BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 0h, 50m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5670MB of 11102MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 pm 
FTP Access

The Mac OS iso images on the ftp seem to be useless. They either won't boot or in the case of the OS 8.6 image my Powerbook won't even read it. I used Nero to burn the images to CD. I've noticed Mac OS images are usually in dmg or some other format. Doesn't ISO strip away the resource forks or something like that? In any case I can't seem to get them working. :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
What format are the images on the server in; .cdr, .dmg, img, .iso?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:02 pm 
Administrator

ISO files doesn't need resource forks, those are only for files within the MacOS file system to identify the file type. ISO is just a copy of the entire disc, regardless of what's on the disc.

I've burned those MacOS versions myself without any problems. Are you sure your Powerbook even likes the CDR:s you put in?

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:22 am 
FTP Access

They are iso format. I'm not sure if it's the discs or not, it usually reads them fine. The drive is getting old though so maybe that's the problem. Does it matter how they are burned; track at once, disc at once, things like that?

I have the original Mac OS 8.1 disc and the 8.6 update, but doing it that way won't let me use HFS+ for the drive. No big deal though, it probably doesn't matter on a laptop that old. It's a Powerbook 1400c by the way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 am 
Administrator

"Mac" ISO:s should always be burned as DAO since they DO contain multiple sessions at times (like the OSX ISO:s which contains two sessions, one PC Support session (for Bootcamp) and one where the actual OSX installer files are).

Have you tried to directly mount the ISO in OSX or something and see if that works? I can't exclude that the ISO may be "broken" somehow, but I've used it myself and didn't have any problem (at that time).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 am 
FTP Access

I burned it using Track at Once which was the Nero default, so that may be the problem. I'll try DAO tomorrow and see if that works. Unfortunately I don't have any OSX system to test it on, just the laptop. It's my first Mac so I don't know all that much about the platform yet.

Edit: Tried burning in DAO mode but no difference. I was mistaken about it not reading it though, apparently I had booted with extensions off so the CD wasn't working. It reads both discs I made fine, but it won't boot from it. I've tried holding both the key combination and setting the CD as the startup disc. I can see the CD light blinking when I turn it on but it does not start from the CD. My other bootable discs boot fine, so either there is something wrong with that OS 8.6 image or Nero is not burning it right for some reason. I guess I could try the 8.5 image.

Thanks for the help though. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

I actually ran into a similar problem with my new G4. Since it didn't have an OS I tried to download and burn the 9.2.2 and 10.1 discs that were labeled "Powermac G4" but they didn't work. However I burned the 10.2 CDs just fine with Nero.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1
I've burned MacOS 8.6 and booted from it just fine (on an old pink iMac with 64mb ram). The image i used was MacOS86.iso (CRC32 hash; 561F63F1, got it in rar file from a torrent), and i probably just chucked it through imgburn.

There is a key you have to hold down to make the old macs boot from CD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:09 am 
Administrator

If you could send this image up I could compare it to the one on the server.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1
I'm on a kinda limited connection, sorry, but this was the torrent i used. There are still seeds.

Torrent link removed due to rules violation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 8.6 Problem        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
A great way to see if mac ISOs are readable by a mac without having one is using isobuster:

http://www.isobuster.com/it/dl.php?d=is ... om&v=1&l=0

if you open the ISO with that software, and if it's a mac image, you'll notice a green or gray rectangle on the directory tree with "HFS" or "HFS+" written inside (which states for mac filesystem).

If only appears a red or blue rectangle with inside "ISO" or ">>", or worse, no directory tree, it means your ISO has been damaged or greated in an incorrect way.

Also remember to keep the C key pressed during boot if you want to boot your mac from a CD and your hard drive has a mac partition.

Top  Profile