BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 1h, 21m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5714MB of 12281MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:20 am 
FTP Access

I was just wondering... Does OS X have support for being used as a Live DVD/USB?

(In fact, I know Apple is really restrictive so this may not happen... Just wondering though.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64
Yes - you can install OS X to an external drive and run it from there. Not sure on a Live DVD, but USB definitely works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 pm 
FTP Access

Awesome. I'll see if I can install it to (at least) a 32GB flash drive and run it from there. Does this work anyways?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
System 6.0.8L
Yes, it can... I successfully made a live 8 GB USB of OS X 10.3.9 "Panther" years ago on my iBook Graphite SE as an experiment. I consider the fact it was able to boot on this classic a miracle, really, because the G3 models are not supposed to support USB booting, and on every other G3 machine I've tried it on, it doesn't work (without spending the night messing with OpenFirmware for a while), so I can confirm that. In any case, yes, it does boot up, but I wouldn't recommend it because it puts a lot of unnecessary wear on the flash drive that it wasn't built for, and it is seriously slow. My suggestion is at least to use a USB 2.0 port, because anything else is incredibly slow. If you're truly interested in running OS X on an external drive, use FireWire. An original iPod with FireWire, actually, works great for this purpose, although I don't know how long I'd keep it running with the little microdrive in there, as all those rapid reads and writes would definitely change it's life expectancy.

Now... if you are talking about the "new" OS X that is designed for Intel Macs and beyond (i.e. the Hackintoshes), then yes, it can *definitely* be run from an external drive with no problem. There's plenty of guides on the Web for this! Try it and see how well this works for you, but as always with anything risky, BACK UP your stuff FIRST, and if anything happens to be lost or damaged, it is your responsibility...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
NetBSD users know about the restricted Apple firmware.
Think about that:
A company presents a blue computer line as superior,its easy to open(desktops only), its fast (except the DVD-RAM drives) but your pheripherals wont work because they just included "legacy free" buses and after you bought new drives it wont let you boot even when you use internal DVD-ROMs not on the HCL.As you swap the HDD you find your computer has only half the cache as the more expensive version and the HDD controller chip has weird bugs on large disks.
A year later, the cheap version of the successor model:
The manufacturer only changes the colour to Office Grey and includes a new CPU.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows DP 8102
Yes, but I would not recommend doing that. I managed to install OS X Lion (10.7.1/2) onto a Sony 8GB drive. And it boots up on a Pentium Dual Core machine. But I got a lot of kext errors and mouse isn't working. The keyboard works fine though. (I use a wireless mouse and keyboard with the same dongle.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:23 pm 
FTP Access

tonychau77 wrote:
But I got a lot of kext errors and mouse isn't working. The keyboard works fine though. (I use a wireless mouse and keyboard with the same dongle.)

OH NO.

See, kids, this is why you shouldn't think of OS X as Linux.
It is a restricted, proprietary, security-enforced FreeBSD operating system that is designed to run legally ONLY on Apple-designed computers.

So I guess my answer's no.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 95B
Last year, I copied my entire HDD from my Mac on to the external HDD connected with USB, and formated my internal drive to reinstall OS X. Now, if I need an old file, I just plug in my old HDD and reboot my Mac while holding the ALT key, and boot in to my old desktop from the external HDD. It works slow, but it works.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:21 am 

Mac OS has been able to boot from USB since circa Panther, as after64k stated - I personally only have experience with 10.4+ on G4s and Intels but it's worked perfectly fine for me.

Definitely don't do it with USB1.1, though. You'll tear your hair out at the speed (or lack thereof) - FireWire boot has also worked since FireWire was a thing, afaik.

Macs don't seem to much care where their boot media is, which adds a neat side effect - Apple introduced a function on FireWire-equipped macs wherein you could hold down T while booting and they'd go into "target disk mode" - connecting its firewire port to another mac would result in the target disk mac's internal HDDs showing up as external drives. You can even boot a mac off another mac that's in target disk mode! Quite useful if you have a hardware fault or just want to make a whole-drive backup without a boot CD/DVD.

Though, slightly off topic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 6.3.9600.16497
Theoretically, seems like a yes. I think Apple computers these days may allow booting from USBs as long as it's configured properly. And if you're using a proper Mac or a Clover boot loader Hackintosh, it's even more easy with the recovery system.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 pm 
Donator

Yes, OS X can be booted from an usb drive. I've had most success with USB hdds though.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
System 6.0.8L
Quote:
Mac OS has been able to boot from USB since circa Panther, as after64k stated

Well... actually, Mac OS 9.2 could boot off USB on the Special Edition (SE) versions of the iMac and iBook G3 -- the speed was slow, but actually bearable. An early version of OS X on a USB drive, however... was (is, if you try it today) VERY slow. Back then, it was encouraged to do this sort of thing with the more capable FireWire instead -- the OS X iPod method was particularly cool. :D

Regardless, booting off USB keys required a SE model (I think?) or a late G4, as things in between that were finicky and required manually probing for it in OpenFirmware. On such stubborn hardware, it was just a matter of doing a quick dev / ls, then devalias once you located what you were looking for, then you'd just use boot to call your device. Even booting Gnu/Linux on these with yaboot was fun whilst the PC world had grub to eat... but the disk table was a pain sometimes.

