BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 23h, 56m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5010MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: OS X Tiger (PowerPC) performance varying widely after format        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
I recently got an iBook G3 model M6497 (500MHz, 128MB+256MB RAM, 40GB HDD installed by me, which was completely wiped).

I first installed Tiger immediately after replacing the HDD. I have to use a 4 CD setup because this machine only has a CD ROM drive. I was actually surprised at how fast it ran. Granted, it was not "snappy", UIs would sometimes lock up for one or two seconds while multitasking "a lot" of application, but it was totally in the usable realm.

Then, I used the Disk utility from the Tiger boot CD, because I wanted to install OS 9 too, not knowing it would delete the content of the partition instead of actually "resizing" it when making it smaller. So I install Tiger a second time. This time, however, something was wrong. The computer was unbearably slow from the very moment the install completed. UIs would often lock up for even a full minute by just interacting with elements even when not multitasking, and the whole thing would sometimes lock up, obligating me to force shut down the computer. Hell, even typing in the terminal would cause the PC to beachball.

So, I decided to reinstall Tiger, because the behaviour was very odd. The third time, however, I didn't even let it finish the install, because the installer was advancing very slowly, and it was even showing "7 hours to completion". Something was very wrong.

So screw it, I'm starting fresh. So I initialize the hard drive using the Tiger boot CD, partition it to accommodate for OS 9 in advance, and reinstall Tiger a fourth time. And, I'm back to the enjoyable experience I was having the first time. Everything is responsive enough to be actually usable again.

Now my question is, what could have caused the anomalous slow-down? I was going to say it was installing OS 9, but I've already reinstalled it after the fourth install, and it made no difference this time. Plus, every time, I was just running the barebones OS and the security updates still available from the updater, so it's not like I was installing some piece of demanding software. I also thought about the HDD failing, but SMART isn't reporting any errors.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OS X Tiger (PowerPC) performance varying widely after fo        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 am 
Donator

Zacchi4k wrote:
I also thought about the HDD failing, but SMART isn't reporting any errors.

From experience with older disks, it is also entirely possible for a SMART test to not show any error flags but for a disk to become slower with age. This tends to be more down to parameters staying within pre-fail or old-age boundaries and not actually showing as a flag for failure (or poor health). Try again with another disk, and see if you can repeat the issue

HTH

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: OS X Tiger (PowerPC) performance varying widely after fo        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
Level69chad wrote:
Zacchi4k wrote:
I also thought about the HDD failing, but SMART isn't reporting any errors.

From experience with older disks, it is also entirely possible for a SMART test to not show any error flags but for a disk to become slower with age. This tends to be more down to parameters staying within pre-fail or old-age boundaries and not actually showing as a flag for failure (or poor health). Try again with another disk, and see if you can repeat the issue

HTH

Thanks for the tip, but... have you seen what it takes to replace the hard drive on an iBook G3? I don't think I'll torture myself into spending another two hours to take it apart and promptly forgetting screws when putting it back :P
The thing is, it all went away after wiping the disk and starting fresh, with the same partition configuration as before. I'm actually surprised at how "fast" Tiger runs because, from what I had read online, I excepted it to be much more sluggish.
Also, I really need to hunt down a proper SMART utility for Tiger, the one included in the OS literally just tell you if the disk is OK or if it's failing but doesn't let you view the details. BUT, I do remember plugging the HDD in a Windows PC right before putting it in the iBook, and CrystalDiskInfo didn't report any issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OS X Tiger (PowerPC) performance varying widely after fo        Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:27 am 
Donator

It might be worth just waiting until the disk bites the dust and then investing the time to install an MSATA SSD with an IDE adapter; I did something similar with my TiBook years ago.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: OS X Tiger (PowerPC) performance varying widely after fo        Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
Level69chad wrote:
It might be worth just waiting until the disk bites the dust and then investing the time to install an MSATA SSD with an IDE adapter; I did something similar with my TiBook years ago.

That's the long term goal, when I have enough time and money to spare :P

Top  Profile