Windows XP work, or is build 5840 too close to the RTM to work.

Build 5840 predates the RTM by whole 11 days. I hope that answers your question.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000. Is it possible?        Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:09 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
AlphaBeta wrote:
Moline wrote:

Build 5840 predates the RTM by whole 11 days. I hope that answers your question.

It does! In that case, it may or may not be possible. Whoever did this would have to do the same thing again, but point it to the Windows XP based builds. If it works on those, then we should then be able to port it to XP by taking it, and any longhorn DLL's and such to Windows XP, and then modifying the XP equivalents of the DLL's (if possible).

Top  Profile