BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 13h, 31m | CPU: 65% | MEM: 5303MB of 10451MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Hello i was wondering if anyone could tell me the lowest spec computer it takes to run Snow Leopard. I mean I have a Macbook but i would prefer to get a cheaper one so I don't mess anything up on my good one.

Thanks For Your Help!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

I believe the requirements is any Intel Mac.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 pm 
FTP Access

Its any Intel Mac with a 64 bit capable cpu (Core 2 cpus and above but nut Core Duo cpus)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Randomiser wrote:
Its any Intel Mac with a 64 bit capable cpu (Core 2 cpus and above but nut Core Duo cpus)

Not true, I'm running a Core Duo MacBook Pro, and Snow Leopard is working 100% fine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:53 pm 
FTP Access

Randomiser wrote:

I believe Apple is including a 32-bit and 64-bit kernel.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:44 am 
FTP Access

Snow Leopard will run on any Intel mac, however, older mac's are not eligible for the $29 upgrade price.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
ftgba2244 wrote:
Snow Leopard will run on any Intel mac, however, older mac's are not eligible for the $29 upgrade price.

Once again, not true. ANYBODY who purchased Apple Mac OS X Leopard will get the $29 upgrade price.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
Derf wrote:
Once again, not true. ANYBODY who purchased Apple Mac OS X Leopard will get the $29 upgrade price.

I agree. Any Leopard user is obviously eligible for the Snow Leopard upgrade.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:09 pm 
FTP Access

Blizzardo1 wrote:
Any Leopard user is obviously eligible for the Snow Leopard upgrade.

Except those of us still enjoying our PowerPC machines and don't have a less-than-three year old Mac :( Oh well, if they don't want us to run Snowy on our perfectly good and still powerful "Apple-labelled" boxes then there's always the Hack Pro...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Blizzardo1 wrote:
Any Leopard user is obviously eligible for the Snow Leopard upgrade.

Except those of us still enjoying our PowerPC machines and don't have a less-than-three year old Mac :( Oh well, if they don't want us to run Snowy on our perfectly good and still powerful "Apple-labelled" boxes then there's always the Hack Pro...

There's no reason to have PowerPC users run Snow Leopard, as a lot (if not all) of the optimizations are specifically there to benefit the Intel architecture.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.5
F44 Control wrote:
There's no reason to have PowerPC users run Snow Leopard, as a lot (if not all) of the optimizations are specifically there to benefit the Intel architecture.

And I've just realised where a chunk of their huge space savings on app size are coming from - They're cutting out the PPC code from their universal binaries. Delicious drive space.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 pm 
FTP Access

Removing the PPC code only cuts application sizes by about 10%, so less than 1 GB of savings - more of the savings in Snowy come from leaving out the designable.nib files this time (they are files that shouldn't be in there when compiling a release build anyway, they were for some reason left in for Leopard and you can delete them with a script to recover about 1 GB of disk space - the cynical amongst us might say they were left in to make the size difference between 10.5 and 10.6 seem larger so everyone would think losing PPC support was the reason for it and so not such a bad thing...). Anyway, in the 68k to PPC transition days you had the option when installing the OS (and most applications) to install a 68k version, PPC version, or Universal version, so had they offered that this time around there wouldn't have been this issue of wasted space from having both architectures' code installed anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 pm 
FTP Access

Would you rather Mac OS X become out of date, slower, and taking a lot of space because it needs to hang on to older code for PowerPC, or would you rather purchase an Intel Mac at a later date and experience a better and faster Mac version designed for Intel processors and the future?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Snow Leopard Specs????        Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
PC-BSD 7.1 Mac OS X DR2
Apple is dropping support for PPC most likely to get PPC users to buy Intels. More of a reason to build a Hackint0sh.

Top  Profile