BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 62d, 14h, 17m | CPU: 54% | MEM: 5206MB of 12211MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Newbie Question        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:46 am 

Favourite OS
Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to upload some stuff that I think isn't in the archive.
Question is, is it okay to use DiskCopy or Shrinkwrap to do the dumping? And is it okay to use StuffIt to compress?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Newbie Question        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP, 7, macOS Mojave
Depends in which format they save it. CCD or MDF are needed.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Newbie Question        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 am 
Administrator

Considering the formats the OP asks about it's most likely not CD-ROM discs but floppy images...

To answer, if you make floppy images on a Mac then yes, you need to use DiskCopy and stuff it into an archive to make sure we can open it again on a different system (HFS metadata and all that).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Newbie Question        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
Considering the formats the OP asks about it's most likely not CD-ROM discs but floppy images...

To answer, if you make floppy images on a Mac then yes, you need to use DiskCopy and stuff it into an archive to make sure we can open it again on a different system (HFS metadata and all that).

However I don't see what MDF format adds compared to ISO. Most image files made by CDImage and some other tools are ISOs and with Alcohol120% or Winhex you can surely get an "original" file, the same ISO file as what the CD was originally burnt of.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Newbie Question        Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:51 pm 
Administrator

If you do some basic research you will quickly see what the differences are. We also have several threads in this forum covering this so no need to take up the discussion here again...

But simply put, ISO is inadequate in so many ways and not good enough for proper universal preservation of optical media.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Newbie Question        Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 pm 
FTP Access

The subcode or "96 data" and various multitrack features are not properly dumped by iso itself, hence why bin/cue exists (Mainly should ever only be used with existing Dreamcast dumps), but as Mrpijey suggests, there are other things that more modern formats provide. I tend to honor keeping everything I get from BA or from the rips I personally make and only spin-off as something like iso if I am using it on a system incapable of mounting the format.

MacOS Classic is a big one since most are iso dumps called ".toast" whereas toast basically just fuses the bits a cuesheet adds on PC's anyways. The only thing isos faithfully seem to keep between conversions is the boot area, and that depends on the tool. For the sake of simplicity and the need for the information that is contained in subcode/meta, given the sheer size of the collection here alone, it's just practical to use Alcohol and be done with it.

I've read the information about low-level copy protections, the differences between media (GM vs recordable) and the reality is that even floppies contain hidden information, such as wide tracks and double-sided ones for late 80's Macintosh and Amiga, hence why Kyroflux readers exist to scour magnetic information off old disks. Additionally important is that error correction is needed as cheap compact disks are designed to last 20 years, whereas most of the abandonware content is about that age. Pressed disks may be rated at 30 years, but I honestly don't even know why floppies can still be read after this long.. maybe luck.

The reasons to maintain all the low-level information is preventative rather than to circumvent the intentional defects created with some titles to prevent the copying in the first place. To be able to reburn the information "just because" is really what's important, and that can't faithfully be done with a format that strips the information out. I hope this clarifies the general reasoning.

Top  Profile