BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 17h, 8m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5597MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I let A.D.D. get the better of me today, and I somehow ended up running across refrences of "Star Trek", a Mac OS for x86 systems (back when system 6 was popular).
Is there _any_ builds of this anywhere for use?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
pizzaboy192 wrote:
I let A.D.D. get the better of me today, and I somehow ended up running across refrences of "Star Trek", a Mac OS for x86 systems (back when system 6 was popular).
Is there _any_ builds of this anywhere for use?

No.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:02 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
The grape-vine-o-hope says that at least one developer still has it installed on a computer somewhere in his basement.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Frozenport wrote:
The grape-vine-o-hope says that at least one developer still has it installed on a computer somewhere in his basement.

Actually, I think the OS is only on one HD somewhere, prolly lost in the mists of time.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 am 
FTP Access

It seems unlikely. Even when Apple was making the migration to the PowerPC, a processor that they were involved in developing, much of the OS code was emulated. Only specific/common routines were re-written for the PowerPC. I would be shocked if there was a version with viable x86 code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 am 
that would be really cool to get a hold of.

PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:54 am 
FTP Access

I read somewhere once(maybe a thread here) that all that they accomplished in the project was to port some system components such as finder quicktime etc. never the whole OS or anything close, although it is likely that they were working on the whole OS, The only thing I've ever seen that was close although it was openstep was yellowbox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:57 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
From what my searching has yeilded, It appears that there might be a build lurking somewhere, but all it is is the core of system6 ported to an x86 platform, and was able to do a few basic functions, as in QuickTime, but not much else.
It would be cool to see this in use, but I don't see much use for it in today's world, seeing as my Mac collection all runs System 7 (atleast) just fine.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
So basically what is star trek mac os

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
From Wikipedia
Quote:
Star Trek was the code name given to a prototype project at Apple Computer during 1992 and 1993. Star Trek was to be a version of the Macintosh operating system which ran on Intel-compatible x86 personal computers (at that time, the Mac OS ran only on Apple's own computers based on the Motorola 68000 architecture). The project was named after the Star Trek science fiction franchise with the slogan "To boldly go where no Mac has gone before."

The developers eventually reached a point where they could boot an Intel 486 PC (with very specific hardware) into System 7, and on-screen it was indistinguishable from a Mac. However, every program needed to be ported to the new x86 architecture in order to run. Supposedly programs could be ported with little effort because Apple developed equivalent headers for x86.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_project

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 am 
FTP Access

Unfortunately the article doesn't cite any sources. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:14 pm 
FTP Access

I don't think *anything* major got off the floor pre-Jobs. I read in a book (that Cocoa Programming one by Hillegrass) that Taligent took years to do anything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm 
I actually knew a contact about 13 years ago that was affiliated with this, but I can't even remember who at this point. I wrote him asking about preserving what he had left of the code for posterity, but nothing ever came of it.

PostPost subject: Re: Apple's "star trek" OS        Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 am 
Donator

If someone was really ambitious, someone could take the Mac OS 7.1 source on the FTP and port it to x86...

Top  Profile