BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 14h, 19m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 4997MB of 12235MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I downloaded the Mac OS 7.6 CD from the FTP and it is in MDF format. However I can't seem to find a way to extract the thing. Anything on Windows is no good as it won't read the HFS filesystem. Is there any software out there that can mount/extract MDF files on either OS X (PowerPC or Intel) or Mac OS 9?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Did you try UltraISO? It may supports CD's HFS, but I'm not sure. And Deamon tools may works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:01 am 

Goldfish64 wrote:
I downloaded the Mac OS 7.6 CD from the FTP and it is in MDF format. However I can't seem to find a way to extract the thing. Anything on Windows is no good as it won't read the HFS filesystem. Is there any software out there that can mount/extract MDF files on either OS X (PowerPC or Intel) or Mac OS 9?

Why you would want to do that? Just read it with ISOBuster (Interesting to see what's there but no useful at all), mount it with Alcohol and direct your emulation software to the mounted virtual drive, or burn it directly to CD if you want to reinstall some real hardware with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Goldfish64 wrote:

Why you would want to do that? Just read it with ISOBuster (Interesting to see what's there but no useful at all), mount it with Alcohol and direct your emulation software to the mounted virtual drive, or burn it directly to CD if you want to reinstall some real hardware with it.

I don't feel like wasting a CD since I can just do an install from a network share.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:03 am 

Goldfish64 wrote:
I don't feel like wasting a CD since I can just do an install from a network share.

Then you're out of luck on this one it seems, because that's not how install works for MacOS. To start, if you extract the content to a common PC filesystem, you will destroy the resource fork part of these files, and without that the extracted content is useless. And while is true some older Macs can boot from network, you can't just take the files and boot from them with your know PXE software from a PC, that will not work at all. You need actually a special BOOTP server installed on a Mac to serve these files.

What i generally do to install these systems is using a bootfloppy to partition the HDD in the real Mac, take the HDD from it, already partitioned and connect it to the PC, then use Gemulator Explorer to copy the install folders from the mounted with Alcohol MacCD to the partitioned HFS drive. Then return the drive to the Mac, boot it with the boot floppy again, and then run the installer from the HDD. It works nice almost all the time.

Old Lauri's BasiliskII build also supports accessing real HDD drives, and it can also see Alcohol Virtual CD drives, so you can do copy operation from there. Both Gemulator and BasiliskII require ASPI to see real HDDs, so you want to do this from an older Windows version, like XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Goldfish64 wrote:

Then you're out of luck on this one it seems, because that's not how install works for MacOS. To start, if you extract the content to a common PC filesystem, you will destroy the resource fork part of these files, and without that the extracted content is useless. And while is true some older Macs can boot from network, you can't just take the files and boot from them with your know PXE software from a PC, that will not work at all. You need actually a special BOOTP server installed on a Mac to serve these files.

What i generally do to install these systems is using a bootfloppy to partition the HDD in the real Mac, take the HDD from it, already partitioned and connect it to the PC, then use Gemulator Explorer to copy the install folders from the mounted with Alcohol MacCD to the partitioned HFS drive. Then return the drive to the Mac, boot it with the boot floppy again, and then run the installer from the HDD. It works nice almost all the time.

Well actually I have my iMac G3 set up to serve files over AppleShare and AppleTalk to a Performa booted up using a System 7.5 Network Access Disk. So far Daemon Tools for Mac (not free, 20 day trial) is able to mount the MDF on my MacBook Pro.

I think I'm getting closer. I'll also look for Linux tools as well, as it is able to read/write HFS.

EDIT: I downloaded this tool onto my Windows laptop and converted the MDF to ISO. I put the ISO on a flash drive and macOS 10.12 is able to mount the ISO just fine. I'll see if I can get the contents to the iMac and will post back with the results.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:01 am 
FTP Access

Yeah I would convert it to an ISO using mdf2iso (should be installable on OS X using Homebrew/Tigerbrew).
Doesn't exist for OS 9, but maybe I'll do a port. Shouldn't be hard, and I've been wanting to port some modern utilities (7zip, etc)

On OS 9 you can mount the ISO using Toast (5 is the latest version for OS 8/9) or Virtual DVD Utility.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
So far I've been able to mount the resulting ISO on macOS 10.12 and copy the files to a HFS+ formatted USB drive. I can then connect that to the iMac G3 running Mac OS 9.2.2 and either access it directly though AppleShare or copy it to the hard disk and access it though AppleShare from the Performa using the System 7.5 Network Access Disk. I haven't tried installing 7.6 yet but the installer appears to launch fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extracting Mac OS installation files from a MDF image        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2
Daemon Tools for Mac can create/read .MDF files. However, unlike the Windows version, it is shareware.

Top  Profile