BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 100d, 18h, 48m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 6478MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Windows?        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:11 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
I was wondering if it was possible to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Windows 7 through either some sort of emulator, or through hackintoshing. I'm not sure as I never really used Mac OS X, however, I remember emulating Mac OS 9 in SheepShaver. And is there any BIOS date for the Public Beta? If there is, I would certainly like to know what it is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
I believe you need a real old mac to run these versions, you cannot emulate them. (iirc)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I thought it was possible to run the Public Beta in some emulator. The DP1 requires a real Mac iirc. I never tried in an emulator since I have a Mac that apparently can run it (iMac G3 rev D).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 am 

Favourite OS
QEMU/VMWare could do it, but I'm not sure if VBox will... I'll probably test and see if it does...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
coltonspleen wrote:
QEMU/VMWare could do it, but I'm not sure if VBox will... I'll probably test and see if it does...

QEMU is the only choice there. VMware and VirtualBox are hypervisors, not emulators. You need an emulator for PowerPC OS X.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:31 am 

Favourite OS
That makes sense as only 10.5 and higher were Intel Mac OSes...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
coltonspleen wrote:
That makes sense as only 10.5 and higher were Intel Mac OSes...

Nope, OS X 10.4.1 Tiger was the first one, with 10.4.4 being the first public release on Intel.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 pm 

Favourite OS
Good to know. If only I could figure out what date to set the clock back to for it to run...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Public Beta in Window        Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

coltonspleen wrote:
Good to know. If only I could figure out what date to set the clock back to for it to run...

I would suggest 01 January 2000 for the public beta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS#Mac_OS_X_Public_Beta
Quote:
On September 13, 2000, Apple released a $29.95[145] "preview" version of Mac OS X internally codenamed Kodiak in order to gain feedback from users.

I first used Mac OS X on Intel with a MacBook Pro 1,1 in 2006. A year before that, Mac OS X 10.3.9 on an iBook G3 700MHz 12". PearPC PowerPC emulation is reported to be 30x slower than native. Qemu may be as low as 15x since it's a bit more modern. I don't recall it having dynamic recompilation (Ie Rosetta, but system level) though, so it won't be 5x slower, which would/may be usable on modern hardware depending on how you look at it. I run Gentoo ~2008 SPARC V8 (32-bit) ISA using Qemu, but boy is it slow! I have to use 6 distcc vms under emulation to compile at any rate faster than 9600 baud. Cross-compiling is a reality for most of us, which isn't practical to your scenario since the idea is to play around with the shiny interface. I still like the Rhapsody Platinum kludge and OS 9 for some god awful reason.

Top  Profile