BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 2h, 46m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 2312MB of 3985MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:01 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
Hello Everyone!

Excuse me as I am not the greatest at starting a thread. I am looking for some help or if anyone is interested in a project I would like to start!

I have been doing research on the Remote XDK Recovery Xenon 0615.

This program is a remote recovery exe containing most if not all files to update and existing Alpha Xenon G5 Unit. There is no known ISO recovery for these machines. You need a current functioning unit for this recovery to work.

From my understanding the hard drives in the G5 units are HFS Partition. The boot partition and may be the only partition is called XeBOOT from my understanding. That i believe is where the rom is located or placed for open firmware to access.

This remote recovery program will run on standard windows machine to initiate the install.

I figured why not dissect this recovery and see how it works, where its placing items. and try to reconstruct.

When opening the remote recovery exe in a archive manager you are presented with 5 Folders as follows.

XBOX - Contains xapi.dll
- Xbdm.dll

XBOXFLASH - connectx.dll
- xam.dll
- xbase.dll
- xnet.dll

XBOXROM/0000/ -xboxroma_1mb.bin <-- xbox rom

XDK SAMPLES/DOLPHIN
/SCENEVIEWER
These are samples that run on the dashboard containing media and exe (PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows) header/coff (0x1F0) Power PC Architecture.
-

XSHELL - <-- assuming this is the dashboard and its contents. Each folder has very little contents you can take a look at.
-BANKS some data files
-DATA some more data files
-IMAGES contains button images A,B,X Y, Start, Back, Background Image of Dash, Boot Splash.
-MEDIA fonts etc,
-SOUNDS - button sounds
-default.exe PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows Machine type (0x1f0 )

From my understanding this all ran on a Powermac G5. I can provide exact specs if needed.

This runs on a Power PC Machine (G5) and also using Windows Executables in format of PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows.

I am doing further research as to how to run these EXE files to get the Dashboard up and running on a PowerPC machine, Or Virtual Machine enviornment if possibe. The EXE machine type is PowerPC (0x1f0). I know this is no easy task for one individual. I am seeking help from the Windows NT community as well as any PowerMac Users with experience in operating systems, power pc, and loading the rom in open firmware if possible.

a few questions I may have if anyone has some input or can lead us into the right direction to get this working again. Possible instructions as to how a G5 with open firmware can load this rom image.

There are many people who would like to fix their Alpha Units. I figured why not try to reproduce this remote recovery into a working image on a hard drive or get it running in qemu if possible or if these EXE's can be ran on a power pc version of windows NT that may be out there in the wild?

like i said I am not the best at starting a thread. If you would like to know anymore information or interested in the recovery it may be on the FTP here. if not please PM me.

Thanks for reading! Please leave your input and or if you are interested in making this project a reality as there is a high demand for it it seems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I think my friend (Gunz4Hire) is going to buy alpha kit with Xenon Alpha Recovery. If he buys it, he can maybe help you

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 pm 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
That would be greatly appreciated if you can pass the word on. I do not like to poke at people demanding for help I just would like to spark some interest with others on this topic. The original xbox alpha towers can be made with off the shelf parts other than the sound card which can be picked up from a gentleman who goes by the name of N64 Freak.

As far as i know there are 2 working units in the hands of some people but unfortunatley they are holding.

here is a qoute from a previous owner who no longer has them.

""I have 3 of these now, 2 working and the other hangs on boot.
I compared "printenv" on the 2 systems in Open Firmware. Both are identical in settings and specs, one difference I noticed on the non-working one is it has newer firmware: apple powermac7,3 5.1.8f7 bootrom, compared to: apple powermac7,2 5.1.4f0 bootrom.
I can see and view the dir listing of the hard drive and manually type "boot xeboot" and watch it ELF load the xboxroma.bin file but just freezes.
Could be the 1029 is too old for the newer firmware on this box, I'll know once I swap video cards and memory to confirm.
I'd love to see open firmware in verbose while it's loading/freezing to see what's preventing it from booting.""

Ive seen on UK Ebay there is a unit being sold right now without any hard drive. it was the machine kameo was tested on.

Things I'd need to know for certain is if the open firmware has to be a specific version. people say yes but until there is proof we honestly do not know as there could be OF envirnment settings. a bootloader is all that may be needed, and a reconstructed filesystem. if we can see the exact heirarchy tree of the HFS and see what we may be missing.

