BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 2h, 49m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 4893MB of 10909MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I want to put a copy of MacOS X on my laptop (using PearPC), but not sure which version to use... I just want to play around with it, see what it's like (I've used OSX at sixth-form a couple of years ago, but I don't count it because the machines were networked and slow and crap). So which version would be good to play with? Where could I get it from without it costing me anything?

Also, how do I get PearPC to work? I've been trying to work it out for a couple of years now and still haven't got a clue...

Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 pm 
FTP Access

On YouTube are some great tutorials showing how to get it work

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:49 pm 
Donator

You can't really ask here about where to obtain Mac OS X for free, that's warez... there's an excellent site called Google though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

@pr0gram the pr0grammer, i dont think he is asking where to get it, but what version to use.. ;-)

However, if you wanna play with OSX.. google is your friend...

http://www.google.se/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=osx+x86
(just and example on a osx x86 search for the real lazy)

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
.. my mistake.. maybe i should get glasses :(

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 pm 
FTP Access

You'd be better off trying out the x86 version of OS X in VMware than the PowerPC version in PearPC - it will run faster and more reliably, plus I don't think leopard was ever got to work on PearPC whereas it will run well in VMware on a decent-spec machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I know it possible to run osx86 on vmware, but it require a lot of tweaking, easier to just install it on an actual pc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:20 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I would suppose your running Pear PC for a specific application? I would go with 10.2 because it will use the less resources and have the most compatibility.

FYI
Office 2008 = 1.4.9
Office 2004 = 1.2.8

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:52 pm 
FTP Access

Day2Die wrote:
I know it possible to run osx86 on vmware, but it require a lot of tweaking, easier to just install it on an actual pc.

Not at all! :) I have Leopard Server 10.5.6 in VMware and it runs very fast, and all I did was boot VMware off a special boot CD and then install from a 100% retail DVD - there is a new installation method out now that lets you use these boot disks and retail install DVDs straight from Apple, though you do have to always start up off the image of the boot CD and enter some numbers to tell it to boot from the virtual hard drive. You can also install all the system updates direct from Apple Software Update using this, or at least I installed 10.5.0 Server and then applied the 10.5.5 combo and later on 10.5.6, and got no errors or needed to tweak anything.

It's actually much harder to install it on an actual PC because you need to fiddle around with all the drivers and everything whereas it seems generic ones in Leopard work fine with VMware - also these special boot CDs seem to be machine-specific and you have to find one for your type of motherboard etc , whereas with VMware you just download the VMware one and use that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I am running on older build, 10.4 Tiger in VMWare.

It requires 3GB of RAM to run smooth, if you have 2 or less it will open the menu, but about 1~3 minutes after you click it.
But it runs smooth, only the Network Card does not work (Using the Intel 1000 one).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm 
FTP Access

DjRob wrote:
It requires 3GB of RAM to run smooth, if you have 2 or less it will open the menu, but about 1~3 minutes after you click it.
But it runs smooth, only the Network Card does not work (Using the Intel 1000 one).

Leopard installed using the new installation method is a lot better - I've got it set to 1.5 GB and it is very fast indeed, and everything works properly including the network card with no extra drivers needed beyond the basic installation from the retail DVD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:10 am 
Donator

Emulating OS X is horribly slow, in VMWare its bearable but with PearPC you're also emulating a completely different processor.

You'd be better off tbh installing OSx86

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 pm 
If you're looking to install it as a real OS and not a virtual OS, then I'd suggest using the retail disc. I've attempted several installs on a few different hardware configurations and have had the best results with installing retail OS X from the Leopard disc. I should not that I haven't had success with upgrading past 10.5.4 but then again, be happy with what you have if you get that far without much difficulty. I also recommend using Time Machine to backup your install as you go if you have a spare hard disk.

PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm 
Donator

You either install with a retail disk or an illegal one ;) it does not make a difference though in this case, if I read correctly, the person wanted to use pearpc because they are on (I imagine) a PC and cant install a mac OS nor do they have a mac.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6.3 :D
What works for me is using VMWare Workstation with iAtkos 10.5.4, but iAtkos 10.5.5 and kalyway don't work :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
PC-BSD 7.1 Mac OS X DR2
iAtkos v7 is the best. got it to work on all of my pc's

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
Quote:
You can't really ask here about where to obtain Mac OS X for free, that's warez

I hope you realize that if that is true, Everything in the FTP server is warez too, even if it is "Abandonware".
Even if it is a million years old, The companies who created them still hold their copyrights and all other fruity legal rights...
But who cares.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Best OSX to run on a PC?        Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
ReCreate wrote:
Everything in the FTP server is warez

Ummmm.... ReactOS is warez? I think not. :P
and, as far as I know, the older versions of MacOS are NOT warez, Apple lets people download them from their own site.

Top  Profile  WWW