Now, with USB 2.0 and Intel versions of OS X, and a mid-range USB drive, you should or will get enough speed to use it as an emergency or install disk. An external HD is actually very usable as a backup system on a supported Mac. Hackintoshes are a very different, due to a broad range of unsupported components... and because there's no universal standard for them like on actual Mac ("Apple-branded", that is) computer models, I cannot guarantee it would work as efficiently on those. And I do write out of experience, after Hackintoshing on HP and Dell models.

But the long answer is yes... all versions of Mac OS X (and later versions of Mac OS 9) can indeed boot from USB drives. The feasibility of doing it and your success of doing it depends on your hardware and effort put forth.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 am 
Donator

Yes! You can make one!
However, I am always trying to figuring out the driver issue...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Solaris 10 u8
The answer is yes, and it works like a charm if you're using a non modified OS X from Apple to boot on real Macs that are supported by that specific release.
There are a few examples of that being done, but I think that the best one is Target Disk Mode. It basically means that you can make your own Mac behave as a firewire disk and boot the OS on another system. OS X is agnostic at the method of connection of the drive. It supports Firewire, USB, SATA (directly of via Thunderbolt), SAS, IDE and some SCSI controllers. If you move a disk from SATA to USB or from SATA to SAS it will still work as designed, if not with a performance penalty. The firmware (EFI) supports USB, Firewire, SATA and IDE.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
As far as I know yes.

The way I know of is you get another Mac, get a copy of the version that you want, install UniBeast and use it to make a bootable USB, plug it into your computer and run it. Then you install MultiBeast and get the drivers you need.
You can get UniBeast and MultiBeast from Tonymacx86.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:47 am 
FTP Access

I've ran OS X on a FireWire HDD, worked great. Good for a backup OS on old USB 1.1 systems.

OT: 6.0.8L eh? How about 6.0.7.1 running on a PowerBook 140 or 170? System 6 on a computer which wasn't meant to run System 6. Also I have yet to try System 6 on a 68040 accelerated 68030 host computer, but I'm told a fast 040 will have a major "scoot factor" under System 6.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
System 6.0.8L
@Dezzo4: Indeed, S/SW 6.0.7.1 is a rather interesting release -- did you get this build from the 92 dev disc, KanjiTalk or ETO build? In any case, impressive.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 6.3.9600.16497
Delracman wrote:
As far as I know yes.

The way I know of is you get another Mac, get a copy of the version that you want, install UniBeast and use it to make a bootable USB, plug it into your computer and run it. Then you install MultiBeast and get the drivers you need.
You can get UniBeast and MultiBeast from Tonymacx86.

No need. On an authentic Apple computer, format the flash drive to Mac OS X Journaled, install, and cmd + c and selecting the drive would boot like a normal computer.

On Hackinsoshes, install Clover to host, format to HFS+ Journaled, install, format USB EFI partition to FAT32, install Clover there, and viola.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:16 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
As I said, that was the only method I knew of. There are probably other ways I do not know of, but thanks for imforming me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:40 pm 

Favourite OS
macOS
yes, it does support live cd/usb, but it is very cumbersome and it requires things to be done manually

See this article here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple- ... tall-os-x/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.3
I would suggest to take the Install DVDs as starting point: They are live systems… just with the installer launched instead of Finder. One would need to find out how they made it work without having a writeable file system. Maybe the settings and caches are stored in a RAM disk, which vanishes after reboot. One could add an option to mount an existing harddisk partition, put a HFS+ filesystem into a single image file located in the root directory and automatically try to mount it each time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR2
For people who have done this on usb 1.1 how long did it take to boot to desktop. I might want to try using mac os 10.4 on a usb stick on my power mac g4.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
System 6.0.8L
I cannot give a definitive answer, because it depends on the speed of the computer... if your G4 is older, it could take longer than a newer generation. In any case, with USB 1.x, it is quite slow; expect about 5-15 minutes. When I last did it, it took ~ 10 minutes with 10.3.9 to get to the Desktop with automatic login on my Clamshell SE.

With all this being mentioned, I would *highly* recommend using FireWire instead if you can as it is more reliable, faster, and is supported. If you do not have any drives or peripherals left that use FireWire, the original iPods all support it, or you can use the internal hard drive of a secondary Mac as a startup disk with Target Disk Mode.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:20 am 

For the record, Apple computers have live booted from read-only drives (CD/DVD) since the mid-90's at least. I used to purposely keep my System Folder less than 640MB so that I could boot form a single CD-R until I got a DVD-R drive. And then I used DVD's until backing up via HDD became cost effective. If you're booting a USB-boot capable Mac from a write-protected flash drive, the system should just work (albeit without the ability to save changes).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can OS X can be used as a live USB?        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:24 am 

Yes, I agreed with Biohead. As you can install OS X to an external drive and it can be run from their only. For the more You can see this post:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

Top  Profile  WWW