BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 71d, 16h, 2m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 6290MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I have a 2nd gen iPod touch, that i have had for about 4weeks, since i got it, i have had the urge to jailbreak it, but haven't due to fear of wrecking a $500 device (it's the 16gb btw) how risky is jailbreaking, is it reversable, and can I get apps from torrent sites to work

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Like any firmware hack it is risky, but it is reversible if you decide you don't want it anymore. However, you can brick the device rendering it useless and of course you void the warranty in doing so, so Apple won't replace it, sadly.

The risk is up to you, most people are successful so I don't see why you can't be. Just make sure you take your time and thoroughly read the instructions on how to do it. I've never jail-broken a device or looked up on how to do it so I can't offer any more advice than that.

Try and find someone who has done it several times before and get them to give you a hand. I'm sure there is someone on the forum who has done it and would be willing to help you. Anyone?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 pm 
Donator

Regarding your last question, you can install apps from torrent sites, but you have to install something via Cydia (I won't say what, as it is illegal, but a lot of the torrents have instructions with them either in the description or as a text file included with the app).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
I have unlocked about 4 iPhones ( I can say that it's risk free.

What you really do is that you enter a DFU mode that you will not modify at all in the whole proccess.
DFU mode is kinda like a bios boot for the enduser. (you can install OS from here or boot to one).

You can install a new os / hacked os from here, pretty much no matter what your current one is.
I've even had a completely useless iphone made from reflashing trough here, I got it restored later on with ease.
You really have to go around and get it bricked intentionally, It's not something you can do by accident really by jailbreaking.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
I've jailbroken my own iphone time and time again, and jailbroken a few ipod touches along the way.

I can honestly say from a technical standpoint, there's no way to fully brick a device from a jailbreak - the underlying DFU recovery mode is part of the low-level firmware, which doesn't get replaced during an upgrade. It's like the Boot Block in a system bios - it's there to load up any form of proper firmware for the device. Follow a guide on a reputable site, and you'll be fine. I suggest taking a look at http://www.thebigboss.org/ for a proper guide.

Good Luck

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:10 pm 
FTP Access

I've jailbroken lots of stuff as well. Just as you are now, I was scared to do it at first, but after doing it a few times, its become fun. Go for it! You'll be glad you did.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:48 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I don't know of a way to brick it... I suppose if you pull the power or something of the sort.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:03 am 
FTP Access

You can never brick an iPhone or iPod Touch by jailbreaking. DFU mode will always save the device. The only device you can brick is the iPhone when you attempt an unlock and say a procedure during the unlock went wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
If your iPhone or iPod touch get bricked, there is always a way to unbrick them. If your phone get bricked, other people phone get bricked too. They always find a way out of it. Also, jailbreaking is not illegal, although Apple has made an had made an unsuccessful attempt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:57 am 
Administrator

You can brick (or at least make it unusable) an iPhone by trashing or flashing an unsupported baseband firmware. You can't reverse that one easily, so if you flash it and it doesn't work then you're out of luck unless there is a newer baseband firmware. And those are not released very often.

As for normal iPod Touch/iPhone flashing you CAN brick them, just like every other flashing. If your flashing goes bad the unit won't be able to turn on, and it's not always safe to say that the init code (the code for DFU mode etc) is properly flashed either, since it's a flash feature and not a feature set in hardware. So it's always a risk, but if you follow proper instructions and don't fiddle too much then the risk should be minimal. I've jailbroken over 200 units by now and never completely failed, but some units were problematic since they refused to go on until I reflashed them again.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:57 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Well, Jailbreaking isnt really all that hard, When in doubt, just go online and look up a detailed "how-to" on jailbreaking. I was able to jailbreak my sister's 2nd generation iPod Touch.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I have jailbroken my iPod Touch three times. Each time, it went through the procedure fine. Just follow the instructions and do not do anything outside of what the instructions tell you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
There's not really a risk. As I have done it to my iphone, my old iphone, my old iTouch, and others. You just have to focus, and get the right program for what firmware you have. i.e in your case,maybe spirit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1
I've jailbroken on Mac OS X and Windows for every update that came out since I got my 1st gen iPod touch. I just got the 4G and have jailbroken it all the way to the iOS 5 beta, which I'm running now. I've never had an issue, and as others have said, there's pretty much no way to brick your iPod jailbreaking it. In addition, you can restore from iTunes to remove the jailbreak and the traces of it are gone if you need to clean it off.

tl;dr Do it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 am 
FTP Access

I have a jailbroken iPod touch (2nd generation).

Really, you'd have to make sure you:
  • Choose legit sources (Cydia has some for you, but there are some like the XBMC source to get the iOS version of XMBC.)
  • Download legit tweaks and apps (From Cydia, of course)
  • Don't use/Be cautious about "pirate sources" that provide cracked apps and tweaks, some may be malicious software.
  • Jailbreak with a laptop, when, let's say, a powercut happens. Make sure the laptop's battery is good and charged enough to last for the whole jailbreaking process.

Only an idiot can brick his iDevice.

And about the legalities involved, in the US, it's PERFECTLY legal to jailbreak your own iPhone (Thanks to EFF)
in the UK, it's also legal, as long as you don't breach any other law with the hacked device.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:59 am 

Favourite OS
Jailbroke my 2nd gen Touch, iphone 3gs and waiting for the iPad 2 jailbreak. It's really nothing special or dangerous, if you know what you're doing(if not, you may just restore your iDevice as often as you want, it's really hard to brick the dfu mode)
btw, does xbmc playback work on the 2nd gen iTouch smooth?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The risk of jailbreaking?        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:02 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Look at the dates! Not hard.

Also can people stop being sheep.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]