BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 16h, 48m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 1838MB of 3137MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How much of an improvement is Leopard?        Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:27 pm 
I haven't tried the prievew, but I hear it's circulating around. Has anyone tried it, and is it really a big deal? I was unimpressed by the new features, actually. Tiger added a lot more, IMO.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:58 am 
leopard is just tiger with a few more features but it looks cool

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:15 am 
FTP Access

I did like the graphics on the Time Machine though, functionality-wise it's kinda mundane but it looks cool :p

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:09 am 
FTP Access

Keep in mind that Apple has already said there is more in store for Leopard that they are not ready to release yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:26 pm 
Donator

from what i've heard, around the time of WWDC the engineers at Apple were laughing about the WWDC demo because it didn't contain any of the really impressive features slated for 10.5.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Hmm, my freind is going to buy a Mac, do u think i shud tell him to hold on so he gets a mac with the updated OS?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:47 pm 
FTP Access

Ehh may as well wait if said friend isn't in a hurry :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:49 pm 
FTP Access

The whole 64 bit thing sounds good to me, it's about time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 am 
FTP Access

kidde wrote:
The whole 64 bit thing sounds good to me, it's about time.

As is with Core Animation...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:55 pm 
Isn't the kernel redesigned for optimal performance on the Core architecture? I read somewhere (OSx86 Project?) that the optimizations could potentially lead to 100% increase in performance.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:51 am 
Yes, the kernel was redesigned, but not only for that reason. I believe the main reason is to stop OSx86 from happening.

Leopard is cool, I had it before. The best part is spaces, you need to use it to understand how cool it is! :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Yes from what i can pick up All of the BIOS references fin Leopard are not there so it's going to be harder to for hackers to make a generic PC version of Leopard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Mac OS X Leopard        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I heard Leopard, in the leaked builds, was feature-incomplete. Who knows, maybe apple puposefuly leaked the WWDC build to gain some media attention, but it would have been better with the undisclosed leopard builds. I hav never used it and probably wont, bcuz i dont hav an intel mac. I'm happy with my ibook and Mac OS X Tiger. Maybe ill upgrade if it isnt too slow on PPC hardware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:40 am 
Donator

The Leopard WWDC wasn't feature complete and very buggy as well. I will surely get 10.5 when it's done and released as my primary machines are Macs (one Intel, one PPC), but I think Leopard will run well on a PPC G4 if there's enough memory. The leaked betas don't seem to like a G3 very much, though, and I'm afraid Apple will eventually drop the G3 support in 10.5.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
thanx 4 helpin me 2. I was lookin at apple's leopard page and noticed sumthin- i saw a reference to Newton. It was just in the corner of my eye- then I saw the words "compatibility with the Newton SmartPhone" im puzzled, then i went to apple's old newton website- theres an apache server set up there. Maybe Apple is bringing back the Newton? I looked on that leopard page again a few minutes later and- its gone. Maybe apple made a mistake? we will find out soon though, after all, it is apple, isnt it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:24 am 
According to the comments on Macrumors forums, current preview version doesn't bring anything "massive". But I believe Apple will bring something to surprise us all in January :wink:

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:27 am 
Donator

Let's hope so... :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:23 pm 
FTP Access

Im a windows user, and I saw the demo video on apple's website, and the features like spaces are the things that I think will make people move over(Im even considering it if it ever comes out for generic intel hardware).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:19 am 
Leopard looks very cool, but i am a little bit worried about the PowerPC support. Steve said something about performance improvements on the intel macs, especially for spotlight. I hope it is not that optimized for the Intel platform, i want to keep my G4.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:57 pm 
Donator

I think it'll continue to run smoothly on G4 and G5. They'll probably reduce or even drop the G3 support, though. At least the leaked betas (which seem to run better on Intel Macs than on PPC ones) have serious glitches on a G3 if you can get them to install...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:38 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
I think it'll continue to run smoothly on G4 and G5. They'll probably reduce or even drop the G3 support, though. At least the leaked betas (which seem to run better on Intel Macs than on PPC ones) have serious glitches on a G3 if you can get them to install...

They seem to be compiling bits of it for Velocity Engine (which is only on the G4 and G5 CPUs) only - so far things like Safari won't work on a G3 because they're the new versions, but if they redo the Finder or anything crucial like that for the final version, it'll be pretty difficult. It makes me hate Apple as they're obsoleting the G3s just to try and get you to buy a new Mac, not because the G3s are too slow to run Leopard (I recently put Tiger on my dad's G3 366Mhz iBook and it runs great, and they could probably optimise Leopard to be even faster on G3 if they wanted to).

The G3s are awesome Macs, and it's so cool to be able to get a free computer that can run the latest advanced OS (you do quite often see free G3s nowadays, but never free Vista-capable machines as the Also, if I was one of the people who bought one of the last G3 iBooks (900 MHz - plenty for Leopard and everything you could want) only 3 years ago and was told it was obsolete already, I would probably never buy Apple again

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:01 am 
FTP Access

i don't think we'll truly know what much of an improvement it is until it's fully released.

Jobs said there are extra features that haven't been discussed...i trust that's the truth and we'll see how awesome 10.5 will be...here's to hoping at least.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:34 am 
I heard rumors that there is going to be a vector based UI in it. Does anyone have a better insight into this?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:40 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Orry Verducci wrote:
I heard rumors that there is going to be a vector based UI in it. Does anyone have a better insight into this?

I beleive that is correct.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:03 am 
That's good to hear. I've done a search and found two screenshots of this new UI at a high resolution (although it seems like an early beta as some things are still using the bitmap graphics):

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4764/picture21ad5.png
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5069/picture7nt4.png