BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 10h, 2m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5089MB of 11933MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
I’m starting this poll because I want to know which is the best web browser for Classic Mac.

Don't need a poll, this is a discussion forum, so discuss it instead... /mrp

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
TheDosProgrammer wrote:
I’m starting this poll because I want to know which is the best web browser for Classic Mac.

what are your specs or what machine ?
im using a iMac G3 with os 9.2 with internet explorer and tiger with safari...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Classilla seems to work rather well, you do need a decent amount of RAM for it though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
I think Classic Mac not Power Mac (Mac OS 1-8).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IRIX
If it's 68k, IE 4.01 and NS Navigator 4.08 would be my choise of browsers... iCab and misc. browsers just haven't worked that well for me on pre-ppc machinery.
Then again, WannaBe might be a nice pick for text-only browsing. Keep in mind that every other page today will crash the browser or bring down the system :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
Thank you for help, I understand that these browsers won't read any images, videos, html 5 etc. I just need a browser to view some text and load some small (up to 128k) images.

Edit: Tried iCab today, working well :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:07 am 

Favourite OS
Favorite*
Sorry for the huge bump.
I would think that IE would work the best with 68k macs

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Use Classilla in PowerMac, works better in System 9 and loads mobile pages so it's acceptable. For 68xxx Mac or pre-PowerMac I think there's no browser that won't crash almost everytime inside an emulator, but you can try iCab, but taking mind that you might have browser crashes inside an emulator, in a real Mac, that won't happens

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The best web browser for Classic Mac        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:45 pm 

Favourite OS
Win98 SE
In the classic mac era, the main browser was Netscape Navigator 3. Some people used to like Netscape 4, but it was generally considered too bloated and slow for classic macs to handle. Internet Explorer was hated by most Mac folks and was not very popular.

Top  Profile