I have some bits and peices of the boot process for the previous build version 2.00.1029.00

As you can see the DLL's that are loaded and then linked are the same inside the recovery I have.

Sorry for the long list.

Linked statically with D3DX9.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XUIRUNA.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XAPILBP.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XNETY.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XAPILIB.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with LIBC.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XBOXKRNL.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XGRAPHC.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XACT.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XAUD.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Import dynamic library xboxkrnl.exe

Import dynamic library drivers.dll

Import dynamic library xbdm.dll

PS: PsLoadImage: '\SystemRoot\default.exe' failed to load (C0000034)

PS: Named executable '\SystemRoot\default.exe' failed to start (C0000034)

Loaded DLL XBase.dll (\SystemRoot\XBase.dll)

Mapped 0x905D0000 thru 0x905E0000 (relocated from 0x10000000)

Import dynamic library xam.dll

Loaded DLL UVBase.dll (\SystemRoot\UVBase.dll)

Mapped 0x905F0000 thru 0x905FC000 (relocated from 0x10000000)

Loaded DLL XLiveBase.dll (\SystemRoot\XLiveBase.dll)

Mapped 0x90600000 thru 0x90625000 (relocated from 0x10000000)

Linked statically with XNETY.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Import dynamic library xnet.dll

PS: PsLoadImage: 'TestXex.dll' failed to load (C0000034)

Loaded DLL Xgi.dll (\SystemRoot\Xgi.dll)

Mapped 0x90630000 thru 0x90646000 (relocated from 0x10000000)

Loaded DLL XAPI.dll (\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3\XAPI.dll)

Mapped 0x10000000 thru 0x10004000

Loaded EXE default.exe (\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3\default.exe)

Mapped 0x00400000 thru 0x0052F000

Linked statically with XNET.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with D3D9.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with D3DX9.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XGRAPHC.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XACT.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Linked statically with XAUD.LIB version 2.00.1029.00

Import dynamic library xbdm.dll

Import dynamic library xnet.dll

Import dynamic library XAPI.dll

Import dynamic library drivers.dll

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I can't help you with that except providing Full Auto build for g5 and some samples for g5 (Dolphin, SceneViewer) :(. I am trying to contact Gunz4hire, but he does not respond.
It would be great if someone leaks SDK or at least HDD dump

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:47 pm 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
are they source samples or compiled samples?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Compilled samples

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am 

I have a non booting alpha kit if it helps. can supply you with info hardware wise.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
When you say non booting was there no hard drive? or a new hard drive? Also since then have you installed any mac os version on a freshly new hard drive? im hoping not as it may possibly updated your open firmware? what version of openfirmware is running? can you send me pictures of openfirmware settings?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am 

The original hard drive already has osx installed, it was going bad so i removed it, installed a new hd and reinstalled osx. the open firmware version remained unchanged.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:05 pm 

bowser22 wrote:
The original hard drive already has osx installed, it was going bad so i removed it, installed a new hd and reinstalled osx. the open firmware version remained unchanged.

Too bad. The magic of the Xbox alpha kit isn't in the logic board of these Macs, but in their HDDs preloaded software (Is similar to the kit which makes of the shelf standard RPis load Windows, the magic is in the MS supplied Kernel.img). OpenFirmware onboard on them isn't that different from the retail machines. If any, only version and UUID is different on them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:54 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
bowser22 wrote:

Are you still in possession of said hard drive? I am curious if it was the same brand that came with the original unit. it may be possible to recover older data as I know of a few tools that can be used to attempt analysis.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: POWER PC - PE32 executable (XBOX), for MS Windows        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:59 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
bowser22 wrote:

Too bad. The magic of the Xbox alpha kit isn't in the logic board of these Macs, but in their HDDs preloaded software (Is similar to the kit which makes of the shelf standard RPis load Windows, the magic is in the MS supplied Kernel.img). OpenFirmware onboard on them isn't that different from the retail machines. If any, only version and UUID is different on them.

Are you saying that the open firmware is different on these units than a retail unit? I am not familiar with UUID. As far as i can tell everything in this remote recovery is all that is needed and can be reconstructed. We're are just missing a few bits and pieces to get this loading. There has to be others who are savvy enough to get this working.. (high hopes) I think if there was enough attention towards the project it can be done.

Top  Profile