BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 2h, 48m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5231MB of 12070MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Build applications for Mac OS 7/8/9?        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
I want to build a really simple Mac OS 7/8/9 application, but I can't find any info about existing SDKs. Do you know any?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Build applications for Mac OS 7/8/9?        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:31 pm 

Zacchi4k wrote:
I want to build a really simple Mac OS 7/8/9 application, but I can't find any info about existing SDKs. Do you know any?

You first need a compiler and a build toolchain. MPW from Apple and Codewarrior from Metrowerks offer all you need for MacOS development. No opensource toolchains/compilers are know to work with MacOS classic versions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Build applications for Mac OS 7/8/9?        Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:02 am 
FTP Access

The easiest development environment to use is Metrowerks CodeWarrior.
CodeWarrior Pro 6 was the last version to include 68k compilers, in case you want to target 68k Macs. Pro 6 is slightly too old to run natively on OS X, but Pro 7 or 8 will run very well on OS 9 and OS X.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Build applications for Mac OS 7/8/9?        Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:30 pm 
FTP Access

The ADC archive is around that still contains documentation for classic applications. I would check archive.org and waybackmachine as a start. Apple ceased developing OS 9 in 2002 and ceased hardware support in mid-2003. MPW (Macintosh Programmer's Workshop) was common in the early days but Codewarrior eventually became the defacto version around 1995-1996 with MacOS 8. Version 7 was the most commonly sold as cited by Classilla's build page. They removed M68K support in the IDE after version 7 I think. There are gold versions as well for some versions, though I'm unsure what's different.

Classic was mostly written in object pascal and m68k assembly and traces remained until OS X Tiger due to bluebox emulation included during the 8.1 M68K/PPC split. Between OS 7 and 9 Apple replaced some code using C/C++ but not all of it was actually PPC native even at the end. I got a PowerBook TI 667 off ebay with some extras for $145 and I would suggest trying to find a real PPC system capable of booting classic natively due to unimplemented traps in SheepShaver which cause the emulator to fault and I suspect there are many low-level cases invoking bugs in the M68K DR/JIT that will trigger this especially when developing. You can cross-compile with Codewarrior and test using SheepShaver/Basillisk II all the same as you get further in your studies. Compiling for anything before MacOS 7.5.5 probably won't work in this configuration however.

Dealing with pre OS 8 will involve MPW and Mini vMac as finding a native M68K box is going to cost a pretty penny and is severely limited as things were at that time in computing. A Quadra 900 would be ideal for M68K development but I have not seen a complete one in over a decade. The 900 was capable of addressing 256MiB of RAM in an era where PCs still came with 4MB.

Top  Profile