BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 1h, 32m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 2203MB of 3035MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: iPhone version of OSX        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64
I'm quite interested in getting the iPhone3G when it comes out, but I've not even been remotely near an iPhone, let alone use one.

I've heard it uses OSX as its OS, but how much of OSX is it really? Is it vaguely similar to the desktop version (a bit like Windows Mobile is to Windows) or it it just by name only?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:47 pm 
FTP Access

It's almost line-for-line the same source code as the desktop Mac OS X for the base layer, kernel, core OS, networking, etc.

On that it builds with WebKit and OpenGL/ES, similar to the desktop versions.

And at the very top level you have something completely different, a UI framework that's designed for touch-screen and miniscule memory usage. Much as desktop OS X has "AppKit" and "ProKit" as its UI layers, iPhoneOS has "UIKit".

This is very different to Windows Mobile, which is similar to Windows only in name and certain characteristics (i.e. file structure, .exe files, task manager).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thanks a lot slasher - much appreciated.

Only choice now is am I happy to say bye to the N95 for an iPhone? :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm 
FTP Access

Biohead wrote:
Thanks a lot slasher - much appreciated.

Only choice now is am I happy to say bye to the N95 for an iPhone? :?

I'd say yes. I was with the Series 60 phones since the 7650 and going up through the revisions on the OS. While it's a very good phone os, it just doesn't compare in any way to iPhone OS X. Some things I though I'd sorely miss, like delivery reports, aren't actually as important as I'd expected. After using the iPhone for a few days I knew there was never any way I could go back to a standard phone, or to Symbian.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
To be perfectly honest, this might just be enough to push me to buy one.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my N95. HSDPA, 5MP camera, wifi. But out of those 3 main feature, I only really use the wifi.

A 5MP camera is nice to have but nothing like a dedicated camera. And I use the built in HSDPA on my laptop now for mobile internet (Honestly - best invention since sliced bread!)

I've not actually spoke to many people who previously owned an S60 phone, and on paper, the N95 pretty much beats the iPhone. There just something about iPhone3G I quite like if you understand what I mean.
And your comments have pushed me even further to buying one :)

One more question: whats the built in music player like? (I'm presuming the current one will be similar to 2.0 f/w)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

I've played with an N95 quite a bit, but the iPhone just looks and feels so much better in the hand. The N95 feels a bit light and slightly plasticky.

As a media player the iPhone is the best, as Apple marketed it "the best iPod ever". That really is true, manipulating your music with your fingers is just so much more powerful; analogue scrolling is a killer feature, and the CoverFlow mode just feels so nice to browse through.

Unlike any other touch-screen 'thing' I've seen, the iPhone's touch screen really feels right. It's like you're manipulating the glass with your fingers, and doesn't feel cheap like so many other touch devices. I've been through my fair few PocketPCs (and Newtons :)) and nothing comes close.

On paper, pretty much everything 'beats' the iPhone. But in practice, you will love your iPhone so much more and find it much more useful and *usable*. It's a hard thing to describe, and it's similar with many of Apple's products.

I do recommend trying it in person first, but as with most people that will probably in itself convince you you want it :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:27 am 
you know what, iphone/ipod touch using same kernel with leopard use for their osx86 machine
if you check it from terminal at iphone/ipod touch it will be show

darwin kernel ...bla4....

same exactly if you do that at your os x machine :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:04 pm 
Donator

Does the iPhone actually use anything from OSX other than Darwin?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:28 pm 
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Does the iPhone actually use anything from OSX other than Darwin?

Well from first hands with the development kit, I can say it does. like for instance, Core Foundation, Core Audio, and Core Animation frameworks are almost 99% identical to Mac OS X's frameworks on the desktop.

The two big difference is opengl ES and the UIKit. On the desktop, Mac OS X uses openGL 2.0 - 2.1 (Apple's own implementation). This is a bit different from openGL ES, mainly that ES has fewer commands.

Now for the other thing, Mac OS X uses a framework called AppKit. this is the high level Cocoa framework used through out the application. Users normally see AppKit in action through the graphical user interface of an application, which the AppKit helps create.

In OS X iPhone, Apple replaced the AppKit in favor of UIKit. This is very very similar, but the methods and classes are slightly renamed. An example would be a Window, AppKit uses the NSWindow class while UIKit uses UIWindow. They are the same thing, but with slightly different names.

There are controls/views in the iPhone OS that replace Mac OS X's in which they are radically different. In this case the classes in the iPhone OS are completely new and share very few similarities with their Mac OS X counter parts. This includes a new slider class for the iPhone, which in fact has been used in Mac OS X as well (in the Time Machine System Preferences).

You could also say that the iPhone as a few new things like the multi-touch framework, but in fact Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on the desktop also has this framework in the System/Library/Private Frameworks/ directory.

Hope this helps.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:41 am 
It is OSX in the sense of programing for it, however that's where the similarities end. The GUI is completely different.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Just as an update: I ended up buying one of these upon release.

I've gotta say - the phone is fantastic. It hands down beats my old N95. I know technically its not amongst the best out there, but I wouldn't have anything else anymore.

I also ended up buying an Advent 4211/MSI Wind simply to run OS X on it, and yes, to the end user its nothing like OSX.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re:        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Se7en #7068
grabberslasher wrote:
It's almost line-for-line the same source code as the desktop Mac OS X for the base layer, kernel, core OS, networking, etc.

On that it builds with WebKit and OpenGL/ES, similar to the desktop versions.

And at the very top level you have something completely different, a UI framework that's designed for touch-screen and miniscule memory usage. Much as desktop OS X has "AppKit" and "ProKit" as its UI layers, iPhoneOS has "UIKit".

This is very different to Windows Mobile, which is similar to Windows only in name and certain characteristics (i.e. file structure, .exe files, task manager).

I thought Windows Mobile used a version of the standard MS kernel?
And Mobile IE is heavily based on IE 6.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: iPhone version of OSX        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm 
No. The Windows CE kernel has nothing to do with the Windows NT kernel we run on our desktops. They have some shared characteristics and were both originally developed with a desktop paradigm GUI, but that is about it. I used to be a big fan of WinCE back in the day. I still remember the Handheld PCs Compaq made.

Though, like Symbian Series 60, Windows CE is a very ancient platform developed for devices far weaker than what we have today. There have been updates but nothing that has actually scaled well with performance and thus we have not seen end user experiences like the iPhone OSX variant on those devices. That being said, both have an extensive list of excellent software (simcity 2000 for WinCE FTW) that isn't governed by Apple's ridiculously schizophrenic approval process which enjoys hurting consumers by disallowing things Apple, and GSM operators wouldn't like.

Here's a protip to iPhone users: Jailbreak.