BetaArchive
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/

OSx86 10.5.2 - which one
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=5004
Page 1 of 2

Author:  happy dude [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 pm ]
Post subject:  OSx86 10.5.2 - which one

Which "distro" of OSx86 10.5.2 should I be looking to download? iATKOS or Kalyway (or something else again). Leo4All fails to boot at all on my PC (tried everything possible, too :( )

System is an AMD Sempron 2600 1.6Ghz/1.5GB DDR/Some MSI motherboard

Author:  mrpijey [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

You can forget running 10.5.x on a Sempron. Not only will it be quite slow, but it doesn't support SSE3 which is required by those newer versions. Perhaps there is some hack somewhere that allows you to run it on an non-SSE3 CPU, but it will be _slow_.

And you should also check out the OSX86 website to see what kind of hardware is needed. There are lots of guides there on how to install various editions on various hardware. Not all hardware is suited for a Hackintosh. And there are so many different hacked builds out that you have to try a lot of them to see how it works on your hardware. There is no "generic" Hackintosh OSX86 release.

See the OSx86 website for info and guides.

Ps. "some MSI board" doesn't cut it. Find out what motherboard you got and which chipset it's equipped with, and what video card you have. The three essential infos you need for a successful OSx86 installation is CPU, chipset and video card.

Author:  mdogg [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: OSx86 10.5.2 - which one

happy dude wrote:
Which "distro" of OSx86 10.5.2 should I be looking to download? iATKOS or Kalyway (or something else again). Leo4All fails to boot at all on my PC (tried everything possible, too :( )

System is an AMD Sempron 2600 1.6Ghz/1.5GB DDR/Some MSI motherboard

It would help if you could give us the MSI motherboard model number.

Author:  happy dude [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

mrpijey, we've been over this once (over x86-x64), my sempron isnt the original... it supports SSE3.

Mobo is an MSI MS-7142, Chipset is VIA K8M-400, video is integrated (from what I can tell - VIA/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP)

Author:  XDude [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

mrpijey wrote:
You can forget running 10.5.x on a Sempron. Not only will it be quite slow, but it doesn't support SSE3 which is required by those newer versions. Perhaps there is some hack somewhere that allows you to run it on an non-SSE3 CPU, but it will be _slow_.

My scoket 754 sempron supports SSE3 and 64bit, cool huh?
yes semprons are slow and they don't process graphics effect efficiently
amd seems to cause more trouble with macs too, get a core 2 duo

atleast tell us what socket your sempron fits on!

Author:  happy dude [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

same as yours XDude...socket 754

Author:  tomwalter [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would probably suggest kalyway 10.5.2 as it allows for the installation of different kernels (one which may work an which can apparently be changed after installation).

You may find, whatever distribution you choose, that you will run into driver problems

Author:  hounsell [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

tomwalter wrote:
I would probably suggest kalyway 10.5.2 as it allows for the installation of different kernels (one which may work an which can apparently be changed after installation).

You may find, whatever distribution you choose, that you will run into driver problems


He's already said Kalyway doesn't work ;)

I would have thought it would work though, It's got a kernels for supposedly any AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 combination :?

Author:  Vista Ultimate R2 [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

iATKOS 10.5.1 with the Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Updater worked fine for me :) I used the Apple ("vanilla") kernel, the best choice if it works on your PC, but I think iATKOS has a hacked kernel as well if you need one.

Author:  tomwalter [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

hounsell wrote:
tomwalter wrote:
I would probably suggest kalyway 10.5.2 as it allows for the installation of different kernels (one which may work an which can apparently be changed after installation).

You may find, whatever distribution you choose, that you will run into driver problems


He's already said Kalyway doesn't work ;)

I would have thought it would work though, It's got a kernels for supposedly any AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 combination :?


he said that Leo4All didn't work

Author:  mrpijey [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

happy dude wrote:
mrpijey, we've been over this once (over x86-x64), my sempron isnt the original... it supports SSE3.

Mobo is an MSI MS-7142, Chipset is VIA K8M-400, video is integrated (from what I can tell - VIA/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP)


Ah, ok. But your video is definately a problem. OSX only supports Intel chipsets (GMA900 (with hack), 950 and newer) and nvidia/ATI GPU:s. That integrated antique thing will definately cause problems. At best you'll have a very slow non-accelerated UI, at worst you will not see any UI at all. Even for OSX you should consider getting some lowend ATI or NVidia card.

Chipset isn't used at all by Apple either, nor does VIA provide proper drivers for it for the BSD platform. Check the OSx86 forums and ask around what options you got with your hardware. Every OSx86 dist comes with a set of patched kernels and drivers, so you need hardware that is compatible. CPU is fine then (albeit slow), but GPU and chipset needs checking.

