BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 22h, 10m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 5017MB of 10899MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?        Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
I downloaded the Italian Mac OS system 7.6.1 floppies from the FTP, but they come in a .bin format and neither BasiliskII nor Mini vMac can read them. If I mount them in a system 7 in both emulators, it asks to initialize them.
I've also tried to extract them with the unar utility, but the file I get is still not read.
Can anyone help me?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?        Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:33 pm 
FTP Access

They're very likely BinHex files, you can open them in a text editor to confirm.
They'll need to be extracted before an emulator can read them. StuffIt Expander was the typical Mac utility used to extract them but there should be apps for other platforms too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?        Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:59 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
mrpippy wrote:
They're very likely BinHex files

MacBinary most likely. BinHex is a different encoding. The disk images would be encoded in such a format to preserve the resource forks of the disk copy images.

If you want to use it in an emulator, programs that can access HFS formatted volumes can typically do the conversion for you on-the-fly (i.e. HFV explorer)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS 7.6.1 floppies on the FTP in .bin format?        Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
6001 SP0
I have my own issue here viewtopic.php?f=64&t=40378 with greek versions but no extra help, advice or anything more guidance?

Top  Profile