Author:  LotsaHeart [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Isn't this discussion warez?, because this would violate Apple's ToS

Author:  Vista Ultimate R2 [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't think so, it's not illegal to talk about it, only to give links to it (well, it is not clear if even that is illegal or not as if it is then Google is illegal, as well as all the OSx86 sites that have been around for years ;))

Author:  mrpijey [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

LotsaHeart wrote:
Isn't this discussion warez?, because this would violate Apple's ToS


Warez is a piece of software, not information. Discussing about running OSX on a non-Mac doesn't violate anything, since you need a version of MacOS, original or hacked, none which is provided here. You also may need to know how to circumvent the DRM section of a real MacOS disc, which is also not discussed here. No links are given, so it's just a theoretical discussion of what might be needed to run MacOS on a non-Apple machine. That's it. The website (OSx86) doesn't provide links or info about anything either. It's up to you to find the binaries needed.

You only break Apple's ToS by actually hacking the binaries, and that's not done here :P. And if you really want to be nitpicky, the Apple ToS is illegal in most countries (Sweden for one), same goes for Microsoft EULA. As long as you own the software (by purchasing MacOS X or Microsoft Windows) you are free to do whatever you want to it as long as you keep the files to yourself and don't give them out.

But here we can discuss what's needed for a Hackintosh, but linking to binaries or directly discussing DRM hacking is not permitted.

Author:  XDude [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

LotsaHeart wrote:
Isn't this discussion warez?, because this would violate Apple's ToS

our rules allow us to disscuss but not share files

Author:  empireum [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
iATKOS 10.5.1 with the Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Updater worked fine for me :) I used the Apple ("vanilla") kernel, the best choice if it works on your PC, but I think iATKOS has a hacked kernel as well if you need one.

That (including the vanilla kernel) is for Intel only. Every OSx86 distro ships with one or more hacked kernels nowadays as there's still a number of reasons why you can't or ought not use a vanilla kernel.

I mostly agree with mrpijey on that one. That chipset's probably going to cause you some serious trouble, primarily due to its southbridge (IDE ports and all) and secondarily because of the integrated GPU. You can probably get a GUI up and running if you manage to boot OS X on there, but you'll neither have Core Image or Quartz Extreme thus it'll be slow and your resolution may also be limited to 1024x768 although that can be manually adjusted. After that, you still need to check if your mobo's on-board components (sound, ethernet, etc.) work on OS X as you'll run into problems when no ethernet interface is detected (the Welcome wizard will crash, leaving you no way to initially complete the set-up process).

With that being said, my advice is to download one of the AMD distros out there (Kalyway 10.5.2, etc.) and install it, using a hacked AMD kernel of course to see how far you can get. If the distro boots and works mostly (i.e. ethernet is usable and so on) you can think of getting a cheap NVidia card to get CI and QE which are quite essential for OS X. But if there are more fundamental problems, I'd advise against that, it'll probably be too much of a hassle. After all, OS X x86 is designed to run on Intel CPUs and Intel chipsets, with a defined set of GPUs.

Author:  happy dude [ Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

offtopic I installed 10.4.8 but the login window doesnt come up, keeps crashing... this worked fine in VMWare. I'll soon have enough money for a new Mac Mini so it probably wont matter :D [/b]

Author:  golfmark17 [ Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

from what i know, the best distro for leopard is iatkos and toh. but even then, they are finicky...

Author:  XDude [ Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

why not use 10.5.4 instead?

Author:  empireum [ Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

XDude wrote:
why not use 10.5.4 instead?

Apart from iatkos, which is Intel only, there's no 10.5.4 DVD around yet so you still have to install 10.5.2 first and update afterwards.

Author:  XDude [ Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

empireum wrote:
XDude wrote:
why not use 10.5.4 instead?

Apart from iatkos, which is Intel only, there's no 10.5.4 DVD around yet so you still have to install 10.5.2 first and update afterwards.

have you tried the iatkos release? I still have to download it.

Author:  empireum [ Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

XDude wrote:
empireum wrote:
XDude wrote:
why not use 10.5.4 instead?

Apart from iatkos, which is Intel only, there's no 10.5.4 DVD around yet so you still have to install 10.5.2 first and update afterwards.

have you tried the iatkos release? I still have to download it.

Not yet.

Author:  longview [ Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Protip: The latest SSE2 patches actually modify binaries on disk and in realtime so it's almost as fast as SSE3 would be.

Author:  bointhemix [ Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Leo4all :)

Author:  XX55XX [ Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

I haven't tried any of this stuff yet; but I have a copy of Leo4allv3 burned onto a DVD and can confirm that while the DVD boots properly, I haven't actually gone through the process of installing it because I haven't set up any proper partitions on my hard drive yet.

I could just simply wipe out Vista from my hard drive, but to me, that is not an option.

But I can say with confidence that my Core 2 Duo should handle this nicely. (With vanilla kernel too!)

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/